Qld Xmas In July 2007 - Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work with a well known twitcher who had some Belgian guests :)
Mort Subite Gueuze - beautiful to look at - sour and honeyed :)

Mort Subite :D obviously it wasn't.

Nice score Perry. Thanks Ben, will have to check out Lasseters.

12 -Chad - Wit

Pours a good hazy gold with the yeast roused and supports a medium white head. Well carbonated with some very small particles getting a conveyor ride - this beer presents very well Chad. Citrus and spice aroma with busy complex flavours, eventually the citrus manages to out muscle the spice, quite delicious - (although you probably would have been able to back off the quantities of biologicals just a bit).

:D SOmehow every now and then one of my case swap beers goes on an adventure!

First PistolPatch takes one across the Nullabour and now this...

At least you got to drink yours though...

Maybe not as far, but shaken to within an inch of it's life! It was nectar after XXXX Gold!

Just Drinking Mothballs #13 now.

Brilliant, great head, need more of them, can't wait to go back to Jimboomba again - I'll stop by. Excellent clarity, Yum. :super:

InCider.

# 17. NickB's - Very Ordinary Bitter

Appearance - Poured with light head, lasted reasonably well and laced well, good clarity and carbonation, a beautiful dark amber colour.

Aroma - Typical and to style. Good malt/hop balance.

Taste - Full bodied, Carbonation light, good mouthfeel, bitterness - on the high side for style but good.

Overall - I really could have settled in on this beer.

#13. Mothballs - American Amber Ale

Appearance - Difficult to pour high carbonation, good head, lasted well, great clarity, nice amber/red colour, perfect for style.

Aroma - Typical and to style, great malt/hop balance.

Taste - Medium body, good balance. Carbonation high. A very good beer, very refreshing. I WANT MORE

Overall - VERY GOOD. CONGRATULATIONS.

#8. Bonj - Bohemian Pilsner

Appearance: Poured with little head, Good clarity and colour.

Aroma: I have to say I thought there was some diacetyl to this beer. Bready aroma but good clean hop aroma and a little malt.

Taste: Thought this was a well balanced beer, but it had a slight grainy flavour up front, hops good and bitterness excellent and slightly dry.

Overall: Light/Medium body, carbonation is low for style. A slight dryness or diacetyl to this beer. Comments Bonj? Good hop aroma for a Bohemian, but a touch on the light side.

G'day Screwtop, thanks for the review. I hope there isn't diacetyl because the diacetyl rest went for a week on this one due to other commitments. I mashed it at 63deg, and attempted a decoction to bring it up to 66 (can't remember how long), but it didn't seem to raise the mash temp... probably didn't take enough out.

5. Browndog - American Amber Ale

Didn't get much of a head when pouring. Smells divine. Darkish amber but appears to be very clear. Hops evident on tasting but I have no idea what they are. There is some sort of taste (apart from the hops) but I cannot pick what it is. Makes this drink very morish. While there appears to be no head, it is still very well carbonated.
Why do I only have one bottle of this, although at 6.6% it's probably a good idea. Time to relax and enjoy the rest of this.

# 4. Jye - American Pie Rye

Appearance - Poured with good head, lasted reasonably well and laced reasonably well, poor clarity after 8 days at 0 cold conditioning, might have been a bit over the 6 SRM limit for this style, maybe the cloudiness was to blame.

Aroma - Good American hop profile with slight rye spice. Good rye malt/hop balance for the style.

Taste - Med/Full bodied, carbonation light, good mouthfeel, bitterness - on the high side for style but good.

Overall - I like this beer and find it interesting, rye spice, American hops, bitterness high, not a session beer. A beer with complexity, makes you want to revisit aromas and search for flavour profile changes as temp increases after pouring.

3. Frogman - Bad Frog APA

Appearance - Poured with high carbonation, good head, lasted well, great clarity, nice pale amber colour within style.

Aroma - Typical and to style, good malt/hop balance.

Taste - Medium body, ,carbonation high. Good mouthfeel, bitternesss midway for style. A very good beer.

Overall - VERY GOOD. Can this be K & K? Have had a couple of Kit beers as good as this but I must say that is a rare thing.

Mothballs American Amber Ale

Aroma: Malty/caramelly/toffee nose with strong candy type esters. Some underlying woody hops, but aroma definitely balanced towards malt.

Appearance: Poured with a thick head of coarse bubbles. Head is supported by good carbonation in the beer. Clarity is excellent and colour is a deep orange/red - beautiful!

Flavour: Initially a good hit of hops with an assertive bitterness that lasts all the way through to the finish. Quite a contrast to the malty aroma, this a very much a hop dominated flavour. Good underlying maltiness though, as it supports the hop flavour. Hop cvariety is american, but not overtly fruity/citrusy/passionfruity. The hop flavour is more woody. Finish is bitter and dry, but very clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Carbonation is on the high side and does give a minor carbonation bite. A touch of astringency from the hops.

Overall: This is a fantastic beer, Mothballs! I love the malty nose and the hit of hops in the flavour. I think you have a great balance of the two. But more than that, I great choice of hops and malt. Fermentation seems to be well underhand as it is clearly estery but overall clean with a very dry and bitter finish. I want more!

Berp.

3. Frogman - Bad Frog APA

Appearance - Poured with high carbonation, good head, lasted well, great clarity, nice pale amber colour within style.

Aroma - Typical and to style, good malt/hop balance.

Taste - Medium body, ,carbonation high. Good mouthfeel, bitternesss midway for style. A very good beer.

Overall - VERY GOOD. Can this be K & K? Have had a couple of Kit beers as good as this but I must say that is a rare thing.

You guys had better stop this as Mrs frogman reads these reviews and she has asked as to why I need to move to A.G. if I can make beers as good as these just using a tin and not taking a whole afternoon.

NAAAAAAAAAA don't stop I really enjoy proving people wrong ("Nobody can make a good K&K beer") and love the ease of my K&K beers.

Betty_G_Can_Opener.jpg

FROGMANS BREWBOT

#16 Tyred Pale Ale

Appearance - Dark for Pale, but you don't judge a book by it's cover!

Aroma - Spicy initial whiff, pleaseing to the nose. I wish I could name the hops but I'm gun shy after getting the hops wrong on NickBs Very Ordinary Bitter!

Carbonation - excellent! :D

Overall - Another very well balanced beer, and could have easily taken another tallie or two off your hands Peter! Great stuff. :super:

InCider.

1. winkle - Smokey IRA - bottled 19/6/07, drink it now big boy.
2. Screwtop - Klsch - Bottled 30 Jun 2007, drink after 01 Sep 2007
3. SQYRE -Caps Lock Porter
4. Jye - American Rye, Ready to drink but a bit of cold conditioning may help the appearance.
5. Browndog - American Amber Ale Get into it now
6. FNQ Bunyip - A Smoked Porter///Cant remember when I bottled, seems Ok now, might be slightly undercarbed,, try it anyway ..
7. InCider - Captain's Daughter Porter Bottled 220707 serve cold and wet after 010907
8. Bonj - Pilsner
9. bconnery - Dark Mild - Good now but could age another couple of weeks.
10. TidalPete - Scottish 80/-. Drink me now
11. Frogman - K&K APA. Bottled 17/06/07. Ready to drink anytime.
12. Chad - Witbier, Bottle conditioned, drink it now while it's fresh.
13. Mothballs - AAA. Keg conditioned good to drink now.
14. Stillscottish - Belgian Brown (Rochefort 8 attempt) Bottled 17/4/07. Should be ok now but leave a few weeks if you want.
15. Zizzle - Schwarzbier - bottled 24/7/2007
16. Tyred - Pale Ale - Should be fine for immediate consumption.
17. NickB - Very Ordinary Bitter. Ready to drink (yes it's carbed LOW), consume at cellar temps for best result!
18. Fixa - Bourbon Vanilla Porter: Bottled 14/7/07. Leave for a few more weeks yet.
19. Berp - Dry Stout - ready now - filled from a keg

You guys had better stop this as Mrs frogman reads these reviews and she has asked as to why I need to move to A.G. if I can make beers as good as these just using a tin and not taking a whole afternoon.

FROGMANS BREWBOT

I am a proud Kit and Keeler man. :D

InCider & Shedbot.

NAAAAAAAAAA don't stop I really enjoy proving people wrong ("Nobody can make a good K&K beer") and love the ease of my K&K beers.

View attachment 14188

FROGMANS BREWBOT

:lol: my parents had that exact can opener for years...i remember the little magnet that would catch the lid when it finished cutting....

Thats Weird... :ph34r:

Sqyre...

Jye's American Rye

Aroma: Very light cascade aroma, but very muted aroma overall. A touch of alcohol, no esters - very clean.

Appearance: Poured with a minimal head and noticeable viscosity (from the rye). Head dissipated very quikly, as is my (limited) experience with rye beers. Dark amber colour. Cloudy.

Flavour: Light flavour overall, very pleasant. Flavour is slightly dominated by hops, but reasonably good balance between hops and malt. I am getting some rye flavour in there, together with a slight sourness which I tend to associate with rye. Finish is bitter and dry/clean - crisp.

Mouthfeel: medium/full body - can notice extra viscosity in there. Some carbonation bite.

Overall: This is a very pleasant and clean beer. It has a light hop flavour and aoma and a noticeable rye flavour, but it is not offensive or too unusual, as I might expect from using an unusual grain. Actually, this one reminds me a bit of Coopers Sparkling. This is a very easy drinking summer type beer. Well done Jye!

Berp.

for those that haven't already, my beer would be ready for drinking now...

#15 Zizzle's Schwarzbier

Great drop mate. This is just like the one Pat poured for me from his front seat kegbot on his way to the yeast swap at Batz' place.

Good carbonation and I love the malty aftertaste. Yum.

Nice one. I'd jump through a screen door for another :blink:

The lids were on tight - who did that for you? :p

InCiderbot.

I think my American rye has a major clarity issue. A bottle that has been in the fridge for nearly a month was still like mud. The only reason I can think of is that the mash did not convert properly. A bit of a disappointment really since the one I brewed a month earlier was very different.

Buggered if I know how to do this properly but I'll give it a go.

1. Winkle - Smokey IRA. Poured well, Nice carb level, Good head, Balanced smokiness.
Enjoyed it a could have drunk another.

17. NickB - Very Ord Bitter. Really enjoyed this, Poured nice and clear with a good lasting head.

19. Berp. Chilled my bottle and it was all sucked in. Completly flat. Zero head. I tried to drink it but it was not to my taste. I hope it was only my bottle.

FROGMAN

19. Berp - Dry Stout

Appearance - Poured with little carbonation, slight dark head which did not lastl, good colour within style.

Aroma - Typical and to style, good malt/chock aroma.

Taste - Medium/light body, carbonation very low. Good dry mouthfeel, good level of bitterness for style, very low carbonation.

Overall - Good balance but a good beer let down by very low carbonation.

16. Tyred - Pale Ale

Appearance - Poured with little high carbonation, off white head which lasted reasonably well, dark amber too dark for style.

Aroma - Low hop and malt aroma.

Taste - Medium body, carbonation good. Low bitterness for style, med/high carbonation.

Overall - Very low malt and hop profile, carbonation a little high, but a beer that one could enjoy a few of.

11. Frogman - K&K APA

Another vote for this being a great beer. Very well balanced, clean and crisp. Fantastic hop flavour and aroma, nice thick foamy lasting head and well carbonated. A little cloudy in appearance. I could certainly drink a lot of these on a hot summers afternoon. Well done. Please spill the beans on what hops you used?

11. Frogman - K&K APA. Bottled 17/06/07. Ready to drink anytime.

Appearance - Straw in colour and brilliantly clear for a bottle conditioned ale.

Carbonation - Moderately carbonated, just how I like them, with a light fluffy head.

Aroma - This has a lot of aroma, and smells as though it has been dry hopped.

Taste - Yep, that's hops. Is very clean. If there are any faults, I think the hop flavour and aroma is holding them back.

Overall - Damn, is this really a K&K beer? This went down really easily, and would be even better if we had some warmer weather. When I was K&K'ing, I couldn't even get close to making something like this.

Back