Qld Xmas In July 2010 - Consumption & Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First cab off the rank.

14. DKS Budvar

poured darker thtn I was expecting. Was expecting very pale, got coppery
clean, sharp aromatic hop character (saaz and something else)
definitely overcarbed, ended up pouring into a jug over the sink, still only got 450mls.

slight buiscut-yness as it warms.

what bittering hops did you used? Its there but over powered by malt and alcohol, ive just mowed the lawn so that doesnt help. Sure hit the spot though.
head retention was very good and laced the glass all the way down.
i liked it wouldn't mind another to be honest.
Definitely better than most homebrewed budvars/pilsners that ive had.

Thanks Scoundrel
Yeh, deff overcarbed mate silly error, aesily rectified next time.
The bisuitiness? Don't know A bit of vienna in it but all else BB Ale with some M/Otter and some crystal.
Glad the malt came through I was trying to get maltyness in a lager, although next time I'm ditching all crystal.

Saaz all the way for hops mate 60gm@60m, 30g @ 40min. 20g@ 25min. 3.2% AA . IBU34.7, No chilled

Shouldn't be any hot alcs in there as was low side 12* + or -, ferment then cold conditioned

Glad you got some positives out of it though. Next one will be better. Thanks for feed back. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Thanks for the feedback winkle, glad you enjoyed it.

Some further feedback from me:

5. PocketBeers - Vanilla Oatmeal Stout - A little undercarbed for my sample but still drinkable for a Stout. Vanilla flavour was certainly evident and nicely balanced, I've tried adding vanilla essence (made from real beans) and it's hard to hit the perfect match. Underneath the vanilla flavour was still a very nice stout so I quite enjoyed it :) The only suggestion I have is to try adding the vanilla post fermentation to get a bit more aroma / smoother flavour. I'm not sure how much difference it would actually make but I'd be curious to try the results :)

7. Scruffy - With what looked like a 5 as the label, I had assumed this was an "S" :) Wow, what a beer though. Didn't pick it for a 9% beer at all, it was full of flavour and very easy to drink. It's only as you pour the 2nd half of the bottle into the glass that you realise there's some alcohol in there and by then you're taken in by the flavour. Enjoyed this one immensely, not sure a keg of it would be good for my health though :lol:

6. Browndog - Andromeda IPA - The simplicity of the flavour profile was very intriguing, there was both malt and hop flavour strongly evident but unlike most IPA's it wasn't many flavours smashed together. There aren't many other beers like this that I've tried, and I kept thinking as I drank it that a slightly toned down version (ie an APA) would be a great commercial beer in Australia. I'd love to see the recipe for this, both to brew myself then to have a go at an APA variant.

I'm impressed so far with the beers in the swap, QLD might have a decent showing at the AABC this year!

#13 Nicks Old Rifle Range Dark Mild.

Getting all kinds of flavours in this one, there's a hint of smoke on the nose initially, followed by the more robust roast, there's a touch of sweetness on the palate, more a burnt toffee/golden syrup than anything else, kind of like the toffees you used to get at the school fete when you were a kid.

Quite enjoyable Nick, well done.

No. 9 Stillscottish Treacle Juice.

Sweet raison aroma, has a hint of age.

As black as the ace of spades, little head that diminishes quickly although it slicks down the glass wit the beer.

malt is dominated buy plum, raisen characters, little roast is detected. Definate wood aged charecter that blends well with the plum notes.

smooth creamy thick/slick body that is balanced throughout the pallette

Overall i am loving this beer, the bourbon , timber and treacle have added great dimension to this beer. As metioned the you have hit the mark with the wood-aged effect and the treacle is fantastic as the glass warms. If anything you could add more roasted barley to balance out the treacle and a hint of coffee could add to the flavour. But really this beer does not need any changing and is very enjoyable.
Thanks Campbell you have given me more inspiration towards stouts. And as you know I will most always call for more roast :icon_chickcheers:
Edit= does this have rye init?
Cheers Brad

#6 - Browndog's Andromeda IPA

Something familiar about this one, I swear it was one of the entrants in the BABB's annual comp two weekends ago. ;)

Brad got the description of this one down pat.

Good stuff Browndog, very enjoyable.

Somehow I think not Geoff, no style for it you see, other than specialty beer that is.

Glad you enjoyed it.

-BD

Thanks for the feedback winkle, glad you enjoyed it.

Some further feedback from me:

5. PocketBeers - Vanilla Oatmeal Stout - A little undercarbed for my sample but still drinkable for a Stout. Vanilla flavour was certainly evident and nicely balanced, I've tried adding vanilla essence (made from real beans) and it's hard to hit the perfect match. Underneath the vanilla flavour was still a very nice stout so I quite enjoyed it :) The only suggestion I have is to try adding the vanilla post fermentation to get a bit more aroma / smoother flavour. I'm not sure how much difference it would actually make but I'd be curious to try the results :)

7. Scruffy - With what looked like a 5 as the label, I had assumed this was an "S" :) Wow, what a beer though. Didn't pick it for a 9% beer at all, it was full of flavour and very easy to drink. It's only as you pour the 2nd half of the bottle into the glass that you realise there's some alcohol in there and by then you're taken in by the flavour. Enjoyed this one immensely, not sure a keg of it would be good for my health though :lol:

6. Browndog - Andromeda IPA - The simplicity of the flavour profile was very intriguing, there was both malt and hop flavour strongly evident but unlike most IPA's it wasn't many flavours smashed together. There aren't many other beers like this that I've tried, and I kept thinking as I drank it that a slightly toned down version (ie an APA) would be a great commercial beer in Australia. I'd love to see the recipe for this, both to brew myself then to have a go at an APA variant.

I'm impressed so far with the beers in the swap, QLD might have a decent showing at the AABC this year!

Ask and you shall receive.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Andromeda IPA
Brewer: Browndog
Asst Brewer: Jess
Style:
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: Excellent drop, very passionfruity

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 32.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SGrain 76.92 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 7.69 %
20.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.4 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [15.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
0.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.69 %

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 15.66 L of water at 76.0 C 65.0 C

cheers

Browndog

Would have held it's own against some of the IPA's we had.

Tweak the OG down a bit , but sub a touch of biscuit malt and it should squeak into 7.1 APA :) .
I just have to find the scribbled notes from the weekend for this one....

(Edit: subbing and adding are a bit different)

Tweak the OG down a bit , but sub a touch of biscuit malt and it should squeak into 7.1 APA :) .
I just have to find the scribbled notes from the weekend for this one....

(Edit: subbing and adding are a bit different)

I'm of the opinion that galaxy hops has a uniquely different taste to what you would expect to find in an APA or AIPA. That's why I've never entered it in a comp before. Good luck to anyone that gives it a go though.

# 14 DKS - Budvar, after being prewarned about the "heady" nature of this one, I've had it at 8 degrees since receival and it was opened slowly over the sink, without any dramas, until it hit the glass, and then it was off and foaming. A quick slurp and it was under control. Very nice malt in this one, never seen a homebrew pump out this many bubbles either, a constant stream from all over the bottom of the glass keeping the creamy head in place.

No. 9 Stillscottish Treacle Juice.

Sweet raison aroma, has a hint of age.

As black as the ace of spades, little head that diminishes quickly although it slicks down the glass wit the beer.

malt is dominated buy plum, raisen characters, little roast is detected. Definate wood aged charecter that blends well with the plum notes.

smooth creamy thick/slick body that is balanced throughout the pallette

Overall i am loving this beer, the bourbon , timber and treacle have added great dimension to this beer. As metioned the you have hit the mark with the wood-aged effect and the treacle is fantastic as the glass warms. If anything you could add more roasted barley to balance out the treacle and a hint of coffee could add to the flavour. But really this beer does not need any changing and is very enjoyable.
Thanks Campbell you have given me more inspiration towards stouts. And as you know I will most always call for more roast :icon_chickcheers:
Edit= does this have rye init?
Cheers Brad

Thanks for the comments, Brad.

Recipe in post 22 this thread. No Rye but 600g Roast Barley. I overdid the treacle by about 1/2 tin and was hoping it could be left for a few more weeks for it to mellow.
Weekend off coming up. There WILL be sampling.

Cheers

#4. Bradsbrew. - English Bitter, mild caramel notes on the nose, mild caramel malt flavour and a great lingering bitterness. Would have loved a little bit more hop flavour, but that wouldn't be to style.

I enjoyed it Brad, well done.

Cheers,

GT

12. scoundrel_rogue - Belgian dark - ready to go, but i would give it about 2 weeks.

Echoing BribieG's comments. Pours a deep red-ish brown with a very small but lasting head, no lacing. Nose features spices like cinimon sinnamon cinnamon (phew) some pepper and sweet malt with alcohol taking a backseat. Flavour is sweet malt, cinnamon, raisins and a bit of alcohol heat, quite sweet finish. Pretty good, body is a bit heavy and sweet for mine - probably due to the choice of yeast, and it finishes too sweet for the same reason. Suggestions - I'd cut the spicing about 10% and use a good liquid yeast next time to dry it out some more.

cheers guys having dry week so sometime between friday and sunday arvo expect a few reveiews up.

that was unspiced with a smack pack of 3787, i think i left the recipe at your place winkle if not i have one here some where. will put it up in a couple of days. dare i say it this is probably my best beer to date.

cheers scoundrel

cheers guys having dry week so sometime between friday and sunday arvo expect a few reveiews up.

that was unspiced with a smack pack of 3787, i think i left the recipe at your place winkle if not i have one here some where. will put it up in a couple of days. dare i say it this is probably my best beer to date.

cheers scoundrel

Shows you what I know :lol: , we must have had the mash temp a touch too high in that case. My palate must be still effected by this lingering cold :ph34r: . Can't for the life of me remember the recipe details, but its a tasty drop.

Edit: In hindsight feeding the sugar component of the recipe to the fermentor at day three or so would have helped the yeast out a bit. What was the ferment temp?

yeah, the yeast was a abit stressed, mum threw the smack pack in my room with the rest of my mail while i was away for a week, that probably didn't help me any.

from memory there was a kilo of brown sugar that went in the boil, will make a sugar surup next time to feed the fermenter over a few days.

A couple of top beers here, well done lads.

Nick's Dark Mild

Nick.jpg

Brad's English Ordinary Bitter

Brad.jpg

cheers

Browndog

Thanks BD - pretty much echoes my thoughts on this beer. Much better than my last effort at this recipe however. With a couple of small tweaks this will become a house beer I think!

Cheers!

That is a good mild Nick. I'm moving back to my previous recipe which was a bit more biscuity than the one on tap at the swap. I'll bring a few bottles along to the bat-cave if I don't see you before.

3. Ross - Obama IPA

A really good IPA painted black. I fed some of my bottle to an old XXXX drinking mate and got "Sh*t thats good, where do you buy it?". Which is high praise I guess.
A top ale that I hope to see on taps around town sometime soon.

Latest posts

Back