2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
No. 24 Adr0 Wheat Doppelbock.

Finally getting round to some of the stragglers and I'm glad I waited for this one. :beerbang:
attachicon.gif
24 doppelbock.jpg

Good wheaty rocky head, smooth aroma with no off scents. Smelled very familiar, what's going on here?

On the first sip, I knew, just knew, that it was something I've tasted before. It was doing my head in - it was taking me right back to something decades ago. AArrrgghhh :blink:

Then it hit me, I was in a pub in Sunderland drinking Theakston's Old Peculier off the wood.
Somehow, impossibly, Adr0 has just about nailed that classic brew - dark, rich, and very Theakstony ... bugger me dead.

PM recipe??????????

Well done
Thanks for the feedback mate, glad you liked. I've never had the beer on wood, but the heavy chunk of wheat in it (3 types) probably makes it a little dry and toasty.

I can pretty well guarantee that your beer will end up different when you brew it and will likely be more malt-forward as I oxidised the crap out of my beer pre-fermentation. I also added 300g dextrose and 300g light DME which may not be necessary with more patience or on a bigger rig.

Anyway, PM in progress...

Enjoyed Aydos's''s'' sour stout. It was the one that sucked the light in to its singularity, so I figure it wasn't the IPA.
20-aydos-sour-stout.jpg

Excellent presentation, nice lacing - for a 9% beer - and delicious. Good to see a decent amount of roasted malts and body, and nice subtle sourness there if you want to explore it. Nothing overpowering or chokingly sour, just nicely balanced - excellent work

7. Liam_snorkel - Black Brett IPA - aged 1 year - approx 7.1% ABV

Pours a very dark black with a nice head and medium to low carbonation. The head fades pretty quickly which I would say the brett has had enough chance to eat through everything left in this beer including the proteins for the head retention.

The aroma is interesting with the faint citrus and even some plums and slight sherbert with undertones of dark roasty/burnt malts. A hint of alcohol in the aroma and a slight sherry aroma from possible oxidation.

The flavours are very balanced with solid bitterness being supplied from the dark malts and hops. The hops taste more piney rather than citrus from the aroma which would point towards the brett being the dominating factor in the aroma. The bitterness is balanced well with the malt body and doesn't overwhelm the beer.

Solid beer mate, I would enjoy a few of these if there were more going around! Top effort!

1480761690943.jpg

18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all.

Finally workedyself up to this. Sorry no photo.
I'm not gonna lie, I proceeded this beer with 3 coronas with lime. His beer pretty much tastes like 9% corona. So I put a slice of lime in it.
Legitimately there isn't any hot alcohol and it tastes clean with a bit of malt. Nice one.
By the by, I'm drinking this in your neck of the woods up at my folks place near Larnook

Glad to hear it made it this far! Lime it to your heart's content. Most drinkers of Midnight Train end up in derro streets begging, so a slice of lime is probably going to prevent scurvy.

I was sorting out all my cartons of PET bottles yesterday and checking for off-aromas, etc and came across a full one.Bonus.
Chilled overnight.

2. Earle's smoked Farmhouse Rye

This one has travelled beautifully, it's rich, creamy, bready, biscuity ... has lost 99% of the smoke but is a lovely rich balanced beer with a clean aroma and spicy hop flavours. I've never used rye but have had some lovely beers with rye, might take the plunge next time I order spec grains.

Well done, off to drain the second half :beerbang:

earle farmhouse.jpg

Bribie G said:
Glad to hear it made it this far! Lime it to your heart's content. Most drinkers of Midnight Train end up in derro streets begging, so a slice of lime is probably going to prevent scurvy.

I was sorting out all my cartons of PET bottles yesterday and checking for off-aromas, etc and came across a full one.Bonus.
Chilled overnight.

2. Earle's smoked Farmhouse Rye

This one has travelled beautifully, it's rich, creamy, bready, biscuity ... has lost 99% of the smoke but is a lovely rich balanced beer with a clean aroma and spicy hop flavours. I've never used rye but have had some lovely beers with rye, might take the plunge next time I order spec grains.

Well done, off to drain the second half :beerbang:

attachicon.gif
earle farmhouse.jpg
Need to make another batch of this

3. Brewkid - Biere De Garde - Best I could do was reference it based on things like Rochefort or Westie or Abt....didn't have the heaviness of these, but on quality, more than a match. A light richness, the alcohol coming through a touch less than the aforementioned. Ferpect for supping, just a quality bier. Interestingly, as the glass tailed out, 'twere very reminiscvet of a single malt whuskey that a good lad from here threw my way a while back. Very, very shekel worthy.

IMG_0715.JPG

Latest posts

Back