QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9) madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA ABV 8% (black 9; bottled 12.7.17) + Baltic Porter ABV 7.6% ( RED 9; ready 29.7.17)

Black

Big rye taste. Is this of the English genus? Low hop presence on the nose. Nice carbonation and colour.

Really enjoying this MP.

Good hit of alcohol too. Was this Nottingham at 19-20 degC?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1503292736.588538.jpg

Lovely beer mate.

Cheers

9) madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA ABV 8% (black 9; bottled 12.7.17) + Baltic Porter ABV 7.6% ( RED 9; ready 29.7.17)

Black

Big rye taste. Is this of the English genus? Low hop presence on the nose. Nice carbonation and colour.

Really enjoying this MP.

Good hit of alcohol too. Was this Nottingham at 19-20 degC?

Lovely beer mate.

Cheers

Cheers mate, yeast was WLP002 Henglish Hale. @17/18C. And after careful consideration of those more learned than I, regarding the lack of hops which shoulda been showing mightily, am definitely going to water additions in future, plan to do this one again soon with additions to try and compare.

Pics and feedback to follow, just happening to be trying to quaff a little American barleywine here right now.....she's a big bugger. "seeingstars:

23) Zorco - 12 month aged American Barleywine

Big beer mate, needed a coffee chaser, or moghta been the other way round. Like someone else said, sweet and malty. Still suppiong my way through it, knoice drop, eh.

IMG_0923.JPG

3) Seehuusen - West Coast Wit

Nice smashable beer. Had it after a long day and it disappeared too quick. Perfect carbonation, great colour and a very tasty balance of flavours. Well done.

6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale

Had this the other day. Plenty of rye flavour and aroma, citrusy hop character. Malty but well attenuated so it was quite moreish. Drank it very quickly

IMG_7231.JPG

16) Scotty Mack - Belgian Wit

Lovely drop, citrusy zest or zesty citrus, crisp, and Belgiany. really enjoyed this.

IMG_0924.JPG

10) Insensate - Oatmeal Stout

Very easy drinking stout, nowt crazy that stood out, just a well balanced drop. Would have liked a bit more body, maybe just a tad thin but that's all.

IMG_0925.JPG

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux) - bottled 8/6/17, should be hitting its straps after 8/8/17

Mouthful of funky sweet fruit with an effervescent tart zing. Bloody lovely. Morpheus is doing its thing , the beer was practically climbing out of the bottle when I opened it. I've had this at ambient until yesterday so it's definitely hitting it's straps. Really tastes great. Would love to have another with a bit more age on it for increased acidity

IMG_7289.JPG

26) Cummy - Mocha Stout

Lovely drop, although minimal to nowt carbonation. Maybe it's just me, I do like a good dose of CO2 in my beers. Not to detract from this, a good solid coffee/choc hit coming through off a real solid roasty base.

IMG_0932.JPG

3) Seehuusen - West Coast Wit

Delicious. Crisp, clean confounding, coloiurful, corresponging with creative cellaring. Loved it mate.

IMG_0926.JPG

His name is Earle - Kettle soured red ale

She ain't no Flandersd, but she's a ripper. Well balanced, subtle tartieness. Thouroughlky enjoyable.

IMG_0928.JPG

10) Insensate - Oatmeal Stout

Very easy drinking stout, nowt crazy that stood out, just a well balanced drop. Would have liked a bit more body, maybe just a tad thin but that's all.

View attachment 107868

Hey mate, I agree. I would have thought that ha I g 20 percent oats (1.2kg) and mashing at 69 degrees would make it thicker than what it is. Not sure what I have done wrong

Hey mate, I agree. I would have thought that ha I g 20 percent oats (1.2kg) and mashing at 69 degrees would make it thicker than what it is. Not sure what I have done wrong
Which yeast did you use?

Which yeast did you use?

I forgot to add it too my notes. The recipe calls for wyeast1084 Irish ale. I'm pretty sure that they didn't have it and I used what was recommended from brewers choice. I'm thinking maybe the mangrove jacks new world strong ale, maybe...

11) Fitzlp:- Red Rye IPA
Deep red colour, fluffy head that laced all the way down, med-high carbonation. Malty, plenty of rye and cascadey tasting hops going on, balanced & moreish. Good work

IMG_7357.JPG

11) Fitzlp:- Red Rye IPA

Beautiful colour and the spiciness from the rye was nice. I missed this one when I was sorting the order to drink and I think I left it a bit late as the hops were faded.

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017) - READY TO DRINK

Delicious tartness and very refreshing.

20) Parks - Imperial Manuka Smoked Porter (bottled 21/05/2017 READY TO DRINK)

This was probably my favourite beer of the swap so far. Awesome smokey aroma, complex malt profile and a really nice finish. I would love to get the recipe for this.

26) Cummy - mocha stout ( bottled 15/7/17 ) I suggest 6-8 weeks so anytime after 25/8/17.

I really enjoyed this as well. Full of chocolate and coffee. Nice work.

Latest posts

Back