QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 Insensate oatmeal stout.

I'm also having this. If this is your second all grain then well done mate, it's a great beer.

It's got a good body to me, nice and chewy. Great flavour. I wouldn't call it watery, it's just not as roasted as some stouts but that's no issue at all. It's very restrained and approachable.

Only thing that could make it better is to serve on nitro probably.

Well done.

14 - this is a really solid stout. Nice mouthfeel and loving the taste. I can't really taste the blueberries but still love the overall taste. Good work, wouldn't mind the recipe for this!
Next time I will add more berries and maybe even some special B just to try and get a more berry flavour into it. I can PM you the recipenif you like. Do you use beersmith?

Next time I will add more berries and maybe even some special B just to try and get a more berry flavour into it. I can PM you the recipenif you like. Do you use beersmith?

Hey aydos,
Yep I use beersmith, that would be great mate!! Thanks

08 crowmanz tassie wild dark mild

This is a quality dark beer.

Not getting the hikers tho.

21. Adr0 - BB Macadamia Bock

Read the date wrong sorry. There's just a touch of macadamia. Enjoyable beer. Probably a bit thin but I suspect a further month aging will add depth of flavour.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502604089.282300.jpg

26. Cummy - Mocha Stout

Last beer for me. Didn't want to wait another two weeks sorry. Great beer. Nothing complicated about it so it's going down pretty quickly.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502607573.102440.jpg

2. Liam - Chocolate Porter with Carolina reapers

Nice for a sip or two but my lips were on fire after that! Enjoyed by a mate who loves his chilli

View attachment 107494
What he said!

Really enjoying this one as a pre-dinner drink.

Thanks gents! I did overshoot the heat a bit, being a diminutive winter crop I mistakenly thought they'd carry less heat, so used a couple more pods than usual. Glad you enjoyed though. Maybe next winter I'll do a no chilli version :)

26. Cummy - mocha stout. Also had this last night. Had a great chocolate aroma and bitter chocolate flavour. The base stout is a solid beer i couldn't fault. Didnt pick up much coffee. Really enjoyed it

1 winkle Acerola Tarwe

I have no idea what that combination of letters represents, but holy hell this is a tasty beer. Huge cherry hits on the nose and palate, nice sourness.

5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psudo Smash

Right off the bat is a fruity freshness and that saison appeal. The yeast's impact is clear is on the mark for what I like.

Marigold elements there in the colour with a glimpse of red in the right light.

Me thinks there is some alcohol here with a guess it's at 6.7%

Lacing is easy and continuous and carbonation light and effective.

Subjective Negatives (if I tried): Mouth feel is fairly solid compared to saisons I've experienced before.

Lovely beer

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502707189.994126.jpg

Last edited:
1 winkle Acerola Tarwe

I have no idea what that combination of letters represents, but holy hell this is a tasty beer. Huge cherry hits on the nose and palate, nice sourness.

Ta mate, tarwe is just Dutch for wheat (beer), Acerola cherries are these little things.
upload_2017-8-14_20-56-6.jpeg

And Morpheus is the Alvinne house yeast (sour) strain, combined together - this beer was the result.

5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psudo Smash

Me thinks there is some alcohol here with a guess it's at 6.7%

Cheers mate. 7.5% by my measurements (OG with refractometer, FG with hydrometer)

23) Zorco - 12 month aged American Barleywine

Huge malt on the nose and palate, and very sweet. Almost too much.

Not a bad beer, but probably needs a bit of tweaking or aging to settle it down some.

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale

Bright and tasteful. I absolutely appreciate clarity and this beer is stunning to look at.

My first kettle sour so I'm appreciating the ride mate.

Nose has a delicate and withheld smoke, like 0.05% Manuka but I'm guessing - probably badly.

Nice and dry and that tart acidity in the finish. Not picking up hop aroma to call out.

Subject Negatives (if I tried): lacing and head is absent. Carbonation is very low. But I suspect that this within style.

I have homework to do.

Cheers Earle!
View attachment 107671

12) Fattox - cherrywood foreign extra now with more yeast character (Wyeast Thames Valley II)

Huge, smoke, bold. I'm loving this.

Long lingering aftertaste. Lacing up to the rim. No clue what the ABV is.

Second taste is a crystal clear example of the first.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502773377.705305.jpg

Subjective Negatives (if I tried): where is those lovely gas bubbles ??

The theme of this swap without doubt.

Latest posts

Back