QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocke out a few of these with my BIL last night and over the last week. Gotta say they are all great beers again.

4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA
Cracking beer. Really big fresh hop aroma and flavour. I need this recipe yesterday k thx.

6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale
Probably the most well made beers I've drunk since Luggy made that stout. Seriously flawless. Solid rye character, clean malt but showing some complexity, moderate bitterness and light and clean stereotypical "Cascade" aroma and flavour.

Just a bloody cracking beer.

9) madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA ABV 8% (black 9; bottled 12.7.17)
Started with a lovely "pop" when I cracked it open. A little soft on the hop flavour and aroma but still a really enjoyable beer.

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017)
Another classic from Earle. Clean sourness and malt.

16) Scotty Mack
Really nice wit. I got some other citrus notes which I couldn't nail down. Maybe grapefruit or something. Nice.

19) evoo4u - Irish Red Ale (bottled 5/3/2017)
Typical Irish Red Ale. I think there was a touch of astringency there from the roasted grains that I didn't love, but it is the same astringency I got when I made one. Probably just me that is wrong ;)

21) Adr0
______ (labelled BB) Bauple Bock, 7% Macadamia Bock - would suggest 15-Sep (bottled 16-May) but take it as long as you dare for PET carbonation; may be ok going into October.
Cracking beer again. Lovely chewy caramel. I will not wait til October.

22 HBHB mosaic session IPA

Not bad. No BO aroma which you can get from this much mosaic, it's drinking quite fresh. Has a nutty/biscuity hing going on, not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but overall impression is a decen beer if be happy to have a few of, so jobs done.

22 HBHB mosaic session IPA

After a hard day's pruning in the olive grove, this was a ripper! I've never had Mosaic before (to my knowledge), but this was a well balanced IPA, lots of hops without being overdone, and lovely fine head and lacing, with good carbonation. Top drop!

HBHB IPA 2017.jpg

What would people call my saison smash pale ale thing? I'm looking at the BJCP/AABC guidelines and I'm guessing Specialty IPA - Belgian IPA?

What would people call my saison smash pale ale thing? I'm looking at the BJCP/AABC guidelines and I'm guessing Specialty IPA - Belgian IPA?

I would call it the best saison smash pale ale thing that you've ever made.

I already know what feedback you'll get though - needs more choc wheat

Why not?

9 a) MadPierre - Black Rye IPA

Overall I really love this beer. Mainly because it hides 8% so well. Not boozy in the slightest. I can feel it in my head but can't taste it. The hop characters are subtle. More hops would definitely elevate the beer but otherwise drinks great.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1501749117.351979.jpg

12 Fattox Cherrywood smoked foreign extra stout

Harsh boozy aroma on the nose, but it dissipates in the glass.

Once you get past this, it's a damn fine drop. It's got smooth booze, nice level of smoke, a lot of dark winey flavours going on. Quite enjoying it.

Yeah, just not sure where it would fit if I entered it, but specialty Belgian IPA seems to be the only place. Not that I brewed it to be a comp beer, but the feedback has been good from the crew here so I may chance my arm alongside some other entries.

26 Cummy Mocha Stout

I jumped the gun by mistake. But, this is a cracker. It smells like chocolate, and drinks like it smells. It's really good. Carb level is ok, but I'd recommend you wait for another week or two.

My only (very minor) criticism is that it could use a little more body/mouthfeel to carry the dark flavours, but this is still a very good beer.

What'd you add, espresso and chocolate? Or is this just a straight beer?

9 a) MadPierre - Black Rye IPA

Overall I really love this beer. Mainly because it hides 8% so well. Not boozy in the slightest. I can feel it in my head but can't taste it. The hop characters are subtle. More hops would definitely elevate the beer but otherwise drinks great.

Talkin g to Jase about this today, given Parks basically said the same thing. Am wondering if there is summink with th erye or darg grains that minimises 120gm citra/amarillo dry hopped, cos it was still pretty well balanced. Thoem hops are really too welkl hiden, eh.

Cidermans unblended lambic - solid lambic, great brett flavours, really enjoying this, what a treat

1. Winkle - acerola

Enjoying this much more than I did last time. Complexity, tartness and sessionable.

Giddy up

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502011383.083695.jpg

14. Aydos - Blueberry and Pepper

Absolutely ******* awesome. Loved the pepper. Just an incredible beer. What were the pepper and berry additions?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502011507.379798.jpg

Latest posts

Back