QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Know this is gratuitous, but reading reviews of Winkle's Acerola Tarwe reminds me of getting it last year.

What Zorco and MP said - that beer opened my eyes to what a sour and historical beer could be. It was a game changer for me.

IMG_6771.JPG
BenKen's applewood rauchbier

I'm sorry mate but the actual fire I'm sitting next to is dominating the aroma, however: the beer is clean, slightly sweet and basically tastes like bacon. I suspect that you may know of this thing called smoke.

IMG_6774.JPG
26) Cummy - mocha stout ( bottled 15/7/17 )

Smells great, like hazelnut and slightly oxidised coffee grounds (this is not a bad thing). The flavour follows with smooth milk chocolate and the finish is the way it started. This is delicious.

4. Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA

This was pretty juicy and resinous with layer on layer of delicious hops. Just felt a bit sweet, possibly under attenuated. Great beer though.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1501363780.488773.jpg

20. Parks imperial smoked porter. Pours dark with large dense head. I get subtle bacon and coffee on the nose. Smooth and no booze to be found at 7.2% great beer

8) crowmanz - Tassie Wild Dark Mild
Funky aroma like wet socks or something. Finishes with a tang. Little bit of roast. Interesting beer, I think it could benefit from some time on the shelf for the yeast to do its thing

IMG_6785.JPG

15 Bradsbrew barrel aged stout de garde

No carb at all. Was going to hit it with the cap but as I got into it I found it didn't really need it.

Overall impression is very good, it's got a good flavour from the barrel. Possibly dominates the beer itself, but that will settle down as the barrel gets a few brews through it.

Sometimes you've got to have the right food with a swap beer. 6hr smoked ribs with Ben's Applewood Rauchbier. Great beer, good amount of smoke with a good finish.

full

full

On the carbonation, I transfer from a keg for the swap. I intentionally over carb the kegs a few psi to allow for losing some bubbles in the process. Did my swap beer at 15psi prior to and during bottling (would normally aim for 10-12psi for serving off my keezer).

I did this for the previous swap last December and had no issues with a porter. This seems to be more hit and miss for some reason.

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux)
Had last night, not a huge fan of cherry so took a while to finish off.
IMG_20170729_193101.jpg

20) Parks - Imperial Manuka Smoked Porter
Nice porter that hides the alcohol well, the smoke was pretty spot on and didn't over power the rest of the beer that some smoke can do.
IMG_20170730_185139.jpg

22. HBHB. AIPA with Warrior for bittering and Mosaic late and dry.

Manly delicateness encapsulated, lovely hoppy beer. Gald I had it fresh. Really wanting another bottle now this 'uns finished.

IMG_0898.JPG

I am guessing this is No. 10. Silky smooth with light carbonation. Nice easy drinking stout. Would happily drink a few of these

Attachments

• 1501487797898.jpg
    1501487797898.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 85
21 Adro hazy contradictory IPA

Not bad. Good malty back bone, some estery bubble gum flavours, but more of the Janet Planet from Confidence Man style BUBBLE GUM, I.e strong but not overpowering, really working for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 93
21 Adro hazy contradictory IPA

Not bad. Good malty back bone, some estery bubble gum flavours, but more of the Janet Planet from Confidence Man style BUBBLE GUM, I.e strong but not overpowering, really working for me.
I wish all my beers had Janet Planet bubblegum... *sigh*

Back