Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6. Midnight Brew, IPA
An IPA, approaching mid-August, why am I the first to try this? And with that in mind after a day of yard work it would surely be the perfect companion.
It poured into the glass well and had a copper colour foremost with very good clarity. Appropriate carbonation, moderate head building up and overall looking the part. Aromatically I'm not getting too much, usual US notes that expresses moderation. In the mouth it has a character that I associate with your other brews Midnight - hard to put my finger on it but could be described as 'watery'. Thin body, coming across as very dry and for an IPA I'm really not tasting the alcohol (and after having the bottle I can assure you there is plenty in there). It's remarkable really, I wouldn't describe this as a typical IPA because it doesn't taste strong, is light-on in the hops for my tastes, yet clearly contains ample grog-factor which would make one think twice before grabbing the keys. This might have been better drunk earlier because for an IPA it's not really bitter or hoppy enough, but could absolutely pass as a pale ale or as an entry level IPA for the masses. There's sufficient malt to give the brew a bit of flavour interest. As far as faults are concerned it's a very clean brew, just needs moar hops.

I thought wheat had some thing to do with it I just couldn't remember what... The head certainly hung around. But anyway had other bulk primed beers but this was just done well

The #14 American rye is a good one. My thorough review is that it looks like beer and tastes like beer. After so many different beers it's nice to come back to something a bit more familiar.

6. Midnight Brew, IPA
An IPA, approaching mid-August, why am I the first to try this? And with that in mind after a day of yard work it would surely be the perfect companion.
It poured into the glass well and had a copper colour foremost with very good clarity. Appropriate carbonation, moderate head building up and overall looking the part. Aromatically I'm not getting too much, usual US notes that expresses moderation. In the mouth it has a character that I associate with your other brews Midnight - hard to put my finger on it but could be described as 'watery'. Thin body, coming across as very dry and for an IPA I'm really not tasting the alcohol (and after having the bottle I can assure you there is plenty in there). It's remarkable really, I wouldn't describe this as a typical IPA because it doesn't taste strong, is light-on in the hops for my tastes, yet clearly contains ample grog-factor which would make one think twice before grabbing the keys. This might have been better drunk earlier because for an IPA it's not really bitter or hoppy enough, but could absolutely pass as a pale ale or as an entry level IPA for the masses. There's sufficient malt to give the brew a bit of flavour interest. As far as faults are concerned it's a very clean brew, just needs moar hops.

Thanks for the feedback Wiggman, much appreciated! The IPA was a blend of two IPAs, the first was a malty aggressively Munich heavy IPA. The second was a session IPA (3-4% abv) with homegrown chinook all in at whirlpool. The bitterness was around half of what was estimated but blending in to other, eased the assault of Munich. In terms of mash temp, Munich IPA had quiet a 'digestible' mash regime whereas the harvest IPA had a full body mash. I don't think I dry hopped this batch at all hoping for the homegrown to showcase itself more prominently. Im not sure on any other factors that explain the watery character so I'll have a look at the notes tonight. Perhaps I should of labeled as a pale ale after sampling a bottle myself haha.

10. Shorty Bronx - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Appearance: Bright, clear, clean and a dense foamy head.
Aroma: To me its similar to noble hops late, maybe even hallertau or a bit Ahtanum-ish. Low aroma on the hop front.
Flavour: Soft bitterness (quiet pleasant really), low malt character and neutral. I think I taste kit yeast? Very kit like with no hop flavour/stripped hop flavour. Okay by now I'm certain this isn't a SNPA and possible someone else's beer? Looked at the bottle and theres no number on the cap but a blue sticker on the side labeled '10'.
Overall: If this is a kit beer, Id say its a good result but something to work on flavour wise would be either more prominent with flavour and dry hopping (if SNPA was the aim), and pitch adequate yeast. Id argue the yeast factor is far more important to get right, as I don't necessarily think the yeast was stressed but it seems to have muted the other flavours of the beer. The head held its way all the way down the glass so kudos to that!

So question, was this your beer? Has anyone else tried it? Was it suppose to be SNPA?
IMG_2067.JPG

haha yer that was my beer....... Im not even sure what SNPA tastes like but thats what the home brew shop guy said what I have should taste like. Its not a kit yeast. Once again complete recommendation of the home brew shop guy. Sorry I dont really brew beer and to this day is my only beer I have made besides one that is so strong its almost wine.

I like drinking beer, but making it is something I am not sure I will ever get the hang of.

haha yer that was my beer....... Im not even sure what SNPA tastes like but thats what the home brew shop guy said what I have should taste like. Its not a kit yeast. Once again complete recommendation of the home brew shop guy. Sorry I dont really brew beer and to this day is my only beer I have made besides one that is so strong its almost wine.

I like drinking beer, but making it is something I am not sure I will ever get the hang of.

Well done mate! Pretty good job for a first beer. Crystal clear and a dense head that held its way down the glass. These are things at first that are hard to get right. With a few little tweaks you're on the slippery slope. I hope you're participating in the next swap, looking forward to trying batch number 2/3. Great effort for a first beer!

Round 2 with #9. The flavour that shall not be named is subdued and bugger me if the hops still aren't here in spades. Looking after the kids at present, if I'd downed a few of these there would be cause for a charge of irresponsible parenting. There's a lot going on in this glass.

5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of two RIS's and a Sour Cherry Stout

Opened this one with full intention to start my weekend at 10:15 pm after work and then settle into a few amber ales. Must of thought number 5 was something else but it appears Ive open up a bloody devil RIS.

Appearance: Jet black liquid syrup. oh boy.
Aroma: Sour notes with dark fruit and an almost pudding like character. Can't get enough of it.
Flavour: To quote my grandpa when he tastes a good drop of red and can't(won't) put down the bottle: "Oooooooooooooaaaahh". Smooth, refreshing in a sour/acidity/hits the spot kind of way. Very refreshing. Thirst quenching. Very smooth roast background character, almost hard to detect for me, followed by fruity/tart notes and then the warming alcohol character. I really don't think words do this beer justice. I really hope I picked a second bottle of this up. I've still got two aged RIS's you gave me 2 years back and as much as I really want to compare the three, I can't handle that many devils. Just ask anyone who spoke to me or watched me walk after Southern Courage on handpump at Foragers hard launch.

Overall: Im only a few beers into this swap but this is going to be hard to take the top spot for me. Outstanding effort Jonny, I love the mouthfeel and finish of the beers you brew. Gonna go out on a big statement here but here goes. This is the second beer I've had from a case swap that I cannot fault (2 fuzzy nuts). Blow me BJCP! Oh ****... the devil is back

EDIT: Enjoyed while watching Thunderball (James Bond)

4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale

Appearance: Dark golden in colour, clear and rocking a white medium head.
Aroma: Minimal grapefruit with a note of something tart. When I opened it, was very similar to ahtanum.
Flavour: Bitter up front and actually quiet astringent, very carbonated. Very little malt and hop character. Stream of bubbles forming in the centre to keep the head. Finishes dry. Now that it has warmed up a bit, the carbonation has chimed down and the astringent character has become less perceivable.

Overall: I’ve probably had this one too late, I don’t get a lot from the aroma and the flavour is quiet zesty astringent. As it warmed up more I actually liked it (because I’m a carbonation wuss) and had second thoughts on being so harsh earlier. More flavour in the second glass around. I think deep down the banana wine blew this one out of the water but in saying that, I’ve finished the whole bottle.

Thanks for sharing AJ, interesting beer as always and I love how you can push the boundaries and pull it off.

5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of two RIS's and a Sour Cherry Stout

Opened this one with full intention to start my weekend at 10:15 pm after work and then settle into a few amber ales. Must of thought number 5 was something else but it appears Ive open up a bloody devil RIS.

Appearance: Jet black liquid syrup. oh boy.
Aroma: Sour notes with dark fruit and an almost pudding like character. Can't get enough of it.
Flavour: To quote my grandpa when he tastes a good drop of red and can't(won't) put down the bottle: "Oooooooooooooaaaahh". Smooth, refreshing in a sour/acidity/hits the spot kind of way. Very refreshing. Thirst quenching. Very smooth roast background character, almost hard to detect for me, followed by fruity/tart notes and then the warming alcohol character. I really don't think words do this beer justice. I really hope I picked a second bottle of this up. I've still got two aged RIS's you gave me 2 years back and as much as I really want to compare the three, I can't handle that many devils. Just ask anyone who spoke to me or watched me walk after Southern Courage on handpump at Foragers hard launch.

Overall: Im only a few beers into this swap but this is going to be hard to take the top spot for me. Outstanding effort Jonny, I love the mouthfeel and finish of the beers you brew. Gonna go out on a big statement here but here goes. This is the second beer I've had from a case swap that I cannot fault (2 fuzzy nuts). Blow me BJCP! Oh ****... the devil is back

EDIT: Enjoyed while watching Thunderball (James Bond)
And this is why EVERY attendee should swap, kickin' myself silly for not having my shit together for this one!!

BTW Droid was kind enough to give me a bottle of this, I believe I may have reviewed earlier in the thread, however it follow a sampling of our westy 12 swap beer..... don't ever do that!

And this is why EVERY attendee should swap, kickin' myself silly for not having my shit together for this one!!

BTW Droid was kind enough to give me a bottle of this, I believe I may have reviewed earlier in the thread, however it follow a sampling of our westy 12 swap beer..... don't ever do that!
If I find said second bottle, I'll put it away for the XMAS swap and we'll sample it out.

If I find said second bottle, I'll put it away for the XMAS swap and we'll sample it out.

I'll have some of my blend there, as well as a 4 way blend (of the same but including the Winter Case Swap mofox brew) which is on Belgian yeast now, if it works out alright that will be my swap beer too, a 4 way blend

Cam if you have another bottle it might have III on the lid for three way blend, the ones I gave out were not numbered like the swap beer, ie 5. I have one you can grab if you go to the Vic Grain Bulk buy

cheers
Jonny

I'll have some of my blend there, as well as a 4 way blend (of the same but including the Winter Case Swap mofox brew) which is on Belgian yeast now, if it works out alright that will be my swap beer too, a 4 way blend

Cam if you have another bottle it might have III on the lid for three way blend, the ones I gave out were not numbered like the swap beer, ie 5. I have one you can grab if you go to the Vic Grain Bulk buy

cheers
Jonny

Jonny, I think it has a 5 on the cap, again need to check if I have it. Also have 2 bottles of your RIS which may have ended up being part of this swap blend, but the original, unblended version. Also have Grant's RIS from the 2015 kinglake swap.

Also have Grant's RIS from the 2015 kinglake swap.

Funnily enough, I have the same one squirrelled away as well!

Cheers for the review of the grapefruit pale ale too. Had your IPA the other night. Rich, malty and, to agree with wiggman, not a heap of hop action. Very clean ferment and I enjoyed it to the bottom of the glass. Great colour too! I Read that it had homegrown flowers late. I'm a huge fan of homegrown flowers, but I've found they seem to fade pretty quickly in my experience with them. Was a delicious beer regardless!!

Thanks for the review mate. I love the homegrown hops too but they fade super quick, and I think bitterness was around half of what I expected, plenty more to get through before they take off again in the next 6 weeks. Double flower power next time.

I'm going to break the rules here and review the beer I just cracked so it's not biased.
14. ?????????
Low carb, quite clear with a light 'pale ale' visual appeal about it. Clean on the nose with a vague sweetness, maybe a whisp of Redskin. Interesting. Taste-wise: I had prior thoughts I had opened another Grumpy's Rye but clearly not the case. I had flashbacks to comments about cherries somewhere in this thread as soon as I thought about it. It has the signs of a lambic without being sour or at the very least overtly so. Some bitterness, some hints of a hops, some malt and nothing off-putting. Not enough oats though of course. A very clean beer that is a good alternative to something hop forward or a lager, and based on the (I'm guessing) cherry factor would blow Shortybronx's mind.
Ed: apparently WAS Grumpy's rye. Either my tastebuds are shot or there's been a labelling error. I'm standing by it though, doesn't taste like the other one.

Just realised I don't have #1 or #2, does everyone else?

Latest posts

Back