2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout

Black with clear red highlights, tan pillowy head that just won't quit. Seriously. Smells of roast, chocolate. Smooth, med-full mouth feel. Finishing impression is malt with a tiny bit of bitter cocoa or something on the tongue.
I would like to know your head retention secret
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484124815.251978.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484125087.368474.jpg

8. Davy rye pale.
Pours a good head. Carbonation is good along with the mouthfeel. Big malty aroma with spice from the rye. All this ends up being the same with the flavor. Good balance but needs more hops. Great beer and very sessionable but needs more hops.

Liam_snorkel said:
7. Luggy - Oatmeal Stout

Black with clear red highlights, tan pillowy head that just won't quit. Seriously. Smells of roast, chocolate. Smooth, med-full mouth feel. Finishing impression is malt with a tiny bit of bitter cocoa or something on the tongue.
I would like to know your head retention secret
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484124815.251978.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484125087.368474.jpg
Where are/were you in that fine tasting photo Liam?

Glasshouse?

Beersuit said:
8. Davy rye pale.
Pours a good head. Carbonation is good along with the mouthfeel. Big malty aroma with spice from the rye. All this ends up being the same with the flavor. Good balance but needs more hops. Great beer and very sessionable but needs more hops.
Post 142, Beersuit

This is a good review, with some positive feedback that can be used to improve the brew. However, the review is clearly lacking in any musical reference, specifically Courtney Barnett.

pcqypcqy said:
Post 142, Beersuit

This is a good review, with some positive feedback that can be used to improve the brew. However, the review is clearly lacking in any musical reference, specifically Courtney Barnett.
Would you like me to give him a warning or just outright ban?

I just wanted to quickly thank the fine man, Madpierre, for hosting me for a top notch brew day at his place Tuesday. I'm out of beer at present and he's designed a beautiful pale ale which hits my fermenter tonight. Best of all, he has shared a couple of his extra QLD swap beers - which I'm truly grateful for.

I'll chill them and do my best to review them to the best of my tasting skills.

There are few communities better than those of brewers. Well, in my life that's for sure :)

Cheers Alan.

14. Ciderman - Mulberry Sour

Delicious. Getting lots of Mulberry in the taste mixed with a nice lactic bite. Smashing beer for a 29c night.

I had some issues with my previous account, and my email connected to the account, so I'm under this name now.

I had some issues with my previous account, and my email connected to the account, so I'm under this name now.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484432802.430192.jpg

6. Earle Chocolate Wheat IPA

Big lick of chocolate upfront. Underlying bitterness but without any hop aroma. Heaps of roast and deliciously sessionable. Didn't taste too alcoholic but after consumption I felt it was higher than I thought. Cracking beer as always Earle.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484433138.711540.jpg

2. Aydos - Galaxy Pale Ale

This was enjoyed on a very warm afternoon. Overall I liked the beer, just not sure if I'm a big fan of galaxy. Aromas of passionfruit. Strong bitterness. Maybe it's just the hop variety but just seemed to be missing the resinous character I like in my APA. Could have just been really well attenuated. This had fantastic lacing too, right till the last sip.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484433825.473576.jpg

10. Benken - Mulberry Chilli Saison

I picked up my swap beers on Friday from Madpierre and he had this one cold and ready to go! Colour is orange/red. Chilli is ever so subtle and I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't mentioned. It's typically super dry and well attenuated as you would expect from a saison. I liked this a lot but the dryness of the beer really halted any fruit sweetness from the mulberries. I think you'd rather it too dry than too sweet though. Good beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1484457894.983749.jpg

21. Peege - Red IPA

It has everything that you would want in the style. Plenty on juicy resinous hops. Rich crystal malts. The balance is well played and the flavour lingers well after the beer is gone.

1. evoo4u - Julebryg

This was very tasty. You can't have a heap of it in one sitting, it's totally wrong season for it, but the wife and I split the bottle on a warm afternoon and it really hit the spot. Nice and sweet, good hints of christmas spices, nice mouthfeel and carb level. Something I'll consider copying come autumn.

What was the ABV on this one Roger?

Latest posts

Back