Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know he had a beer there, he still needed to label, but then people started arriving,brewing kicking off, beers were flowing ...etc

6. Midnight brew - Son of Zeus IPA blended with Harvest IPA

Lowish Head, lowish carbonation. Nicely cleared with a Tan color. Aroma - Yum, very IPAish as in well hopped. Flavor yum very smooth, malty with body and hoppy too. This is an easier drinking IPA IMO not that I find IPA at all hard to drink but this is smooth and easy. Is this an English yeast? Its full body? Seems to me. I'm lacking definitive connoisseur descriptive abilities but this has professional/commercial level character. Smooth mouth feel. Even after a few sips you can still get a good whiff of hops on every sip.
Thanks for that! :foammug:

Thanks Dan!

The harvest IPA was full body mash and the SoZ was Munich heavy so really a combination of both at play. I think English strains play better with more malt at play and you're on the money about it being an English yeast. Used 1768 ESB, even threw it at the case swap brew and have those bottles tucked into a warm corner of my bedroom.

3. jb smoke on the porter, I mean DJ_L3THAL - English Brown - ready from September.

Been releasing the carbonation for weeks but still holds plenty.

Appearance: Love that colour! Ruby red and crystal clear.
Aroma: Hints of a deep toffee/caramel note, English esters, I'm thinking Ringwood?
Flavour: Carbonation is still taking centre stage after me beating the shite out of it with a spoon, which sparkles the tongue and gives a full mouthfeel effect. Getting a rich caramel flavour but not much else due to carbonation.
Overall: has the makings of a great beer, unfortunately the carbonation takes too much away, this would of been beautiful out of a hand pump. Awesome job on colour! Love to know your recipe to get that mystical colour.

3. jb smoke on the porter, I mean DJ_L3THAL - English Brown - ready from September.

Been releasing the carbonation for weeks but still holds plenty.

Appearance: Love that colour! Ruby red and crystal clear.
Aroma: Hints of a deep toffee/caramel note, English esters, I'm thinking Ringwood?
Flavour: Carbonation is still taking centre stage after me beating the shite out of it with a spoon, which sparkles the tongue and gives a full mouthfeel effect. Getting a rich caramel flavour but not much else due to carbonation.
Overall: has the makings of a great beer, unfortunately the carbonation takes too much away, this would of been beautiful out of a hand pump. Awesome job on colour! Love to know your recipe to get that mystical colour.

Cheers Cam and apologies for the over-carb :) Sadly the second cube of this batch I have recently started to ferment on WLP004 Irish Ale and that too stopped early at 1.017. However I've purged the conical cone with CO2 to re-mix the yeast and upped the temp, thankfully this morning after 24 hours there is some slight activity so hopefully it will finish the job for me and I can enjoy this beer as intended! I did employ the same with the WLP002 for this swap batch but it didn't want to budge from 1.020.

Recipe I posted back here: https://aussiehomebrewer.com/thread...y-case-swap-tasting.95650/page-6#post-1468056

No #1 or #2 for me either

13. TheWiggman - Haters' Wheat©

Appearance: Clear straw with a very appealing golden hue, mousey cream thick dense head.
Aroma: Has to be one the most favourable wheat beer aromas Ive come across! Sweet, bread and interesting.
Flavour: Oooooh she's good! Clean, bready, very well balanced between the flavours. This glass is disappearing really fast. Carbonation is 'midnight brew' friendly and flavour is where I want a wheat beer to be. Lovely bread character that develops and works in with the back bitterness.
Overall: Fantastic wheat beer that I believe could sway most drinkers. I've screen shot your recipe and process for keeps sake to encourage me to brew a weizen again.

I had a really bad experience on a Christmas Day a few years ago which combined my house wheat, over indulgence and food poisoning together. Spent all 8 days of my xmas time off in bed with delusional pyschodelic nightmares. However you've spurred me on to try another weizen with a more local approach. Fantastic beer mate and thanks for sharing.

I wouldn't wish those on anyone haha was a terrible 8 days that I'll never forget. Cannot express how full on it was! All kinds of fucked up. Tell you all about it at the Xmas Swap

13. TheWiggman - Haters' Wheat[emoji767]

Overall: Fantastic wheat beer that I believe could sway most drinkers. I've screen shot your recipe and process for keeps sake to encourage me to brew a weizen again.
However you've spurred me on to try another weizen with a more local approach. Fantastic beer mate and thanks for sharing.

Wow. Makes me wonder how much better it would've been with oats instead of wheat... [emoji185]

[emoji1]

@wiggdude, which post did you put up the recipe?

Lol. Nah. Not that lazy, just hoping you might think buggrit and repost it. So then I wouldn't have to trawl through it on the phone. [emoji6]
But I'll be on the laptop shortly so I can search then.

Hehe, considered being nice and scrolling through but out of principle spent that time replying instead. Also considered using the search function but since the update might as well use a random number generator.
Ed: was nice and scrolled through the thread but can't find the recipe, damn misleading. I'll look tomorrow night

Last edited:
Well yes I'm an idiot. In honour of Cocko, I've decided to review my own beer.
Aroma: Great.
Appearance: Great.
Taste: Great.
Mouthfeel: Great.
Overall impressions: Great beer.

IMG_20170902_155734.jpg

Back