Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo's stout had it's way and I had a much needed afternoon nap to succumb to all the excitement.

Today: 3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%.
Overall:
Full credit to this one Stu, I want the recipe and I want it now. Oddly, I could guzzle this down on days starting with T and S. I know about 21 blokes (including myself) who would collectively polish of a 50L keg of this in an afternoon. I reckon my old man would ask me to permanently have this on tap. In fact, with all the second bottles I was generously donated for hosting, we're gonna need to do a 059-off. Lovely beer mate, **** the BJCP!
Thanks again for the kind words, Cam.
Here's the recipe, as per the post in WAYB2017:

Rezza Nekta
Aussie Bitter, brewed yesterday, to be fermented with WLP-059 (**finished with ~75% attenuation)

Vol=21.5L
OG=1.042
FG=1.010
IBU=30
EBC=16
alc%=4.9

44.3% Perle malt
40% Pilsner malt
1% Choc malt
11.4% White sugar
1% Dark Brown sugar
EDIT: 2.3% Acidulated

15g Pride of Ringwood + 5g EKG @FWH
5g Pride of Ringwood + 10g EKG @20mins (into cube)

68/72/78 for 90/25/10
17L mash, 17L sparge

Salts to hit ~60ppm Ca, 6ppm Mg, ~1:1 sulfate: chloride.
-----------------------------------

Hit all the numbers, so that's a good start.
Very keen to see what 059 does to this, and how the sugars come out.
The thinking with the sugars was to use raw sugar for the bulk, then add a little Dark Brown to possibly mimic less refined sugar that might've been the norm a century ago (?), but also to simply see what a touch of dark brown sugar does to the flavour profile. I know 35g is bugger all, but from reading i've done, apparently the dark sugars can be quite strong in their flavour input & less is best. As it turned out, i had no raw sugar at hand, so had to use the white sugar, so hopefully the dark brown will offset the difference (if any!) between raw & white sugar.
----------------------------------
Was renamed Rezza Bitter for the swap :D

Last edited:
2. Mardoo's stout.
Low on carb high in flava. The boss described it as coffee and chocolate. For me nailed it and prolly a little too yummy as I went for a nanna nap not to long after. What a beaut beer I have a second of this and I'll be saving it for a night in front of the fire.

6. Micbrew Citra smash 5% drink before Chrissy
So that's what Citra tastes like! Honestly, I need to do some more SMASH beers, and since this one was so SMASHable (do you see what 12,000 homebrewers just did there?) I just may do some. It's been ages.

This was totally enjoyable. Nice, simple, straightforward BEER. I came, I drank, I conquered. Loved it, would drink multiple pints. Subdued maltiness, nice sweetness on the old night crawler, great hop aroma and flavour. Mick came, he beered, he conquered. Thanks mate. A solid, quality drinkin' beer.

Shit that said drink before christmas?
I thought it was drink after! In the fridge it goes...

6. Micbrew Citra smash 5% drink before Chrissy
So that's what Citra tastes like! Honestly, I need to do some more SMASH beers, and since this one was so SMASHable (do you see what 12,000 homebrewers just did there?) I just may do some. It's been ages.

This was totally enjoyable. Nice, simple, straightforward BEER. I came, I drank, I conquered. Loved it, would drink multiple pints. Subdued maltiness, nice sweetness on the old night crawler, great hop aroma and flavour. Mick came, he beered, he conquered. Thanks mate. A solid, quality drinkin' beer.
oh damn, like; while the boss is away... Why the hell not!!

I blame you Mardoo Double blind and all ( two more beers I'll be blind... blind drunk:rolleyes:)

Carb was low on mine (but I like it that way), will review after xmas. Still amazed that it was just BB Ale and Citra. I downed about 5 schooners of these before getting onto the RIS later in the arvo.

Carb was low on mine (but I like it that way), will review after xmas. Still amazed that it was just BB Ale and Citra. I downed about 5 schooners of these before getting onto the RIS later in the arvo.
Come on ... the RIS was a forgone conclusion to an awesome weekend. It would help if there was video to help recall the events... or perhaps not. There was some enthusiastic singing of 80's songs if I recall, not sure if Culture Club made the cut.:question::fallingoffchair:
What the hell there's alway next swap! I'm sure if @Cocko had his say a culture club type theme would be be the go for the weekend! Sure Ive got some leather chaps somewhere! (you know I'd be awesome brewing in that shit).

17. droid - Belgian Wit @ 4.46% : ready, drink as your first beer for the day on a hot day

Appearance:
Straw, moussey head, kinda snow like. Head for days.

Aroma: Mmmmmmmm summer. Wheaty, bread like and fresh spicy esters.

Flavour:
Solid wheat profile, body is matched with carb, yeast is quiet tame and very easy to drink. Not sure if its the bitterness or carbonation that is doing the refreshing work with this but damn its going down so easy. Wheat beers are not something I drink a lot of nor brew, so its a nice little reminder of how good they really are.

What yeast (and ferment temp) did you use on this one? I can't seem to pick it, seems subtle but well balanced. Great beer mate, thanks for sharing. Even Evie was seeing what the fuss was all about.

IMG_4979.JPG

17. droid - Belgian Wit @ 4.46% : ready, drink as your first beer for the day on a hot day

Appearance:
Straw, moussey head, kinda snow like. Head for days.

Aroma: Mmmmmmmm summer. Wheaty, bread like and fresh spicy esters.

Flavour:
Solid wheat profile, body is matched with carb, yeast is quiet tame and very easy to drink. Not sure if its the bitterness or carbonation that is doing the refreshing work with this but damn its going down so easy. Wheat beers are not something I drink a lot of nor brew, so its a nice little reminder of how good they really are.

What yeast (and ferment temp) did you use on this one? I can't seem to pick it, seems subtle but well balanced. Great beer mate, thanks for sharing. Even Evie was seeing what the fuss was all about.

View attachment 110487

I had this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it too. Ripping beer and also keen to see the recipe.

Malt Junkie - raspberry sour

Really enjoying this one. Has a lactic tartness reminiscent of a kettle sour and I love the fact that you've snagged a very tasty infection. The raspberry adds a brightness to the beer and it is perfect after a long day of kid wrangling.

Thanks guys, I'm not a big wheat fan/guy but needed beer fast so went with this beer - it was my first pressure ferment...

Title: half-wit

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Witbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 85 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 100 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 82% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 4.67%
IBU (tinseth): 17.3
SRM (morey): 2.77

FERMENTABLES:
1 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (6.7%)
7 kg - German - Pale Wheat (46.7%)
7 kg - German - Pilsner (46.7%)

HOPS:
35 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.6, Use: First Wort, IBU: 17.3

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 64 C, Time: 120 min, Amount: 48 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
30 g - Coriander, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
80 g - Orange Zest, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WLP400
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76%
Flocculation: Low-Med
Optimum Temp: 19.44 - 23.33 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

NOTES:
always get better eff with an overnight cold soak. Did add some Cinamon in with the Coriander, probably 10-12g's. Added Zest and SPice after shutting boil off and did a WP leaving it sit for an hour or so.

Gents, I have a request to make & it's not for me.....

Andy Graham is one of the forefathers of homebrewing in Australia & one of the people who set-up the AABA. I first knew him about 23+ years ago, learned a SHITLOAD & recently bumped-into him again. 'Last time I heard, he was pro-brewing in China. That was a LOOONG time ago.

He was homebrewing back in the '70's when the ingredients & equipment situations were dire. He's still brewing & making his own gear (an engineer) all this time later. You should see his home-made cylindro-conical & home-made hydraulic press he built for compressing his own home-grown hops! It's a real work of art. But I digress....

He asked if I could get hold of some WLP059, but it's a seasonal thing/from the WLP vault & CB couldn't order any.

I'm guessing that one or two of you have got frozen vials of the stuff & I'd like to gift him some for Christmas. He's geared-up for propagating/saving yeast, so it'll be well looked-after & saved.

Can anyone help me out?

I have a vial you can have. It’ll be at date though. I haven’t gotten around to propagating it. I could also propagate and give you some.

20. Malt Junkie- Raspberry sour 5.5% Ready now, or wait

Appearance
Pretty and pink, nice tiny head, clear and that damn colour!

Aroma:
Oh wow, does not really smell like my kinda thing up front but then after a few sniffs I get the tartness of berries. Comes through really well, more than I had expected.

Flavour
Fantastic. Not what I was expecting at all. Sweet and spritzy up front, followed by an evolving berry taste that matches the aroma, then this nice little tart finish. Really enjoying this Mike!

I’ve really enjoyed this one, in the past when buying berry sours/beers at bars, they all leave me with regret and a screwed up face. But this is really nice and tame for me. Glad I snagged a few extras of these for a hot day.

Love to see the recipe and how you got the berry flavour all the way through from nose to finish. (Didn’t boil the raspberries did you?)

MB, complete accident, brewed a standard wheat with one of the white labs hef strains (I'd have to check). Fermentation had finished was tasting nice fromvthe ferm. But decided it was a lil boring. I went and got c 1.5kg of raspberrys frozen, let them thaw over night on the bench, and chucked em in around lunch time(they were still quite cold). I ran ferment around 21c but should prolly be different with pressure.

Latest posts

Back