Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks gents, I agree on the carb level of mine. I must graduate from the table sugar spoon method of bottle carbonation and just bulk prime. I have resisted because I ferment in a SS Chronical and push out with CO2 to minimise O2 intake, but then to put it into a plastic bottling bucket and result in some O2 uptake seems a backwards step.... however am I correct in thinking that the small amount of O2 when bottling is beneficial because the yeast needs it to bottle carb perhaps? Seems like good enough logic to start bulk priming?

Why don’t you force sugar solution into your fermenter through the outlet using a PET bottle and carb cap? If you needed to ensure mixing you could bubble CO2 through the outlet afterwards.

I have briefly thought of doing that, it’s an awesome idea now that I think a bit more. The SS cone is good at keeping a film of yeast on it so disturbance of that could increase cloudiness, but I suppose I always let my bottles sit in fridge for a week or two before serving anyway so all shod settle out.
Some experimentation with fittings etc is needed. Reckon I could purge the sugar solution in through the top, switch that back to a sanitary air filter and then bubble the CO2 up through the bottom to get the mixing action. Some carbonation uptake will be inevitable but nothing some tweaking batch to batch shouldn’t resolve [emoji106]

After a week chilling I grabbed No.17 because the bottle is as hard as a rock! Poured into a chilled pint glass to get 2/3rd white fluffy head. By the time it took me to then replace flat battery in the camera the head settled some. Mmm smells fruity, tastes Belgianish. Um it actually has a slight flavour not to preferable (like a fume flavour) mostly detectable on the first sip after you swallow. I dont know the descriptive name for it I have had it occasionally in my own beers, or a Cider once that I brewed with M27. The flavour eventually went away completely so maybe this should have been left a bit longer maybe at ambient temps. or maybe I was unlucky and got an affected bottle.
So more prepared with the camera this is how it poured and a few minutes after the head deflates etc. When the head settles to a low head it does retain well to the bottom of the glass and went down well with a burger off the barbie. :cool:
Ahh just looked it up Its Droids Belgian Wit. I did get slight hints of Banana, Bubblegum too.

Vic Xmas swap No171.JPG
Vic Xmas swap No172.JPG
Vic Xmas swap No173.JPG

After a week chilling I grabbed No.17 because the bottle is as hard as a rock! Poured into a chilled pint glass to get 2/3rd white fluffy head. By the time it took me to then replace flat battery in the camera the head settled some. Mmm smells fruity, tastes Belgianish. Um it actually has a slight flavour not to preferable (like a fume flavour) mostly detectable on the first sip after you swallow. I dont know the descriptive name for it I have had it occasionally in my own beers, or a Cider once that I brewed with M27. The flavour eventually went away completely so maybe this should have been left a bit longer maybe at ambient temps. or maybe I was unlucky and got an affected bottle.
So more prepared with the camera this is how it poured and a few minutes after the head deflates etc. When the head settles to a low head it does retain well to the bottom of the glass and went down well with a burger off the barbie. :cool:
Ahh just looked it up Its Droids Belgian Wit. I did get slight hints of Banana, Bubblegum too.

View attachment 110315 View attachment 110316 View attachment 110317

Brioche! yum that looks good..

The Belgian was my first pressure ferment. It then went into kegs and I thought on transferring to PET it would lose some carbonation but apparently not..

4. DJ_L3thAL - Macleod Bitter (WLP059) 4.8%, drink now.

Appearance
Straw to gold, tad hazy, thick foaming head, waited a few mintues and it settled into a solid 7mm white cloud on top.

Aroma
Legitimately smells like a can of beer that has been in the fridge for years! This thing is Australian beer dialled to 11 on aroma. My old man said it smells like what a king brown of Carlton draught did when he was 6 years old. Not sure what he was doing with it when he was 6. Compared to techno's, the aroma is certainly dialled up of that ester.

Flavour:
Sweet refreshing malt upfront, then refreshing bitter edge then back to sweet, just like a few tinnies on the beach at sunset. Lovely from start to finish and very similar to Techno's but still a stand alone.

You have both done really well with these IMHO. Both hit the nail on the head in different ways. Small critique on the carb of this one, but once settled was closer to a pub tap beer. I can't call it between the two. Was this a one malt + sugar brew? Very good mate, I do love it and will certainly have to do a rub of 059 beers in the next few weeks.

The metamorphic transformation from wort to beer....as predicted was complete by the 9th.

full

Nothing sedimentary in the pour, lots of stone fruit. Could not find any faults...in fact it's really good schist! Well done.

Wife's review....."very hoppy".

Think the offensive summer stout might be next....after something a little......boulder.

And I think that's rock bottom.

Well, it seems crystal clear that someone needs to have the minerals to break the trend and post a new review:

17 - droid, Wit

Appearance
Large tight fluffy white head.
Hazy golden straw.

Aroma
Strong typical Wit aroma - white pepper dominant, with a bit of honey malt poking through

Flava
As per aroma, plus a lot of bubbles.
Refreshing, with a moderate mouthfeel.
Great balance nice full malty flavour but also very light refreshing beer. Wit elements quite noticeable, but not overdone.
Carbonation steadily settles down, and the malt stands out a little more.
Bitterness very mild, and just right for the style/balance. Just a slight lingering bitterness

Overall
Admittedly Wit is possibly my least favourite style of beer. However, this was a great beer to enjoy. Showcases all the best elements of the style, nice subtle malt element blended with the stronger yeast and, i assume, wheat elements of the style; but all within balance to achieve a nice, relatively light refreshing, beer. Somehow oddly suitable for watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

And then:

21A, TSMill, Bier de Garde.

Appearance
Nice whitish head, moderately fine, gradually collapses to a thin layer.
Deep reddish amber.
Slightly hazy

Aroma
Lovely malty, spicy aroma, maybe a little fruitiness from the melded malt elements.

Flava
Deep maltiness melds with some alcohol warmth, produces something like a caramel element. Not quite the typical caramel flavour, more a deep maltiness with a slight honey element blending into it.
Bitterness is mild and smooth.
Nice clean finish. Moderate mouthfeel. Dry finish after an initial (slight) malt sweetness.
Fruitiness in the aroma originally doesn’t seem to be present in the flavour, instead i’m assuming a clean fermentation plus the bitterness & alcohol helps to provide the clean finish.
High carbonation, carbonic bite helps the bitterness balance the malt elements

Overall
Fantastic beer, Troy. Love how the malts and the spiciness stand out, and the initial malt sweetness melds into the clean dry finish. I’d love to replicate that spiciness - one of my favourite elements in beer. Great general balance of elements. I’d be curious to see how this would go with a lower alc%. Would love to see the recipe for this as well!

17. droid - Belgian Wit @ 4.46% : ready, drink as your first beer for the day on a hot day

Being a blistering 19.8C here in Ferntree Gully (hey, the sun’s out, amiright?) I thought Droid’s Belgian sounded like a good idea. And it is!

The carb is high, as it should be for Belgians. I’ve tried low-carbing them and they come off as flabby and not very pleasant. This one is crisp, despite a very solid malt body. There’s enough at play here that there’s more a balance of power, than a single balance point. From aroma, to carb, to malt, to phenols, it’s a parade of who’s in charge at the moment. There’s a lingering malt sweetness that keeps going and going.

There’s a bit of phenolic burn in the throat finishing up the experience parade. I think myself and a lot of people have been identifying phenols as alcohol, or just not noticing them at all. At the very least, I’ve only recently become aware of this, and it’s something I’m trying to understand control mechanisms for. IMHAO they play a huge role in heavily late-hopped beers, BIPA’s in particular, Belgian beers and wits. I have much reading to do!

I’m happy I had a blistering hot day (omigod! It’s 20.6 now!) to drink this. Mmmmmm, BEER!

21B.
I generally don't like saisons, maybe the one's I've tried have been brew too warm or something. This example was closer to what I'd want if I brewed one. Though slightly over on carb, there was a persistent lovely white head, dead clear on first pour beautiful light golden colour with bubbles whizzing to the top of the glass. The nose was quite fruity and inviting, and malt flavours balancing nicely. Still not a fan of the style but I'll definitely be emptying this bottle.
cheers well brewed!

Latest posts

Back