VIC 2016 Xmas Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. AJ's Northern German Altbier

Aroma is clean clean clean. Colour is a deep ruby, off white right head and some lacing. Flavour is just perfect in terms of balance, with a subtle hint of roast that plays well. No hop character which is traditional for style, although I've become addicted to Spalt so am hunting for it in this but need to remind myself it's not usually there for this style hehe.
Fantastic AJ, love it. It's just the best all rounder style and you've brewed it exceptionally well. 10/10 Thank you [emoji3][emoji106]

technobabble66 said:
Got a version for those of us without beersmith? (& uncle warmie's stout). Please!

I guess it obviously makes sense to back things off a little to have a more session able beer, but it's hard to get off the Moar Train [emoji6]
I'm learning it's a very, very fine line between still getting a solid impact of flavour from hops & (especially) malts but not pushing it into heavy territory. I like my heavier beers, but sometimes I'm simply after something a bit more sessionable.
Here are all my Altbier recipes in PDF inc. notes :D

View attachment Alt.Beer.Spalt (Dusseldorf Alt) 20161015.pdf

View attachment Alt.Beer.Spalt (Dusseldorf Alt) 20160716.pdf

View attachment Alt.Beer.Recipe.Spalt (Northern German Altbier) 20150330 - Recipe.pdf

mofox1 said:
24. malt junkie - DIPA, Bottled today 23/11 Ready around new year
Mine must have had some O2 issues... no hops, slight sweet thing I usually associate with kit beers... Darn it. Hope it's just mine, was looking forward to it.
Unfortunately mine I just opened is similar, can definitely pickup that kit 'twang-like' flavour you mentioned, reminds me of the same. No hops aroma albeit a clean aroma. Quite a thick mouthfeel and a bit slick, very bitter. Can't finish it I am sorry [emoji30] I was really in the mood for a strong IPA... [emoji24]

10. JB - Smoke on the porter - drink after Mardoo's beer :)

Sorry JB, I've opened this before Mardoos beer. Luckily the world has not imploded!
As black as the Nights Watch's castle... Coffee coloured head that stays dense but thin, good lacing, almost as clenchy (is that a word?) as a latte. Aroma doesn't present anything that stands out, is definitely clean. Taste the smoke is well a truly there, but by all means not as offensive as some smoke beers I've had/hated (Bright Brewery one and also that 100% Manuka smoked beer in a previous swap was also intense bacon). As it warms there is a pleasant sweetness there supporting the smoke and it all seems to work well. Definitely extremely well brewed and I'm still drinking it and enjoying it. Many thanks JB!

DJ_L3ThAL said:
4. AJ's Northern German Altbier

Aroma is clean clean clean. Colour is a deep ruby, off white right head and some lacing. Flavour is just perfect in terms of balance, with a subtle hint of roast that plays well. No hop character which is traditional for style, although I've become addicted to Spalt so am hunting for it in this but need to remind myself it's not usually there for this style hehe.
Fantastic AJ, love it. It's just the best all rounder style and you've brewed it exceptionally well. 10/10 Thank you [emoji3][emoji106]
Cheers mate - glad you liked it and even more glad you've sent me down this path. Such an awesome style.

technobabble66 said:
Recipes from AJ & DJ for the Alts? Please!
A pleasure techno. Sometimes less is moar:)

Grist:
81.63% pale malt (gladfield)
12.24% munich1 (best maltz from memory)
3.06% pale chocolate (gladfield)
3.06% dark crystal (gladfield)
Single infusion mash @ 67C for 60 mins
OG 1.050

60 minute boil with:
1.4 g/L spalt @ 60
0.4 g/L warrior @ 60
0.5 gL spalt cube hop

Fermented with WY1007 @ 15C - massive pitch of yeast and held at 15C for the entire ferment (took a while). Crash chillled at 0C for a week before bottling.

24. malt junkie - DIPA, Bottled today 23/11 Ready around new year

The cap was pretty loose on this one but never less it held its carbonation. Massive murky brown colour and cloudy AF. Aroma is more in the toasty caramel range, like a a rich fruit pudding of some sort, dark sugar and raisiny. I liked it but no hop aroma. Flavour up front was actually pretty good despite aroma and appearance. Smooth bitterness with a little bit of balls around the edges, followed by the alcohol. The flavour didnt really have any malt or hop dominance where it kinda lacked in the finish.

Interested to know your pitching rates and fermentation regime for this. I think a little tweaking and this could be a great beer.

Midnight Brew said:
The trend continues!

19. WarmBeer - Uncle Warmy's Breakfast Stout (Keep warm for at least 2 weeks. Maybe end of Dec would be better)

Jet black, tanned head that fades over a few minutes (as expected with oats). Dark warm toasty notes and clean esters in the aroma. Flavour is outstanding! Chocolate notes paired with the smoothness of the oats has this sitting as one of my favourite dark beers of all time. It warms you up as you drink it. Very clean and really well brewed mate, the malt really shines through and takes center stage while still maintaining plenty of balance. The mouthfeel is perfect even with the carbonation. I'd love a keg of this on tap in Winter.

Sessionable AF. Great label too. I would happily drink this for breaky and recreate it.

Id love a recipe mate.

*Enjoyed after extending the the hop trellises up and onto the roof.
Far out what a beer! Might be my favourite so far from this swap! Secret ingredient weet bix hey?

19. WarmBeer - Uncle Warmy's Breakfast Stout
Took the plunge on mid-30s summer day and unfortunately it was too warm for my smoking jacket which is current,y at the dry cleaners. Poured a silky black with equally slick tanned head. Oozes milk/oat stout on the nose with a familiar oatmeal alcoholic warmth. Couldn't be further from a pale lager. Interestingly it smells like it tastes: silky, warming, oaty and deep. Doesn't scream roast yet has classic stout character - almost like it carries all the qualities of a good porter and marries them with oatmeal stout. Competition quality.
Label:10/10
Thirst quenchingness on an Aussie summer's day: 1.5/10
Drinking enjoyment: 9.5/10
Pairs with: smoking jackets and silver beards

22. Mardoo/DJ Collab - Two Fuzzy Nuts
Roast Chesnut Amber Ale

Creamy head, dark amber and clear as a bell. The aroma is interesting and has me kinda stumped I know I smell hops and but there is nothing that dominates and it has kinda transformed into a what I can only describe as sweet rich cake, the kind you know you dont want to share with anyone. The flavour, OH WOW! This swap keeps on giving. Bitterness is smooth, flavour is all kinds of awesome. Malty, sweet, rich then more bitterness and then more malt. I really like how its all tied in to a friendly harmoney. 9.5% well ****. This is gonna hit me in a few minutes so i'll keep this short. I cant pinpoint the chestnuts but I notice a difference and I think you'd 100% know they wernt there if you brewed it without. They kinda transform the beer and assist with the ABV, malt, hops and I think yeast too.

This one is a beauty fellas. Absolutely love everything about this beer and cant fault it. Blow me BJCP!!

Cheers mate! I greatly appreciate the opinions of other brewers on this one.
Sorry AJ80, I WILL get to the recipe. Things have been complex. After the drama it's just TV and the cats, though, eh?

5. VP Brewing - Tripel
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486105055.826345.jpg
That hot, hot bubbly cold beer. Warming alcohol in a fizzy cold beverage that battles to be better depending on the temp. Quite clean and simple with bold grain flavours with a hint of ester spice. Mild noble hops on the aroma, bitterness bang on. It's tough to make a beer like the Belgians but this is a good attempt that has none of the calling cards of an amateur brewer. Probably a good age to drink it.
Speak of which it's February...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486107923.479384.jpg
Best enjoyed while cranking Nine Inch Nails at full tilt on the home but stereo (but then again everything is except seeing him on stage)

Ive had a couple of these tonight

1 cocko is a cnt

loved the subtle spice with it, enjoyed it more as it warmed a little.. no surprise,
head was a little volatile, big bubbles no lacing and faded fast (probably infected)
shit didnt matter, was a pleasant relaxing evening drop that I well enjoyed

4 AJ's German alt

not my style as a got to but no revelation there, was great to wash that shit from Cocko out of my face though, cor, what a shit show!
Great carb, loved the body in this, has me intrigued, what was the yeast? have to admit to knowing sweet fa about alt, but will now learn

13 Mofox's Belgian Amber Ale..

Its..er well carbed.. still trying to slowly pour a glass :lol:

*ed ed: was worth waiting for, kinda slick mouthful and despite the carb, which ive let settle out in the glass for 10minutes, is quite lush, rich and **** I wish I had some chocolate... props..

seems to have been the theme of the night to randomly grab bottles at utter random that arent my thing, but ya know.. thats the exact reason why case swaps are the most awesome thing on earth.. exposure to styles you wouldnt, in the everyday, grab one of, but afterwards continue to think about..

Yob said:
Ive had a couple of these tonight

1 cocko is a cnt

loved the subtle spice with it, enjoyed it more as it warmed a little.. no surprise,
head was a little volatile, big bubbles no lacing and faded fast (probably infected)
shit didnt matter, was a pleasant relaxing evening drop that I well enjoyed

4 AJ's German alt

not my style as a got to but no revelation there, was great to wash that shit from Cocko out of my face though, cor, what a shit show!
Great carb, loved the body in this, has me intrigued, what was the yeast? have to admit to knowing sweet fa about alt, but will now learn

13 Mofox's Belgian Amber Ale..

Its..er well carbed.. still trying to slowly pour a glass :lol:

*ed ed: was worth waiting for, kinda slick mouthful and despite the carb, which ive let settle out in the glass for 10minutes, is quite lush, rich and **** I wish I had some chocolate... props..

seems to have been the theme of the night to randomly grab bottles at utter random that arent my thing, but ya know.. thats the exact reason why case swaps are the most awesome thing on earth.. exposure to styles you wouldnt, in the everyday, grab one of, but afterwards continue to think about..
Cheers mate - glad you enjoyed the alt. It was fermented with WY1007 at 15C (massive pitch).

TheWiggman said:
No longer on call for work - longneck time!

17. GrumpyPaul - Russian Roulette ESB
Yep it's infected. Appearance oozes ESB, but nose says brett. Like Martin said, it's not overly off-putting but has me wondering if I should finish the rest of it or move on to something that is as intended. You'll have to prove the skillz next swap if you or I don't drop out.
Crap I can't stop burping, super carbed.
Trying this now. Certainly infected, but in a really good way (for my tastes anyway). Really smooth Brett driven funk on the nose that follows through in the flavour. I'm enjoying this (but I do like the weird stuff).

24. malt junkie - DIPA

Soft bottle but took a chug thinking I'd chuck a carb cap on it but found it low carbed

Little to no head (possibly could have fixed it but Im drinking it)

A little sweet but the solid bitterness that follows makes you forget that pretty quick, rich body and for mind, I think the DIPA's I enjoy the most are the dry ones, that said, all the hallmarks of a good recipe, Im wondering what the hops were.. lots of 3 or 4?

Sorry mate, I really should have carbed this up more to do it justice,

Deep copper and so much hop haze its nearly a light show, almost murky :icon_drool2: love the tones in the malts..

I'd love to see this 8 points lower :chug: but great direction mate keep on that one

*ED: I have thrown the carb cap on this, 40psi and I'll get to it again in a few days. Really felt the carb might change the game on this beer

Latest posts

Back