2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the end of the day, these swaps are all about learning, and ive certainly learned to be more vigilant on my regime, so thanks for that :)

7. Liam_Snorkel Black Brett IPA. Not as rich and almost fruity as I recall from 12 months ago, this is somewhat 'harder' , still very noiticeable 'bretty' going on, and some lovely bitterness kicks in as it warms up. Very nice mate.

Umm....thtis bottle ain't going to be chucked just yet :beerbang:

Disregard all previous comments....other than it's bloody delicious and chucking the bottle....I'm sulking.

IMG_0537.JPG

So I had number 15 Radshoes last night at Perrys.
Now that funky mother fucker is not the same as the beer I have been drinking a keg of for a while.
If you havent drunk it yet, you are in for a treat.
If you already drunk it, dont worry about it, there is no point living your life regretting beers you drank too early.

Still got the 15 left... in fact it went in the fridge a couple of days ago. Looking forward to it...

Had the Dark Mild tonight (#21)
2-16-darkmild.jpg

Smells toasty, very very toasty! I think perfect style points, with coffee and chocolate there and very subtle dark caramel. Nutty. The base malt shines too with some light honey sweetness.

Great to throw a dark mild in the mix and I reckon you've nailed it with an awesome beer. Nice one. :)

Aydos' sour imperial barrel aged stout
Weee, she's carbed. Probably due to leaving it in the bottle a few extra weeks. And brett.
This foam is delicious. Tart tangy. Can't wait to get to the beer. :)
Taste is pretty much that soft brett funk. The stout is trying its best to push brett aside but nope.
Top beer mate.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1474027603.394663.jpg

23. Rokaxe (aka Josh)- Hellfire saison

The aroma is interesting, a little citrus with some lemongrass and a touch of cracked pepper. It goes down very clean with faint notes of the saison yeast but subtle at best. The citrus Chilli character and a lemongrass flavour come through with great intensity. A slight grainy pilsner like character underlies the overall flavours. The Chilli provides a great burn but doesn't over power at the same time. 8 000, 000 scoville units is not detected I'm detecting closer to 350 000 (orange habanero level)

I really like this, the heat would be a bit over powering for a non Chilli eater I think and it takes the shine away from all the other flavour elements.

Solid beer and greatly enjoy drinking it, cheers mate!

1475482190159.jpg

18. Bribie G - Midnight Train American Malt Liquor, y'all.

I had this one the other night but I was too lazy to write something.

The aroma is quite delicious, rich malty aromas with biscuit notes and a slight toffee aroma. There is a slight hint of alcohol in the aroma.

The flavour follows suit with the aroma with a nicely balanced bitterness that just carries the rich malty flavours. The alcohol is definitely there but not offensive.

This is definitely on my list of brews to come, very nice beer Michael.

Cheers

1475581054939.jpg

Bribie G said:
21 Robv - Dark Mild 3%

Looking at the lid I thought it was no. 2: smoked farmhouse ale and thought "you've got to be joking"
Then when I checked on the list.

Man... I thought I was guru of the milds, I don't really drink them as life's too short for low alcohol beer, but I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to the old Dart and in particular the likes of the old Lorimers Scotch, Brains Dark and Newcastle IPA etc (basically milds). I've brewed a couple for comps and got into the Nationals with one.

But Rob's mild takes it to a new level. Brilliant stuff, soft on the palate and chocolatey and refreshing at the same time. My criticism of Aussies trying to brew milds is that they often get it dead wrong, but this one ticks all the boxes. I take it you will be entering this in your State comp this year?
Wish I had another bottle.
Got 1st at QABC and just got a 3rd at nationals , pretty stoked with that

You said you only had one bottle left so wouldn't enter it - did you rebrew or enter your spare plus the bottle you got back from the swap?

Liam_snorkel said:
Told you it was a good beer
Indeed.

Rob, did that beer have a healthy chunk of brown or amber malt in it?

Parks said:
You said you only had one bottle left so wouldn't enter it - did you rebrew or enter your spare plus the bottle you got back from the swap?
Managed to get another swap beer from one of the TooSoba guys

Parks said:
Managed to get another swap one from one of the TooSoba guys :)

Adr_0 said:
Indeed.

Rob, did that beer have a healthy chunk of brown or amber malt in it?
A bit of choc malt mate

No. 24 Adr0 Wheat Doppelbock.

Finally getting round to some of the stragglers and I'm glad I waited for this one. :beerbang:
24 doppelbock.jpg

Good wheaty rocky head, smooth aroma with no off scents. Smelled very familiar, what's going on here?

On the first sip, I knew, just knew, that it was something I've tasted before. It was doing my head in - it was taking me right back to something decades ago. AArrrgghhh :blink:

Then it hit me, I was in a pub in Sunderland drinking Theakston's Old Peculier off the wood.
Somehow, impossibly, Adr0 has just about nailed that classic brew - dark, rich, and very Theakstony ... bugger me dead.

PM recipe??????????

Well done

19 Angus - Pick a Windae Wee heavy.

19 Wee heavy.jpg

Shit am I going to be a mess....

Lovely copper / mahogany crystal clear with head that subsides as expected from a higher alcohol beer.
Slight fruit, little or no hop, warm grain aroma that reminds you of your grandma opening an oven.

Dark luscious flavour like swimming with warm naked nubian goatherd maidens in a dark warm ocean of warm smooth stuff.

Man this case swap has taught me that I've gotta hop on my bike, gird my loins and lift my game, really I do :eek: :eek: :eek:

As I may have posted, I've been doing swaps since probably 2009 and in that time they've evolved from APA, APA, APA with your choice of Cascade or Amarillo, to a range of high quality offerings that would be eminently saleable at most craft brew bars.

:super:

Bribie G said:
19 Angus - Pick a Windae Wee heavy.

Dark luscious flavour like swimming with warm naked nubian goatherd maidens in a dark warm ocean of warm smooth stuff.
Hey Angus, if this is the normal reaction, any chance of getting a case of this???

Back