Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I must...
3. TheWiggman - Haters' Wheat
If you weren't aware because you've never heard of me or AHB, I don't like wheat beers. For some reason though I brewed a few Weissbiers early on and cemented my opinion. Like most brewers, I'm partial to my own beers however rarely 'nail it' because I'm my own biggest critic. Friends have requested wheats in the past so I've garnered info on them as well as tailoring them to my own tastes based on my experience. The more I divulge in Belgians, the more I enjoy phenols but still can't enjoy clove.
Mild haze in the glass with lively carbonation. Not quite 'classic' white (though intentionally so). Builds up a nice head that holds it's itself al the way to the bottom of the glass. Aromatically it's clearly a wheat, phenolics in spades with hint of banana and grain. On the first sip it's that typical plastic-flavoured hit you get with a wheat beer and for me a little off-putting - there's some clove in there but well balanced, no bubblegum esters to speak of nor much banana. Probably a little past it's prime. It feels like quite a mouthful to drink, coming across as dry but full-flavoured. After a few sips the fullness subdues and the dominant flavours meld to a refreshing beverage the tastes less like chewing on a ruler and more like a beer made from something other than malted barley. In honesty, if I were to open up a brewery this is the beer I would want as a wheat beer, as it's familiar enough for the die-hard fans to enjoy somewhat but also welcomes newcomers to the different style. Instead of jumping in at the deep end, there's this. I feel like I could drink it all day in summer, much like that first hit of Carlton Draught throws you back but 8 schooners later you've forgotten the taste and start considering climbing a tree in the beer garden. It is however still a wheat so there would have to be some pretty ******* ordinary beers for me to put this at first place in a swap. Thanks for the beer.

11. Whiteferret - British Strong Ale
8a69727e7f977a9a946583a77f27e676.jpg

Soft bottle to squeeze and barely a hiss on opening. Zero head and carbonation, I was ready to write it off as not capped properly or something. It smells sweet with generous DJ-esque nuttiness and a hint of malt character and bready... I dunno, 'notes'. The aroma certainly lives up to expectations, it's full bodied with roast hiding amongst the walnuts and alcoholic sweetness. Certainly can taste the alcohol, not avertly so given it's 8% but comes across as stronger than what it is. As it warms the balance mellows but maintains sherry-like overtones and sweetness. Very little to comment on as far as faults go, it's a clean brew. More cellar time and some carbonation would have made for a much better experience I reckon. Cheers again Wayne.

My favourite beer ATM blew late last night. Drinking the 2nd bottle of Grumpy's American Rye.

Loving rye at the moment, had a session harvest ale on tap with 10% and couldn't go to my other tap beers and I knew I had this one in the fridge. Lovely stuff Paul! Glad I grabbed a second bottle.

Glad you liked it Cam.

It was a break from big hoppy IPAs for me. It was nice to do something that was essentially easy drinking but not just another pale ale.

I've lost the notes I took of the No:13 Haters Wheat by Wiggman :( Vague recollection its was something like:
Very good for Wheat beer ha. I'm not a great wheat beer fan but that's maybe because I've only tried commercial stuff that hasn't really grabbed me but this was very nice. It has the WB character I know but better than any shelf product I've tried. :cool: I could easily session it.
Damb I wish I could find those notes it was much more descriptive.

Ahh awesome! I've got a second bottle of it. :foammug:
Low head, slight haze, slight bubble gum aroma or some kind of lolly aroma I cant pin point.
Clean, refreshing, low but lingering bitterness against maybe the most malty sweet flavored wheat beer I've tasted. I still cant pin point that lolly kind of character but its nice. I guess its the yeast and just a good blend well brewed.
:bigcheers:

Last edited:
IMG_20171007_152917.jpg

15. Tahoose - Fortified stout
As far as stouts go it's light - I can see through it and it's actually a bright beer. Very deep auburn-copper-red. The carbonation borders on medium and holds a very nice cream-tan head that other beers would be jealous of. It's an interesting beer, immediately I got the impression it was a strong brown ale as aromatically I got a little hazelnut and a character that couldn't be described as anything but 'English ale'. Stout? I wouldn't call it a stout, nor a porter to be honest. It has aspects of both but as far as the package is concerned I'd label it a strong English ale. I can't make much of the fortified aspect of it, there's a hit of alcohol in the background (as you'd expect at 6.5%) but it doesn't come across as a lighter beer with alcohol added. And I don't think you'd want to either, so well done there. Lacks any sweetness (appropriately), very mild burnt character which lingers on the tongue and full body. Not a beer to be had in the summer sun. It is however something to sip away slowly while pondering yard work and spousal expectations while the kids watch a movie in the background. Cheers Tahoose, good to put a face to the name at the swap too.
Ed: crap maybe I should clean that window... after the beer.

Last edited:
5. droid - Nefarious Villain
Idiotically I was thinking this was another of Grumpy's beers (I ended up with a few somehow) and realised pretty quickly this was no pale ale. To be brutally honest I don't think I appreciate this beer, and I'll call it as I see it.
A velvety head rests on the top of the tar just like it should. Immediately I'm hit with a bourbon-come-horse blanket and the tang of perhaps cherry? First thoughts were it was a cherry sour, but then after a few sips it's less sour and more bourbon, or whiskey. It has a glazed cherry 'slant', and each element seems to jump out separately. Like if I'm thinking of an element, I taste it (mind games taking over senses again). Aromatically I'm not getting anything sour so I'm doubting there is actually a sour component to the blend, and it might be the barrel taste coming through. Well I'm assuming it's been oaked, in either whiskey or bourbon. It's not "RUM IN YO' FACE" like an example I had at a previous swap but it's very much there. The cherry tastes dies off the further I get into the glass which makes me want it more, but oddly it gets more balanced as it warms up even though I'm wanting that cherry. Maybe it's my original perception of the sourness playing around with my judgement but I am enjoying it more after having more. I think I read something about fruitcake or plum pudding earlier and I get it, but it doesn't taste fruity to me.
As a package for mine it's just a bit 'too much', which to be honest is not unusual for me for an oaked stout. I mean cherry, RIS-warmth, bourbon, oak, I read it's a blend so I'm left wondering how each element might have tasted on its own. The bitterness however matches the rest of the glass and the carbonation is A1. Many thanks for the experience droid, I hope I can taste beers in the future because this has given my palate the middle finger.

That's me for the swap, thanks for all those who put in and would be great if the numbers were up there next time.

this one has 24 on the lid? is this the haters perhaps?

Had a slight musty smell out of the bottle on opening. Poured well with a nice head and carbonation.
Has a nice mouthfeel, it feels full a bit gummy like it's too full then it reaches for the top of the mouth with the fizz and lightens up, there's some kind of bubblegum flavour. Initially I thought there was a citrus hops but as the beer warms it's bubblegum. What was the yeast?
Head is nice and fine and hanging around with lacing all the way as well.
This is a beer that I can enjoy, would I line up another? depends what else was on offer, would I go back to it? if I was at a bar and went for something else after this and didn't like it I'd go for the safety and enjoyment this beer brings

thanks brewer of 24

Could it be a 14 not 24?
I think there was some bubblegum/banana esters in my American Rye...

You'll recognise mine...it was in a brown pet bottle,

If you've had a wheat beer before I think you'd pick mine, it's classic wheat with 3068. There wasn't anything citrus about it in my opinion but that pic does look a lot like mine (thought white balance can tell a lot of lies in digital photography).
You're a witty man Paul. I still have a 14 in the fridge actually, I'll crack it tomorrow for round 3.

it is def the number 24 I've used 3068 but it was a bit if a fail so hard to compare - it must be the Haters. I only got citrus once and on the first taste, which was probably just washing off a layer of stubborn hop oil from all the C IPA's recently

Danscraftbeer Red Earth, she's a bit out of focus as was I after drinking this as the last beer for the night.

Wow, this is a unique flavour but then as it warmed there was liqourice and some plum chocolate - not sure as it was last night now.
Lucky I have two bottles of this. The Mrs tried it and thought it was really nice too.
The abv seems right though I don't think you'd have to change the malt bill to really amp this up

Bloody nice drop Dan - well brewed!

11. WhiteFerret's Old Ale

Woaaahhhhh, good drop Wayne.

Appearance: Copper/mahogany, small white head very clear, perfect carbonation for me.
Aroma: Sweet caramel notes paired with hints of booze
Flavour: Smooth, moreish, sweet but in the cold winters night way, that it needs to be. So smooth.
Overall: Love it, been keeping this at the back of the fridge for a special occasion. Glad I have one bottle left. Reminds me of the bummock but less Scottish. Really love it, would love the recipe to but a stash of bottles of these aside for winter.

EDIT: Far too easy to drink. Bottle gone already. Hope you're coming to the Xmas case swap Wayne!

Last edited:
I feel slack, still have half of the winter swaps to drink yet.
Grabbed one tonight. No 9. Checked back to the list and its 9. mofox1 - Heady Topperish.
The aroma is absolutely gorgeous. Fruity. I can smell from the opened bottle 2 feet away and from the glass if i step outside for a bit then smell it when I re enter the room. Not sure on the name relevance its seems low carbonation and low head. So this is an IPA thing? Its very much like very hop forward, malt forward beers I've made. ABV's must be up there feiw! In the flavor too and it warmed me up on this strange cold Spring night. Full on malt! Full on Hops! I like...

Back