QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale.

A frigging luscious beer. Great nose. Carb, lacing, colour, light mouth feel. Caught rye on the after taste.

AHB swaps.... I'm able to say how good they are.... the more I drink.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502776312.648138.jpg

Wife does not have sharing permissions on this bad boy.

IMG_7010.JPG

5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psuedo [sic] Smash
Aroma is strong, over ripe fruit with a bit of funk and a touch of pepper. Juicy sweet flavour with a dry finish and decent carbonation. This is a tasty beer, from someone with shit taste in music
Cheers Dave

4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA

I've been looking forward to this one.. BOOM on the nose. Huge on the mouth feel. It laces without permission.

Wow, different hop sensation, heaps on the nose then relaxed to the taste. A zombie would have the mouth jolting hop flavour... while claiming by brain as is exemplified here.

Subjective Negatives (if I try): maddening hops are subdued for zombie accolades. Reserve right to change my comment based on smell of tomorrow's urine!!

Loving this mate.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502779497.889638.jpg

IMG_7013.JPG

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale
Sweet grainy aroma, clean tangy malty flavour. Delicious. Kind of makes me want to drink a Flanders red. So we cronked it with a Flanders red.

3) Seehuusen - West Coast Wit (bottled 7/7/17
Smells and tastes like a hoppy wit. Sorry my notes aren't any better but legitimately this is a ******* delicious beer.

#22 HBHB Mosaic session IPA
Martin, this is delicious. All of the hops, balanced with slightly sweet malt and a clean finish. Head retention like a ******* meringue. I have as going to express my disappointment with you not providing some ridiculous smoked imperial dark thingo but honestly this is great

Attachments

• IMG_7015.JPG
    IMG_7015.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 96
2) Liam Hot Cosby

Too hot for my non chilli enthusiast taste buds. Even after I cronked some of my porter into it I couldn't handle it.

My senses registered at ginger beer to begin with, given the slice. But then heaps of heat then followed.

DNF.

And that's my swap all accounted for. Well done all, this was pretty good. My favs were Madpierre's Baltic Porter, Siderman's lambic, Winkle's Acerola Tarwe, and Ben's smoky mc-smoke beer.

Next time I will add more berries and maybe even some special B just to try and get a more berry flavour into it. I can PM you the recipenif you like. Do you use beersmith?

Chuck it up on the recipe thread if you're happy to share.

Parks mkaes a porter.....light roast and sweetness combine, then he chucks a rasher of bacon around it, in that subtle, Parks manner......cracking beer. Ohhh, yeah....I gotta new glass. :drinkingbeer:

IMG_0913.JPG

7) benken25 - applewood rauchbier

Smoke and heaps of it. Delicous beer underneath all of that too. Nice work

9) madpierre06 - Baltic Porter

Mate this was one smooth porter. Roasty and choclaty with hints of vanilla (not sure where that came from if at all).

12) Fattox - cherrywood foreign extra now with more yeast character (Wyeast Thames Valley II)

Boozy and malty. This was a thick delicous beer.

14) Aydos - Blueberry and Black Peppercorn Belgian Stout

I got huge peppercorn on the nose and taste and blueberry on the aftertaste. Such an interesting combo.

16. Scotty Mac - Belgian Wit

Very tasty beer mate, love the delicate wheat characteristics of this style with the hints of orange and a nice tartness to go with it. The yeast chewed up a lot of the body making it nice and light and refreshing.

Good work!

f2c00fd782efbae347d485d947415702.jpg

3. Seehuusen - West Coast Wit

Very easy to drink beer with a great level of carbonation. Very well balanced beer and the head lasted for days! (Unlike the beer)

Cheers mate!

772c0dc6f917385437154dd331ba77b8.jpg

2. Liam - Chocolate porter brewed with Carolina reapers and spices

Yet another great beer mate. I tried to offer the mother in law some but she couldn't handle the heat of it so I got to enjoy it all to myself. I love the spices that go along with this beer, it reminds me of a pumpkin beer. The chocolate malt comes through really well and the beer has a very nice sweet after taste.

I hope the others don't have issues with chillies haha

9db7690842014ef8944fb554af718483.jpg

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale

Bright and tasteful. I absolutely appreciate clarity and this beer is stunning to look at.

My first kettle sour so I'm appreciating the ride mate.

Nose has a delicate and withheld smoke, like 0.05% Manuka but I'm guessing - probably badly.

Nice and dry and that tart acidity in the finish. Not picking up hop aroma to call out.

Subject Negatives (if I tried): lacing and head is absent. Carbonation is very low. But I suspect that this within style.

I have homework to do.

Cheers Earle!
View attachment 107671

Glad you enjoyed it. Attachment seems unavailable though?

No smoked malt in it, I think you might be picking up the touch of oak that I added. The aim was to make a nice clean kettle sour and then see how much complexity (if any) I could add by tricking it up a bit.

I think the carbonation should be a bit higher. Lacto is an enemy of head and lacing so that explains its absence a bit.

cheers

8hr slow smoked oxtail stew with Aydos blueberry and black pepper belgian stout. This is a seriously good beer, presents everything as advertised.

full

1. Winkle - Acerola Tarwe

Very tasty and refreshing, good hit of fruit with a nice tart finish. The base beer seems to be a red ale with a touch of biscuit malt.

Is this the same as last year? It doesn't have the astringent taste like the last one. Did you take this pips out of this one?

Cheers Perry!

ee35c11874f973911ccbdd73c41b4062.jpg

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux)

Tart and refreshing. This was a really delicious beer and a nice change of pace from some other non-swap beers.

6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale

This was great - Nice subtle rye which mixed with the cascade really well.

10) Insensate - oatmeal stout

Really interesting beer. It smelt and tasted roasty and malty. Perfect balance of malts and the thickness of the oatmeal made it very enjoyable.

2) Liam - Chocolate porter brewed with carolina reapers and spices

Lovely warm heat. Wife really enjoys it too. Mouth feel for a porter is bang on.

Star anise, nutmeg and pepper. Roast is prominent.

Heat on subsequent swallows is strong and reenergising. Strong but not overpowering. Absolutely superb

Lacing is solid. This would be brilliant on nitro.

People experience heat differently but my wife and I think it is an excellent experience.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1503288823.251174.jpg

Looking forward to the second glass.

Case swaps: they're awesome.

Thanks Liam

Latest posts

Back