QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7. Benken - Applewood Rauchbier

Smoke, smoke and lots of smoke with a great beer hiding underneath. Nice beer!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502051558.882829.jpg

15. Bradsbrew - Stout de garde

A bit Vegemitey for me. Couldn't quite get into this one sorry.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502051741.464449.jpg

2. Liam - Chocolate Porter with Carolina reapers

Nice for a sip or two but my lips were on fire after that! Enjoyed by a mate who loves his chilli

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502052089.676934.jpg

12. Fattox - Cherrywood foreign extra

Last beer of the night so can't remember much. Loved it and finished it, but that's all I can remember sorry!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502052399.531897.jpg

2. Liam - Chocolate Porter with Carolina reapers

Nice for a sip or two but my lips were on fire after that! Enjoyed by a mate who loves his chilli

A bit hot for me too, but I finished it! Took me over three hours, right up to and into the MotoGP on tv, so that's one way to cut down my beer intake - a beer that you sip like a DOM Benedictine.

Lips have nearly recovered...

Vegemite, I did not expect that? Is the exact same beer from on the swap night. Maybe the carbonation stuff up is effecting it?

I didn't get vegemite. It had something that I attributed to a barrel / winey flavour, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

Yes, that's the overall feedback, lots of oak and shiraz, the dry body makes it quite drinkable without the ideal carbonation. I stuffed up the carbonation by carbing it warm in the keg and only giving it one day chilled on the gas prior to bottling.

6. Luggy- beautiful beer, bitterness on point. Good carbonation enjoying this beer.

14 - this is a really solid stout. Nice mouthfeel and loving the taste. I can't really taste the blueberries but still love the overall taste. Good work, wouldn't mind the recipe for this!

Vegemite, I did not expect that? Is the exact same beer from on the swap night. Maybe the carbonation stuff up is effecting it?

Sounds like someone swapped your beer with my Super High Gravity experiment.

If sideman picked up some essence of crushed 8 months old rhino beetle then that may explain it.

Last edited:
16) Scotty Mack - Belgian Wit

Had this one last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Had the right amount of Belgian character for the style, great long lasting carbonation and was very refreshing. Great work. Can you send me the recipe?

21) Adr0______(labelled IPA) XPBIIPA, 7.2%, ~90-100IBU, hazy, extra pale black session IIPA - Challenger, Waimea, Chinook, Motueka, 1275 yeast - would suggest 2nd August but I'll give some feedback in a week or two so may end up +/- one week from this

This was a really good one. It was clean, hoppy and malty and a lots of flavours going on. Probably too malty for an IPA but delicious anyway. As others have said the hops did get a muddled and I have the feeling it could be due to the maltyness of the beer. I actually think this one would do well as a American Strong Ale instead of the AIPA.

22) HBHB - AIPA with Warrior for bittering and Mosaic late and dry

Had this the other night. Initial taste was a harsh bitterness that lingered throughout the beer. I also got a lot of bready/biscuity malt throughout. It was a tasty beer but I felt it was a bit unbalanced.

16) Scotty Mack - Belgian Wit

Had this one last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Had the right amount of Belgian character for the style, great long lasting carbonation and was very refreshing. Great work. Can you send me the recipe?

21) Adr0______(labelled IPA) XPBIIPA, 7.2%, ~90-100IBU, hazy, extra pale black session IIPA - Challenger, Waimea, Chinook, Motueka, 1275 yeast - would suggest 2nd August but I'll give some feedback in a week or two so may end up +/- one week from this

This was a really good one. It was clean, hoppy and malty and a lots of flavours going on. Probably too malty for an IPA but delicious anyway. As others have said the hops did get a muddled and I have the feeling it could be due to the maltyness of the beer. I actually think this one would do well as a American Strong Ale instead of the AIPA.

22) HBHB - AIPA with Warrior for bittering and Mosaic late and dry

Had this the other night. Initial taste was a harsh bitterness that lingered throughout the beer. I also got a lot of bready/biscuity malt throughout. It was a tasty beer but I felt it was a bit unbalanced.
Thanks for the feedback Nick - you may have nailed it. The Munich II, Victory and decoction (and yeast) evidently buffered the 90-100IBU enough... But perhaps too much.

I think this was a one-off beer for me as there's too much effort in the hopping schedule and too many variables. I would have liked it to work out better but *shrugs*
:cheers:

11 Fitzlp red rye IPA

Heaps of rye character. As you've said earlier, hops are more at a pale ale level, so it's a bit out of balance with the rye.

But, it's an interesting flavour. Good for dissecting what rye really tastes like and what it can do for a beer.

Overall I quite like it.

3. Seehuusen - West Coast Wit

Nice flavours but was pretty undercarbed. Threw on the carb cap and was a nice drink!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502354127.287537.jpg

10. Insensate- Oatmeal Stout

Pretty sure you said this was your first all grainer. Cracking effort mate. Nice chocolate roast, well carbonated and generally delicious

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502439770.270725.jpg

10. Insensate- Oatmeal Stout

Pretty sure you said this was your first all grainer. Cracking effort mate. Nice chocolate roast, well carbonated and generally delicious

View attachment 107584

Hey thanks Siderman,
Yeh it was my second attempt of all grain. Did u find it to be a bit watery tasting? I tried mine the other day and liked the flavour but found it to be a bit watery for lack of a better word:)

I thought there would be more body with all the 1kg of oats I used. Any tips on adding more body? I mashed at 68 degrees and have a pump to recirculate it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back