NSW Mid Year Case Swap 2017 Recipe + Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11. shacked - Dunkelryeizen (WLP351) - 5.8%

Sorry to say it, but i think I must have received an infected bottle.

I got whack of sweaty feet and muted hop flavour, which is a shame because I love me some rye in beers!

11. shacked - Dunkelryeizen (WLP351) - 5.8%

Sorry to say it, but i think I must have received an infected bottle.

I got whack of sweaty feet and muted hop flavour, which is a shame because I love me some rye in beers!

That's the one I must have bottled with my sweaty feet.

Shit, sorry mate. That sucks.

Last edited:
Number 2 paulyman's coffee amber ale.

Clear light brown with a light head and carbonation on the low side. Very clean beer. Coffe on the nose and in the flavour as well but nicely melded with the malt. Did you add coffee beans to the fermenter for that flavour? This is a delicate beer, thoroughly enjoyable.

Cheers Mick.

I cold brewed some coffee ( I think most recipes recommended 1-2 oz, whatever that was in grams) for roughly 24 hours and then added to the beer at around 1.020 to try and offset any potential oxygenation. Kind of like dry hopping really.

Hi All,

For those who have had mine [#9-Stinkin' Pom IPA], Would you class it as an AIPA or EIPA?
putting it in a comp tonight ;)
english definitely

Hi All,
Figured I would make a thread as i was asked for this recipe at our local brew meet.

Stinkin' Pom IPA:

Batch Size (fermenter): 48.00 l
Estimated Color: 18.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 55.9
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.009

Ingredients: ------------
Amt .......Name ................................................................%/IBU
12.00 kg Maris Otter Malt (Muntons) ................5.9 EBC 92.3 %
1.00 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) ................100.5 EBC 7.7 %
40.00 g Magnum [14.10 %] -............................ Boil 60.0 min 26.2 IBUs
100.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - ............................ Boil 12.0 min 18.5 IBUs
100.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Boil 12.0 min 11.1 IBUs
100.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - ............................ Dry Hop 4.0 D 0.0 IBUs
100.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.70 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 D 0.0 IBUs
4.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-)
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 kg

Note: 12min additions are Cube Hopped

This is a cracking beer. I really enjoyed it.

Nice spicey / earthy / floral hop note and a really strong malt backbone. Doesn't seem like 56 IBU but I like that!

I wish I had half a dozen more!!!!

#6 Reman English Dark Mild 1.8%

Pours a beautiful dark caramel with persistent medium white head
Caramel and sweet malt on the nose.
Nose follows through to the mouth with a touch of roast and carbonic bite to balance
Medium body with medium carbonation.

Very nice beer, I haven't had much in this style.
The mouthfeel tells me that there is something slight missing, I am guessing that is due to the low ABV.
I would say this is the best low ABV beer I have had.

Last edited:
For anyone that does have a bottle of the white stout I'd suggest putting it in the fridge now. I cracked one tonight and it was overcarbed. Not a gusher but a bit of head crawling out the top after the first pour. Sorry about that. Still tastes ok though

Enjoying Barls' Brett Pale AKA "Something special for Fatz". Tropical fruit, particularly pineapple, on the nose and palate. Very nice example of what Brett can do in primary. Don't fear it Ian if you haven't had it yet, not a hint of funk at this early stage, it's all pineapple goodness.

glad you enjoyed it. everyone at the isb meeting last night that had it did as well.

12. MikeyR - Cali Uncommon

If this beer was unnamed, i would've thought it was a Belgian Pale Ale.

Pear, apple, plum esters, with a medium to high phenolic profile. Medium attenuation, possibly from the yeast but suspect it was from the mash as the yeast seems quite expressive. Extremely well balanced towards the malt, sweet finish without being cloying, with medium low to medium hop flavour but still present and being noble / slightly spicy?

I'd be really pleased if i made this. I find it hard to get that balance between mouthfeel and malt which i think you nailed. Well done!

Attachments

• IMG_20170706_183618.jpg
    IMG_20170706_183618.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

If this beer was unnamed, i would've thought it was a Belgian Pale Ale.

Pear, apple, plum esters, with a medium to high phenolic profile. Medium attenuation, possibly from the yeast but suspect it was from the mash as the yeast seems quite expressive. Extremely well balanced towards the malt, sweet finish without being cloying, with medium low to medium hop flavour but still present and being noble / slightly spicy?

I'd be really pleased if i made this. I find it hard to get that balance between mouthfeel and malt which i think you nailed. Well done!

Appreciate that, funnily enough it was the first batch of a "house beer" (wife's fave) that was really different, had been the one thing i was 100% consistent on . Did three things differently and got a hell of a different beer.

1) Used MJ 54 instead of the usual white labs, was a pig to start and that was with 2 packs hydrated
2) Got a hell of a lot more efficiency and the stuff came out nearly a full percentage point higher than my standard Steam. Hence "Uncommon"
3) New Hops, i.e. a fresh bag from a different source ..... still miss you Yob!

I'm so used to the previous style I'm struggling to love it!

5 - Kelly's Brown Ale

Holly crap now that's a frisky carbonation! Had to beat it down with a stick but well worth the effort. Really enjoyable drop.
Good malty taste with not a lot of hop, really on the money in my books for a traditional brown. I can imagine buying a pint of this in an English pub ...hang on i have.... would fit right in.
Reminds me a bit of an old Kiwi beer which they've killed over the years DB Double Brown. My grandad used to get in wooden crates and was bloody awesome on a Sunday arvo with a roast. If i read right, this is brew #1? ..... damn!

Contrarian Red IPA

Yeah i know i should have left it for a bit longer but is a particular favourite style. Always pick up a few Six Strings when i can. What can i say, dank slightly musty, like being buried under a pile of pine needles while necking a bottle of good Irish whiskey. Love it, want more .......
Great colour, lots of earthy hop notes with a really dry finish. I usually prefer a slightly sweeter drop (which i know is wrong for the style) but have to say this was really excellent change. Was watching Masterchef while they were cooking in the Japanese Food Alley, really wished i could reach into the screen for a few of those sesame crusted prawns to go with this beer! Recipe Please!

5 - Kelly's Brown Ale

Holly crap now that's a frisky carbonation! Had to beat it down with a stick but well worth the effort. Really enjoyable drop.
Good malty taste with not a lot of hop, really on the money in my books for a traditional brown. I can imagine buying a pint of this in an English pub ...hang on i have.... would fit right in.
Reminds me a bit of an old Kiwi beer which they've killed over the years DB Double Brown. My grandad used to get in wooden crates and was bloody awesome on a Sunday arvo with a roast. If i read right, this is brew #1? ..... damn!
kel has been reading the comments and has refused to write this herself.
she was very happy with the beer, sorry you got an over carbed one. she did double prime a few bottles. sounds like you got one.
it was jamils southern brown recipe from brewing classic styles. we stuffed the mash temp and mashed too low for the right alcohol level of 3.5%.
she picked the recipe, did all the work with me just pointing out how the equipment worked and what was the best way to do it.

Kel's Brown. I got a good bottle. Nice drop. Would buy a six pack if it was a commercial brew. Thanks.

Kel's Brown. I got a good bottle. Nice drop. Would buy a six pack if it was a commercial brew. Thanks.

Just cracked my bottle and same experience as Ian. Really enjoying this beer, thanks Kel.

Top beer. Apricots and spices on the nose. Rich, malty flavours mingling with fruit and spicy phenolics. It comes together really well, making a very enjoyable beer.

Kinda reminds me of a mince pie, but not as sweet.

Thanks Mike.

Contrarian Red IPA

Yeah i know i should have left it for a bit longer but is a particular favourite style. Always pick up a few Six Strings when i can. What can i say, dank slightly musty, like being buried under a pile of pine needles while necking a bottle of good Irish whiskey. Love it, want more .......
Great colour, lots of earthy hop notes with a really dry finish. I usually prefer a slightly sweeter drop (which i know is wrong for the style) but have to say this was really excellent change. Was watching Masterchef while they were cooking in the Japanese Food Alley, really wished i could reach into the screen for a few of those sesame crusted prawns to go with this beer! Recipe Please!

The recipe was basically the red IPA from the Gladfields site.

Gladfield Red IPA – 25l
Ingredients:

Malts
3.94kg American Ale Malt (60.6%)
1.31kg Vienna Malt (20.2%)
0.26kg Toffee Malt (4%)
0.46kg Red Back Malt (7.1%)
0.53kg Shepherds Delight Malt (8.1%)

Hops
60min – 32g Pacific Jade
15min – 20g NZ Cascade
0min – 25g Pacifica and 15g NZ Cascade

Yeast
Fermentis SafAle US-05

Targets:
Target Original Gravity 1.060
Estimated ABV 6.1%
Target IBU 40+
Mash at 65°C

Although I adjusted it for my system which is 40L into cubes and I didn't have the hops suggested so just used what I had on hand.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't have an accurate record of what I used but I think there was some citra and either mosaic or simcoe, a 30 minute hop stand of wet cascade and then a big dry hop of aurora and another U.S. Hop. A 90g pack of each.

To be honest I severely doubt that I could replicate the beer but the base recipe is solid so if you start with that and throw hops you like at it you will end up with nice beer.

Glad you enjoyed it. The swap beers are the last ones in existence.

Number 6 Reman English dark mild.

This was a very enjoyable beer. Wasn't sure what to expect it the flavours were delicately balanced and very clean and crisp. Certainly the best light beer I've ever drunk!

Also had Kel's brown.

This was another great beer. Really intriguing flavours. What yeast was used for this one? Perfect carbonation for my bottle. Could easily have had a few more.

4. mattfos01 foreign extra stout in the bottles.

Having this tonight. Some toasty, roasty when cold.
As it warms up, the toasty gives way to chocolate. All the while nice and smooth.
Really enjoying this.

Would like to have this on tap if you could post the recipe it would be good.

Back