Beligan IPA?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luxo_Aussie

Reaction score
G'day All,

Keen to add a Belgian twist onto an IPA - from most reading it appears that people suggest using citrus based hops with a belgian yeast to get something a bit interesting. Threw this idea together late this evening...
Belgian IPA | Batch Size: 26.00 L | Boil Time: 60 min
Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG | Bitterness: 35.6 IBUs | Est Color: 7.2 EBC
4.000 kg Extra Light Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.5 EBC) Grain
0.750 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (7.5 EBC) Grain
0.500 kg Oats, Flaked (Brewferm) (2.0 EBC) Grain
0.250 kg CaraHell (Weyermann) (25.0 EBC) Grain
0.500 kg Candi Sugar, Clear [Boil] (1.0 EBC) Sugar
20.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
50.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop
50.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 mi… Hop
1.0 pkg Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) [35 ml] Yeast
50.00 g Mandarina Bavaria [7.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop
50.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop

How does this sound? Really open to any feedback & especially on what sort of hops would do well (in high quantities & when steeped) with a Belgian yeast.

Cheers & Thanks,

Have a look at Troubadour Magma, If you haven't come across the beer its a Belgian IPA that's well worth the tasting.
It's basically all Simcoe (3 additions, bittered with Saaz) no where near as heavily hopped as some of the American IPA and IIPA's but enough to let both the Belgian (triple) and the hops to show through.
They did a Galaxy version (not my favorite) but every year they do a special.
I would be a bit cautious with the late hops, no point in hiding all those lovely Belgian flavour's.
Mark

I was going to suggest Galaxy, as I think grape fruit would go very well in that style.

Have a look at Troubadour Magma, If you haven't come across the beer its a Belgian IPA that's well worth the tasting.
It's basically all Simcoe (3 additions, bittered with Saaz) no where near as heavily hopped as some of the American IPA and IIPA's but enough to let both the Belgian (triple) and the hops to show through.
They did a Galaxy version (not my favorite) but every year they do a special.
I would be a bit cautious with the late hops, no point in hiding all those lovely Belgian flavour's.
Mark
Thanks Mark, will check out Troubadour Magma as a starting point. I think you're right on the late hops, should probably at least half things to let the Belgian magic from the yeast shine through without being overpowered. I hadn't seen anyone use Mandarina Bavaria in the past (it's a fairly new hop after all) but did see a couple of recipes where people were using orange peel, thought this might give the orange twist to compliment the pine from the Simcoe.

I think I would go with some Curacao Orange used in Hoegaarden (Bitter Orange as is in Cointreau to) if you want botanicals try Brouwland in Belgium, I have brought a few things from them. Just wish they were closed and customs weren't quits so nosy (well I don't really, have to keep the pests out but, sending herbage through the post can raise the odd eyebrow).
Mark

I think I would go with some Curacao Orange used in Hoegaarden (Bitter Orange as is in Cointreau to) if you want botanicals try Brouwland in Belgium, I have brought a few things from them. Just wish they were closed and customs weren't quits so nosy (well I don't really, have to keep the pests out but, sending herbage through the post can raise the odd eyebrow).
Mark
Brouwland is one of my two main stores I order from, great if you're keen to make European-style (especially Belgian) beers but seriously lacking in new world hop department. I've bought the orange peel off them several times now for use in singles, triples & wheat beers.

Best life of Brian voice.... You lucky lucky *******
Mark

Back