Vic 2017 Xmas in July Case Swap - TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grain (Mash was 67C for 60min and Mash out 76C for 10min)
10.5kg Thomas Fawcett floor malted Peal
0.8kg Dark crystal
0.5kg Brown
0.3 Carafa Special II
0.2kg Caramunich III

Hops
80g EKG FWH (60min boil)

Yeast
WLP002 English ale - stalling F&*^*&^&* yeast]
Interesting, I've used brown malt once in a brown porter but it was my first AG brew so can't remember the specifics. I've noted there is a complete absence of nuts in there, are you sure you didn't mix the Peal [sic] for walnuts? Nah surely not, you would have noticed it during the crush. Maybe it's the combo of caramunich and brown?

And thanks JB I do aim to please, although not so apparent to the individual whose beer I'm reviewing ;)

9. mofox1 - Heady Topperish (drink now!

Aroma: Resinous Grapefruit City, can't buy grapefruits this fresh.
Appearance: Golden Copper, dry hop haze (I suspect), looks aggressive AF
Flavour: Sweet upfront, quickly becomes complex, heavy malt flavours (maybe Munich) and then bitter, the American kind, the kind when something is labeled as an American ale, this is how it should taste. I get a really nice mix of malt and hops battling each other which you'd think could create problems in a beer, in this beer however its a battle for balance that I feel is in check and keeps both characters of the beer forward. Im probably crapping on too much now.
Overall: Hop City, satisfying beer that screams flavour and aroma. I don't think I've ever had a heady topper before its gonna take a fair go to wack this off the podium. Cheers for sharing!

no-one really cares for the guessing game...

DJ you got it but I wouldn't be dissapointed. I carefully opened it and only lost a little as it foamed out of the bottle.

For a beer that was to be best enjoyed in September it's holding it's own right now. Mine still managed to pack in a tight head in the center of the glass.
Yeasty aroma, might be picking up some roast/choc.
Nice Dry finish, feels like a session beer - what is the abv Nath; ?
Well balanced, personally I think a beer that is well balanced like this allows for some, hmmn what would I do if I brewed this?
Nothing in your face, chocolate, roastyess...
I find this beer to be like GP's in that it's approachable, enjoyable and the balance gives it a sophisticated'ness ??
Surely would have been a cracker in September mate.
Thanks for that!

No4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale
Well when I saw people reporting on this I thought I had missed out on a sample bottle.
I couldn't find it but It was just at the back low shelf out of view. Found it! :foammug:
Amber color, low head but retains, nice aroma as to the name and so is the flavor. Its dry as, leaves the palate dry but I like that and opposing that it still seems to have some body to it through the tasting progress... The Title is it. :cool:
Nice one. Again I could imagine this being very sessionable in hot weather.

5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of two RIS's and a Sour Cherry Stout
Wow. This is heavy. Opaque. Sweet, Lots of body, low carbonation so theres little head unless forced to. Then that head sustains nicely.
Very warming effect.
Aroma-heavy alcs. Is there Whisky/Oak in this? It seems a little that way.
Complex blend I can taste the Cherry Stout.
Very heavy and rich for the first beer after work but I'll finish the bottle. With content no doubt.
Its like Mud Cake for dinner when it should be Dessert so my timing is out. :p
:bigcheers:
Vic Case Swap beer 55.JPG

Last edited:
Drink ASAP:
3. DJ_L3THAL - English Brown - sorry guys has come to my attention (thanks Wiggman and mofox) that this batch fermented more than it appeared[...]

Drink Now:
4. AJ80 - grapefruit pale ale (Ready - drink fresh)
6. Midnight Brew, IPA - drink end of July.
7. mofox1 - Monster Pale (drink now)
8.GrumpyPaul - Grapefruit Sour. (drink now) [Note there are 15 sours labelled 8 and 5 of the American Rye in this case labelled 8a)
9. mofox1 - Heady Topperish (drink now!)
10. Shortybronx - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
13. TheWiggman - Haters' Wheat
emoji767.png
(drink now)
14. GrumpyPaul – American Rye (drink now)
16. Danscraftbeer. All mine are ready to drink. Bottled from kegs.

Drink Later:
5. droid - Nefarious Villain; A three way blend of Stouts - let age and put a carb cap on if you can when cold to bump the carb up
11. Whiteferret - British Strong Ale (Give it a couple of months say September)
12. Laxation - Stout, American style. Bottled early June, but has been conditioning in a cold room. Will be better in a while.

TBC what it is and when to taste:
1. Idzy
2. Husky
15. Tahoose

16. Danscraft - Red Earth 6.4%

Appearance: Dark red, clear, little to no head but still quiet bubbly.
Aroma: Toffee/Raisin without the sweetness, malt and something familiar I've smelt before but can't put my nose on it.
Taste: Malty, crisp then dry, followed by another hit of malt. The bitterness blends in well with dryness to give it that refreshing sessional feeling. Quiet an enjoyable session beer even though its 6.2%. Reminds me a lot of James Squire Amber Ale I used to smash by the pint load at the Geebung Polo club back in the day, only yours has significantly more flavour and body to it.

Was it a pretty clean ferment? I can't detect any yeast flavours.

I was going to do some uni readings on Babylonian architecture tonight but... I think I'll finish this bottle and have another. Damn you 6.2% 'session' beer!

Sorry about that ha... Clean ferment yes, always. Yeast was Irish Ale WLP004. Interesting yeast and some harvested yeast slurry fermented the best Apple Cider I've ever made. To give it away! :rolleyes:
The flavor/smell you cant quite recognize sounds like when I try to describe the Red Earth hops. Unique but reminds me of something I just cant pin point it.
Some tasting experts have referred to Loquat from the Red Earth Hops.

This is the lowest bitterness beer I've made at 0.442 IBU/SG.

Last edited:
...The flavor/smell you cant quite recognize sounds like when I try to describe the Red Earth hops. Unique but reminds me of something I just cant pin point it.
Some tasting experts have referred to Loquat from the Red Earth Hops.
Pleeeeease try to pin point those descriptors! I'm very keen to find out what Red Earth brings to the beer party (& i wasn't in the case swap :( ).

Pleeeeease try to pin point those descriptors! I'm very keen to find out what Red Earth brings to the beer party (& i wasn't in the case swap :( ).
Well. Patients for the coming season I may do better in the Red Earth yeild. It will have to be the next winter case swap you have to judge it yourself.
I wish I had more property to spread the variety growth.

Lethal, I finished my second of your beers tonight. I had half earlier in the week, Monday I think, then back in the fridge to finish up. Jeez it was good after having that time... Mellowed out and the fizz wasn't as intense. A really nice beer and would've been a cracker if it didn't grow a mind of its own! Maybe it's also a mood thing (this is definitely a good Friday/couch beer) but the first wasn't as good.
I had a pecan porter at Bad shepard brewery and if both of these were on tap, I'd be drinking your one

Good shit. I wish I'd opened them both to breathe a bit

Mofox, had your #7 and it has almost a minty aftertaste and smell. Not something I've really tasted before so a bit hard to explain. What is it I'm tasting?

Edit* I had two of yours, the second was less intense. Dunno what was with that first one...

Last edited:
Red Earth is a very interesting hop. Think I'll pull the pin on a rhizome next year. I've had a couple Red Earth beers brewed by others. They all had a certain unidentifiable something that extended the reach of the beer, rather than detracting.

I haven't really had many (maybe none?) Wheat beers since I was 17, doing pub crawls around the European beer cafe. It was about then I decided they tasted like banana milkshakes and suck.
But the haters wheat is really good.. Not too fruity/banana-ee. Great carbonation, one of the best from a bottle I can remember. is that the wheat that does that? I guess I'm gonna have to try more wheat beers again!

Got dans low carb light ale up next. Got a nice surprise opening this.. From the label I didn't know what to expect but this is a great beer. I love dry wines but never had a dry beer like this. Just delicious. Lucky it's a session ale, would be dangerous otherwise. Really tasty and really easy to drink.

After all the raving about the red earth, I was a bit upset to see I had the other one, but this was my favorite of the swap beers so far!

Thanks for the kinds words. I'm not a wheat beer fan myself either but this one is tailored to my tastes. It would have had more banana to it but it's a volatile ester - the longer in the bottle the more subdued it becomes.
Regarding carbonation, wheat has no impact on it. It's all about the amount of priming sugar used when bottling (or if fermentation wasn't complete, but that's a whole other story). I think I used about 200g of dextrose for the 23 litre brew, bulk primed (if you don't know what that is plenty of info out there). The wheat however has an impact on head retention.

Latest posts

Back