QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple that I've had have been a little flat, others not so much. Had one each of both my swap beers last couple days, both have carbed up nicely. A couple other reports still to com e tonight....and predicting some tomorrow as well :overhead:

4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA

Just sensational. This was nicely carbed and held it together well. Was disappointed when finished and there wasn't another to follow up with. All citra. Probably top 5 out of every swap I've been in. Take your pick of any superlatives for this beer. Based on this, am going hunting for a clone.
IMG_0881.JPG

I'm a bit puzzled too Roger. I always bottle condition my swap beers even though I keg. This time around I bottled and kept them at 20C for 3-4 weeks but carbonation is disappointingly lacking.

I always up the carbonation a little if I'm bottling from kegs even if counter-pressure.

A lot of it depends on how much headspace you leave too as the beer needs to off-gas to equalise the pressure.

7) benken25 - applewood rauchbier

This opened with a delicate smoky aroma which morphed into a lovely sweetness of apple juice which took a u-turn back into smoke. Initial ly some carb, which dissipated shortly after. This wasn't really much of an issue for the drinking thereof. Funnily enough, there was a bit of a 'red delicious' apple redness colour as carb faded. Nice drop mate. IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0889.JPG

Anyone that got 12 with an underline, I ran out of my swap beer 2 bottles shy of the required number so you've got quadrupel. Fair warning it's 16%

I always up the carbonation a little if I'm bottling from kegs even if counter-pressure.

A lot of it depends on how much headspace you leave too as the beer needs to off-gas to equalise the pressure.
Don't you go around sprouting this 2nd law of thermodynamics and equilibrium bullshit - I'll have none of it here.

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux)

I'll let previous Zorco description stand. Lovely, pairing nicely with some salt 'n' pepper sqwuid. This is certainly one for the dregs bank. Lovely drop mate.
IMG_0892.JPG

Mine should be ok to drink now. I don't know if the carbonation is going to get any better as it's been bottled for 6 or 7 weeks.

Don't be expecting it to be in the same league as Anthony's lambic. This was my first attempt at a sour so I have much to learn.

Not a bad effort.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1501304810.574341.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1501308732.131158.jpg

Scotty Mack, good beer, lacing well within the mug and holding head. Has nice freshness to the beer provided by the soreness. Generally stay from this style however better than saison

#21 Adr0's XPBIIPA, 7.2%, ~90-100IBU, hazy, extra pale black session IIPA

There's a lot going on. Hops are a bit muddled and I swear I smelt banana in there at one point, but it's ticking the boxes. Malt is decent and clean lasting bitterness.

IMG_6761.JPG

#21 Adr0's XPBIIPA, 7.2%, ~90-100IBU, hazy, extra pale black session IIPA

There's a lot going on. Hops are a bit muddled and I swear I smelt banana in there at one point, but it's ticking the boxes. Malt is decent and clean lasting bitterness.

View attachment 107310
Had this last night I got the same muddledness from the hops was good, from memory as I had a barleywine and a few beers after it

6. Luggy - Rye Pale

Didn't realise it wasn't ready to go. Very well made beer. Nothing complicated about it but perfect on all levels.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1501316684.454881.jpg

My madpierre bottle has no marking other than the number. How do I tell what I've got other than opening it?

Aaaah, righto, will go and check. Some of the labels took a bit of a beating after the exploding bottle incident so wasn't sure if I'd lost something.

Had this last night I got the same muddledness from the hops was good, from memory as I had a barleywine and a few beers after it
2-3 days after the first dry hop it was tasting outstanding - lemon, passionfruit flavour being really forward, and a gentle cedar and spicy bitterness. A week after that it had started to 'balance' a little more, with more cedar - and possibly tea, depending on the person - coming through. So I dry hopped again, but only about 1/4 of the dry hop got exposed to the beer and I'd run out of time by then as I bottled 3 days before the swap.

I think it's got some strong traits - body, bitterness, malt and general finish - but I wonder what we would have ended up with had a bit more of that second (third actually) dry hop come through.

Or I could have just used CTZ/Horizon or more Chinook...

Latest posts

Back