QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the pick up - the beers were getting to me by that point it seems. Though if I were you, I'd be taking credit for it, it's a cracker.

20) Parks - Imperial Manuka Smoked Porter (bottled 21/05/2017)

Rich malt flavours, smokey and a reasonably dry finish, maybe a touch of alcohol warmth. Everything I hate in an Imperial Smoked Porter - NOT!. Great beer

15) Bradsbrew- Barrel aged strong stout de garde

This was delicious. Didnt have much carbonation or hold any head but that didn't matter.

16) Scotty Mack - Belgian Wit

Carbonation fantastic. Lovely light opacity with the golden hue.

Fruity, light esters, though elusive to name.

Rather smooth, with the wave of yeast presence, esters and citrus flavours up front subsiding to the developing bitterness. Bitterness peaks to what seems a vivid moment and immediately settles.

After taste is mellow and nice reminder of the experience's beginning.

Nice mouthfeel and presence of tackiness/sweetness on the lips after.

Lacing superb.

Second taste consistent with the first with bitterness senses subdued. A mellow and enjoyable experience.

Subjective Negatives (if I tried): I felt that the yeast dominance didn't reveal any spices. But fruitiness is elegant

View attachment 107270

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux)

Why, because two glasses foo; wife loves beer and didn't have the best after list - this is happening!

Delightful colour, unique Amber with a hint of bronze yet avoiding any of the reds.

Amazing nose, roses, floral complexity, but definitely spring.

Dark chocolate , coffee, kind of like burnt coffee somewhere in there. Inexperienced pickups on specific details, maybe, but super interesting flavour.

Very light mouthfeel, maybe 6-7% ABV?

Carbonation persistent on the second taste, an elevated sensation of the sourness now leaving me feeling refreshed.

Dare I risk calling this sessionable? Almost, but not quite. An element of a smoke in the residual flavour now I think.

And now I become self aware that I'm on a beer experience that I haven't a basis of comparison to.

Subjective Negatives (If I tried): no frigging idea, don't know enough yet.

Thank you Winkle

View attachment 107271

Last edited:
Ta Zorco, we cracked a test bottle at BABBS last nite and it was a bit over carbed, so I'd be drinking it soonish since the Morpheus yeast will just keep chewing away. It gives a sort of sweet&sour flavour profile - initially sour then drops away. (the Picobrouwerij Alvinne house yeast strain).

11. Fitzlp - Red Rye IPA

This is pretty delicious. A little undercarbed but still enough bubbles to carry it, just no head or lacing. If you said it was an APA I'd believe you. Just doesn't have the big hit of hops or abv that I'm used to for the style. Nice job though.

View attachment 107242
Yeah more of an APA as the dry hopping experiment using the fermentasauras did not go to plan.

Gents, have been away at conference this week so not following the thread. #11 is good to go being bottled conditioned on 1st July. Was to be a RED RYE IPA however suffered a stuck sparge which may have altered the flavour profile and the dry hopping regime not working as expected so more of a APA than IPA.

Updated list. I believe everyone has now confirmed.

Anyone finished all their beers yet?

Attachments

• swap list rev 4.JPG
    swap list rev 4.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 139
5) mosaic saison Psuedo smash.
Well this one threw me off gaurd. I definitely thought pale ale, so i quickly searched for other people's opinion on this beer and agree with the comments already given. Once I got into the head space for a pale ale I was fine.
Appearance looked a bit cloudy, for a pale ale the bitterness was good. I'm very new and couldn't really tell u what I'm tasting. :)

For a pale ale I thought it was a decent beer. The carbonation was lacking a bit for me, but other than that good job.

Not sure how you're doing your attachments Zorco but they seem to be unavailable - something about not having permission. But I really want to see the photos. :question:

Just using the phone App. I clicked the link and it worked.

Will adjust what I'm doing and see

5) mosaic saison Psuedo smash.

Very, very complex beer. Big alcohol, orange/peach flavour, some solid phenolics and moderate-high bitterness.

I would probably like either a bit more malt or a bit less bitterness. I'm leaning toward more malt to balance the alcohol a bit too.

Carbonation is low. I'll hit it with a carb cap shortly but I expect that'll also lift the booze so I might need a nap before the footy [emoji23]

Having said all that it leaves only a warmth and bitterness so should go well with this slab of pork.

86f42b7bb1569acb147024d43dbd4952.jpg

Guys - I'm puzzled. There seems to have been many beers this swap which are reported to be lacking in carbonation. Certainly I've tried quite a few where carbonation is absent, or nearly so, and a disappointing lack of head and lacing.

Is this because many of you keg your beers, then for a swap, where PET bottles are required, you squirt them full of brew and bang on a cap? If so, do you add any fermentable (ie sugar/dex) to provide some in-bottle fermentation?

I'm a bottler, so don't have any knowledge/experience of bottling from kegs.

I'm a bit puzzled too Roger. I always bottle condition my swap beers even though I keg. This time around I bottled and kept them at 20C for 3-4 weeks but carbonation is disappointingly lacking.

Latest posts

Back