QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11) Fitzlp:- Red Rye IPA

Delicious. Got the rye coming through, good body and this tingly 'beernut skin' flavour as it tails off. Lovely drop , very balanced.

IMG_0880.JPG

9 (red) Madpierre Baltic Porter

This is ******* outstanding.

Ticking everything in the bjcp, well balanced, tastes great. Good head retention. Nice marshmallow flavour and mouthfeel to it. The bjcp talks about a vinous, port like aroma and flavour, and I'm definitely getting some, alongside dark fruits and raisins.

I'm really enjoying this.

4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA

Nice colour, good carb level. No clarity but I don't trust beers you can see through so that suits me just fine.

Low hop aroma in the glass. Decent hop flavour but felt a bit thin? (Not sure how else to describe it). Not getting the citra, just generic hop. What was the dosage?

Not a bad beer, I understand you said it was a clone. Just feels... Unfinished? Maybe a few tweaks to the recipe are required?

I had this last night and was getting the same thinness and wanted more hop pop but I was under the mistaken assumption that zombie dust was an IPA. I did get the citra and once I got my head in the pale ale space it was a good drop.

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale
IMG_20170725_194745.jpg

A sour beer needs the appropriate glass

No head retention but the carbonation seems to be there. Not as sour as I thought it would be, very approachable.

Hi all,

If my IPA's (21 - IPA) have been kept above 15°C and/or tipped up once or twice they'd definitely be good to go from now. Given the amount of hops I don't want people to be drinking much past mid August so if people start to get into them now they should be ok.

Give them a little while in the fridge to make sure the CO2 has reached equilibrium, and feel free to pour in yeast.

Thanks, dosage was 100g in the boil (all late/flame out) and 100g dry hop. I cold crash but don't use any finings and I am not that concerned with clarity for pale ales/IPAs.
Ah - based on a Three Flyods Zombie Dust clone perhaps?

Last edited:
Updated list attached.

I've seen people try both the unknown beers, so could those tasters and the brewers advise if they think it's good to go?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 90
11. Fitzlp - Red Rye IPA

This is pretty delicious. A little undercarbed but still enough bubbles to carry it, just no head or lacing. If you said it was an APA I'd believe you. Just doesn't have the big hit of hops or abv that I'm used to for the style. Nice job though.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1501053247.653655.jpg

21. Adr0 ipa. Pours hazy as fuxk but thats a thing now so your all good there. Having trouble picking the hops but i am guessing its more of a traditional us ipa style hopping from the aroma and taste. The bitterness is maybe a touch too much but ipa isn't a style i drink a lot of. Over 7/10 would drink again

Attachments

• 1501057586703.jpg
    1501057586703.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 115
Edited - fixed the brewer for number 14 - apologies :D

16 Scotty Mack Belgian Wit

Solid wheat beer mate, well done.

14 Aydos Blueberry and black peppercorn Belgian stout

Does exactly what it says on the box. This is a very complex, deep beer. Good flavour combo, and well executed. If it were me I might dial the pepper back just a fraction, otherwise this is a top drop.

Last edited:
21. Adr0 ipa. Pours hazy as fuxk but thats a thing now so your all good there. Having trouble picking the hops but i am guessing its more of a traditional us ipa style hopping from the aroma and taste. The bitterness is maybe a touch too much but ipa isn't a style i drink a lot of. Over 7/10 would drink again
Nice, pic looks good. Yeah I ummed and ah'd over the potential bitterness - probably IIPA territory - but hopefully it wasn't too bad. Challenger (UK) all the way through, plus Chinook, Waimea, Wai-iti.

16 Scotty Mack Belgian Wit

Solid wheat beer mate, well done.

14 Aydos* Blueberry and black peppercorn Belgian stout

Does exactly what it says on the box. This is a very complex, deep beer. Good flavour combo, and well executed. If it were me I might dial the pepper back just a fraction, otherwise this is a top drop.

IMG_20170726_194448.jpg

7) benken25 - applewood rauchbier
It would appear this **** knows smoke. Only issue is the head doesn't stick around for long.

Back