QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4. Nickxd zombie dust apa. Low carbonation. Stonefruit and citrus on the nose creamy mouth feel. Very enjoyable

Thanks mate. Unsure on the low carb - Hopefully it's not all of the bottles.

5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psuedo Smash 7.5%ABV. READY TO DRINK

Had this one the other night. Defiantly a beer which has a lot going on. Between the delicious Mosaic and the Saison Yeast, it hid the alcohol very well. Only downside was it was flat with almost no carbonation. Still a very enjoyable beer, particularly when it warmed up a touch.

5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psuedo Smash 7.5%ABV. READY TO DRINK

Had this one the other night. Defiantly a beer which has a lot going on. Between the delicious Mosaic and the Saison Yeast, it hid the alcohol very well. Only downside was it was flat with almost no carbonation. Still a very enjoyable beer, particularly when it warmed up a touch.

Glad you like it.

You're the second one to mention the carb level though. I might test one of my bottles at home and see what's going on.

I'm sure it's just my transfer method, but out of interest, what brand are other people using? I've seen a few others talk about carb level . Mine were new Morgan's. The lids were different from the ones I bought last year, felt much thinner and cheaper. They didn't feel like the tightened up very well.

14) Aydos - Blueberry and Black Peppercorn Belgian Stout

A little light bodied until it warmed up, then really came into its own. Added extras combo worked together very well, lovely albeit a little off centre drop mate.

IMG_0874.JPG

5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psuedo Smash 7.5%

Really different drop, it was a bit weird trying to get my head around the IPA'ish memories inspried by the mosaic, but then ya had the 'saison' thingy going on. Lovely drop, would throw shekels at this one. Carbonation was fine with this 'un.

IMG_0877.JPG

20) Parks - Imperial Manuka Smoked Porter

This went down a treat on a cold winters night. Not heavily smoked nor dominated by honey. Nice roasty malts, smooth and warming.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500638196.586865.jpg

14) Aydos - Blueberry and Black Peppercorn Belgian Stout

Aroma is mostly cracked pepper, maybe some fruity esters in there. Tastes like carbonated chocolate with a tingle on the tongue. I'm enjoying this a lot

Attachments

• IMG_6636.jpg
    IMG_6636.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 94
Anyone know whats in the bottle?
huh-1.jpg

20) Parks - Imperial Manuka Smoked Porter

This went down a treat on a cold winters night. Not heavily smoked nor dominated by honey. Nice roasty malts, smooth and warming.

View attachment 107158

I also had his last night, really enjoyed it. So did the missus.

Only criticism (and it's a small one) might be the balance between the roasted astringency and the sweetness? Tasted dry considering the FG was 1020, probably hard to discern the sweetness against the black malts and smoked used.

That said, excellent beer, liked the smoke, and I'm a sucker for a porter. So well done.

Siderman: isn't the manuka the wood used to smoke the malt, rather than the honey?

Only criticism (and it's a small one) might be the balance between the roasted astringency and the sweetness? Tasted dry considering the FG was 1020, probably hard to discern the sweetness against the black malts and smoked used.

That said, excellent beer, liked the smoke, and I'm a sucker for a porter. So well done.

Siderman: isn't the manuka the wood used to smoke the malt, rather than the honey?

No idea. Just assumed honey as it had subtle flavours in that taste spectrum

My guess is based on the carbonation it's knocked down a few more points in the bottle.

Glad you enjoyed it still.

16) Scott Mack - Belgian Wit

For some reason thought I had an IPA in the fridge ready to go hence the glass.

Pretty classic in style. Bang on really. Carbonated perfectly with thick lacing. It's got a nice subtle lemon and herbal spice going on as well. Really sessionable.

Can't ask for anymore with this. Finished it very quickly

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500701084.455038.jpg

16) Scott Mack - Belgian Wit

For some reason thought I had an IPA in the fridge ready to go hence the glass.

Pretty classic in style. Bang on really. Carbonated perfectly with thick lacing. It's got a nice subtle lemon and herbal spice going on as well. Really sessionable.

Can't ask for anymore with this. Finished it very quickly

View attachment 107166
That's a gorgeous looking beer. I need to get my ass to Brisneyland to grab my beers.

By the way my IPA still probably needs a bit of carbonation as these freezing cold days have not helped as much as I'd hoped. Certainly not flat but not the effervescence I was aiming for at this stage (after 10 days in the bottle...) I'm sure a couple of tips and somewhere cosy will do the job.

That's a gorgeous looking beer. I need to get my ass to Brisneyland to grab my beers.

By the way my IPA still probably needs a bit of carbonation as these freezing cold days have not helped as much as I'd hoped. Certainly not flat but not the effervescence I was aiming for at this stage (after 10 days in the bottle...) I'm sure a couple of tips and somewhere cosy will do the job.
They're still here waiting for you :)

4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA

Bloody nice beer! Lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass, and a superb lingering after-taste. What were the hops?

And where do I find find Zombies from whom I can extract/vacuum their dust...?

NickXB_2017.jpg

11) Fitzlp:- Red Rye IPA

Dark and smokey but extremely smooth. Mouth feel is definitely creamy and totally enjoyable. Hop profile is developed and full but I can't dissect it. Full carbonation, excellent lacing.

This is a dead set lovely beer

http://imgur.com/DZ74z8u

4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA

Bloody nice beer! Lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass, and a superb lingering after-taste. What were the hops?

And where do I find find Zombies from whom I can extract/vacuum their dust...?

View attachment 107178
Agree with above, hops weren't off the scale but good and the malt backbone supported them very well, nice finish!

Latest posts

Back