Qld Xmas In July 2010 - Consumption & Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasting Brad's English Bitter ATM.

Nice balanced hop bitterness to malt backbone, some slight grassy notes on the mid palette which are nice lead in to the bitterness.....

Don't really know what else to say, except I love it, could really settle in for a session on this one.

Cheers Thomas.

yes it was brewed as a session beer. Cant wait to get the next fermenter full into the kegs.........which reminds me, time to go turn down the fermenting chesty.

Brad

Just filling in the blanks and update
1. .............XXXX Man
2. BribieG - swapping but not attending - UK Best Bitter - Wheat Caramel Malt. - drink right now - bottle conditioned and around 3 weeks old.
3. Ross - Obama IPA - Bottled straight from keg, drink asap.
4. Bradsbrew. - English Bitter...............Bottled from keg put it in the fridge anddrink asap
5. PocketBeers - Vanilla Oatmeal Stout - Ready now (6 weeks in bottles)
6. Browndog - Andromeda IPA, DRINK NOW you bastards.
7. Scruffy - NOT CARBED YET! Give it a week, then fridge it for a bit, It's a 9%ABV, Maris Otter, Simcoe, Amarillo and Cascade (240g) - the 1882 stalled at 1.023, finished with Nottingham...
8. ..........
9. Stillscottish - Strong Stout with Coles specialty addition, matured on Bourbon Oak with a side salad of 250ml Bourbon. Just bottled but best left till end of August
10. Winkle - Dark Regal Saison ~8% (OK to drink now - better after June 30) (It's just a jump to the left....)
12. scoundrel_rogue - Beligian dark - ready to go, but i would give it about 2 weeks.
13. NickB - Old Rifle Range Dark Mild - Ready to drink now, will age OK
14. DKS - Budvar. Drink whenever, been aged six months almost. Recommend a hot as hell day to sample.
15. geoff_tewierik - Dopplebock. As the label says, give it two weeks. More details to come i.e. recipe, need time to dredge them out of AHB.
16. Daemon - Hazelnut Porter. Ready to drink now, it's been bottled for 5 weeks now and should be nice and mellow.
17. Thomas J. - Trapist triple (Chimay White clone) - still swapping, just can't go!*4 weeks from now minimum.
18. Florian - Rye Weizen - Best consumed now, has been bottled 8 days ago but carbed up well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong Caseswap Stout
Foreign Extra Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 25/05/2010
Batch Size: 18.00 L
Brewer: Campbell
Boil Size: 26.27 L
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Campbell's Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.15 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2.20 %
0.45 kg Treacle (100.0 SRM) Extract 6.59 %
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM) Grain 58.57 %
0.60 kg Roasted Barley (Joe White) (710.0 SRM) Grain 8.78 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.32 %
0.33 kg Crystal, Medium (Bairds) (75.0 SRM) Grain 4.83 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 4.39 %
35.00 gm C_Nugget [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 48.7 IBU
30.00 gm Fuggles [4.40 %] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
15.00 gm First Gold [7.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
0.61 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1/2 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.50 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 7.32 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.77 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.59 %
Bitterness: 60.7 IBU Calories: 757 cal/l
Est Color: 63.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 5.88 kg
Sparge Water: 17.16 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 70.8 C 63.0 C

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 102.0 gm Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 15.6 C Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 11.1 C

Notes

Racked to secondary on gelatin 10/6/10
Added 250 gm (dry weight) bourbon soaked barrel chips + 250 ml Bourbon
Created with BeerSmith

No. 6 Browndogs Andromada IPA

Aroma of floral,fruity hops with a slight grassy note. Light malty aroma

Appearance , Light gold with a touch of copper, Bright clear with little head retention but does lace the glass slightly

Flavour , clean sweet malt which is well balanced with hop flavour and bitterness. reasonably dry finish with lingering hop bitterness alcohol flavour present but not overpowering

Mouthfeel medium low body, carbonation is low but persists at same level

Overall Beautiful beer, maltiness seems to be from pilsener type malts as oposed to ale type and hop seems a bit one dimensional but this should not be regarded as a negative. Top beer Tony

Cheers Brad

FWIW I am probably wrong with picking your malt and hops but I am hoping that I have improved on my reading of a scoresheet thanks to your advice at the last babbs.

Galaxy malt and galaxy hops Brad, you did well mate.

cheers

BD

Just started my tasting with:

4. Bradsbrew. - English Bitter...............Bottled from keg put it in the fridge anddrink asap

Am no wordsmith (or BJCP judge), so will keep it short and sweet.

Very nice Brad! Lovely balance (IMHO), bitterness is not too assertive and the malt flavour is subtle but gives enough backbone to the lovely hop flavour that comes through. Would love a recipe if you're willing to share? Reading the BJCP guidelines, I personally could not fault this beer :)

Very drinkable mate, wish I had another bottle. Must persuade you to head over to mine with a few samples next time you're visiting the folks at The Bunyas :)

Cheers

Next up tonight was:

2. BribieG - swapping but not attending - UK Best Bitter - Wheat Caramel Malt. - drink right now - bottle conditioned and around 3 weeks old.

Again, a really nice ESB (would expect nothing less from a Pom, mind you :p).

Balanced, but favouring maltiness slightly. Beautiful flavour, lovely colour and clarity. Correct me if I'm wrong (and god knows, I most often am!) but I detect Challenger in there somewhere? Just that marmaladey flavour and aroma I associate with Fuller's ESB.

Bloody drinkable - in fact, poured the bottle into a jug, and didn't bother putting the jug in the fridge, as it disappeared damn quickly! (like I thought it would!)

Time for another brew day at your place, Michael (or could I perhaps convince you to visit me on a Monday or Tuesday.....always space in the spare room :))

Cheers

(probably) the final beer for the night:

3. Ross - Obama IPA - Bottled straight from keg, drink asap.

Have had this a couple of times. A bloody nice IPA in it's own right, but just has a slight underlying hint of dark malt coming through. Conjures up images of a magical world where the beers flow freely, and the every brewer has a cool room full of American hops... :ph34r:

But on a serious note, absolutely ******* brilliant as always Ross. If this comes in FWK form from the new venture then I'll be grabbing a couple at some point! Not sure it will happen, but myself and about 3000 others would love the recipe if you're willing to share. You can PM me if you like, coz I'm special....ahem....

:p

Cheers

Just drinking Dazas Budvar now....Is Budvar a Bohemian Pilsner?
with Nicks dark mild looking at me saying drink me drink me you *******.............notes to come after dinner

Brad

Next up tonight was:

Again, a really nice ESB (would expect nothing less from a Pom, mind you :p).

Balanced, but favouring maltiness slightly. Beautiful flavour, lovely colour and clarity. Correct me if I'm wrong (and god knows, I most often am!) but I detect Challenger in there somewhere? Just that marmaladey flavour and aroma I associate with Fuller's ESB.

Bloody drinkable - ........................
Cheers

Got the Challenger in one, dood :lol:

This was actually a 'use up the available bits' brew as a quaffer only, but it turned out so drinkable I decided to put it in the swap, especially from the use of Wheat Caramel Malt that a mate had given me, and which has become a bit of an epiphany for me, and wanted to share it around:

4000 BB ale
400 Wheat Caramel Malt
500 da sugaz

60 mins at 67 degrees

30 Northern Brewer US 60 mins
20 Challenger 20 mins

Wyeast Irish Yeast

I'm on a short leash at the moment as I'll be away for days for BABBs related stuff but if the doc clears me (Kidney stones being investigated) I'd love to come up to Nanango for a trip, used to hit the place every fortnight as a Rothmans rep, stayed at the Antler Motel and eat at the Copper Kitchen :icon_drool2:

No. 14 DKS Budvar

Malty with light fruity floral hop aroma
deep gold/copper, bright but yeast in suspension, creamy off white head that lasts the glass
complex malt, very little hop bitterness with an aftertaste of malt and alcohol
medium body with high carbonation
Overall a rich malty beer which is lacking the expected bitterness and probably too high alcohol for style. Definately a complex beer but is dominated by malt. All in all a good beer Daz and would definately have another few .

No. 13 NickB dark Mild

Sweet malt aroma perhaps very slight diacetyl
dark brown with copper/garnet highlight under light,beautiful. low head with little carbonation
Well balanced malt flavour between base and specialty malts,slight smokey/ashy flavour which blends well. Although sweet upfront finishes drylittle in the way of hops.
light body with low carbonation
Overall an easy drinking mild dark ale, flavour is balance and malty. A great dark session beer. Well done Nick

These swap beers are great.

Cheers Brad

5. PocketBeers - Vanilla Oatmeal Stout - Ready now (6 weeks in bottles)

Very dark, little in the way of head, carbonation lowish (about where I like it) vanilla is there, but not overpoweringly so, hops give a nice bitter finish that is well balanced by the malt up front.

This one I like....

No.5 Daemon Hazelnut Porter

Hazelnut dominates but has undertones of fruityness and a light chocolate graininess in the aroma
Dark brown with a slight haze, small creamy persistant head
Hazelnut overtakes at the start but with malt in the finish with a hint of roastyness and chocolate, the malt really shines through as it warms for a better balance of flavours. Dry finish
Thin body when cold but body builds as it warms carbonation suits this beer
Overall a good rather thin hazelnut beer when cold. But it is a beautiful complex malty medium bodied porter as it warms up. The fruityness and malt is a good backbone for the hazelnut.
I would like to try this beer with a bit more bitterness and body but that is more for my tastes.
Absolutely top beer Tim really enjoyed it

Cheers Brad

No.5 Daemon Hazelnut Porter

Hazelnut dominates but has undertones of fruityness and a light chocolate graininess in the aroma
Dark brown with a slight haze, small creamy persistant head
Hazelnut overtakes at the start but with malt in the finish with a hint of roastyness and chocolate, the malt really shines through as it warms for a better balance of flavours. Dry finish
Thin body when cold but body builds as it warms carbonation suits this beer
Overall a good rather thin hazelnut beer when cold. But it is a beautiful complex malty medium bodied porter as it warms up. The fruityness and malt is a good backbone for the hazelnut.
I would like to try this beer with a bit more bitterness and body but that is more for my tastes.
Absolutely top beer Tim really enjoyed it

Cheers Brad

Geez mate, you're ploughing through them :eek: .

I'll leave mine 'til this head-cold clears up - can't even taste wasabi peas ATM (hope it clears up somewhat by tomorrow! Got a Mild to put up at BABBs)

Geez mate, you're ploughing through them :eek: .

Me too and I want some more.
Don't know about you guys but I'm really loving the experience. All the different styles and tastes to have a choice of at hand. Not a bad drop yet.
Would anybody care to go in another swap say September /October?
I realize Batz's is in November so maybe I'm pushing it. Just thought I'd ask and see.
No big shin dig required just a swap of beers.
Daz

I'd be keen for something else in addition to the 'official' swap Daz - Will hopefully have my Vienna Lager ready by then - know you were looking for a vienna heavy recipe, so I'll save a bottle if you're keen?

Cheers

I'd be keen for something else in addition to the 'official' swap Daz - Will hopefully have my Vienna Lager ready by then - know you were looking for a vienna heavy recipe, so I'll save a bottle if you're keen?

Cheers
Absolutely. Good one Nick. There maybe only a handful who will want to play and we could swap mixed styles/varieties. Not a full batch as normal. We'll see response then work it out. Cheers.
Daz

i'd probably be up for it (speshly if it's north of Brissy ;) )

I might be up for that Daz.
Not in the July case swap, but Campbell left his keg here and I sucked on a couple of glasses of his Golden Schlong before it blew (dry) :blink:
I remember it being good on the nite, and even cold ridden as I am, it was damm tasty drop with me sober and it at ambient.

Ed: tried to clarify things

It wernt ma fault, the keg was gagging for it :icon_drunk:
Hrm, dare we ask? :blink:

Thanks for the feedback Brad, your comments line-up with what I was thinking as well. My efficiency was down for some reason (had to add 1/2kg of DME) and I'd forgotten the rolled oats that gives the beautiful mouth-feel I've had in other porters. I only added 12ml of the hazelnut to a 22L batch, although others have added more I wasn't game enough on the first attempt :)

Some quick feedback on some of the bottles I've tried so far:

2. BribieG - UK Best Bitter - Nice session beer with perfect balance. I haven't used Wheat Caramel Malt before but certainly liked it in this brew.

3. Ross - Obama IPA - Wow, this is certainly a flavour packed beer. The darker flavours and the hoppy taste were a good match and not something I thought would be this balanced. The colour was amazing too, a lovely deep ruby colour. So when are you releasing this one in bottles? :)

13. NickB - Old Rifle Range Dark Mild - Had this at the swap as well and enjoyed it. Dark Mild's are one of my favourite styles and this one doesn't disappoint. Thinking about brewing one now!

14. DKS - Budvar - A lovely maltly flavour and a nice amount of bitterness to balance it. My bottle may have been slightly overcarbed but otherwise a perfect beer. I wish there were more Lagers in Australia with this much body and flavour.

Back