Qld Xmas In July 2010 - Consumption & Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good mild Nick. I'm moving back to my previous recipe which was a bit more biscuity than the one on tap at the swap. I'll bring a few bottles along to the bat-cave if I don't see you before.

Thanks Perry!

Next batch I'm going to sub some or all of the carafa for some pale choc, and upping the flakes barley/rolled oats to up the creaminess and body. Will bring some to the cave as well when I brew it :)

2. BribieG - swapping but not attending - UK Best Bitter - Wheat Caramel Malt.

Bribie, I'm starting to think you might know something about brewing bitters.
Pretty looking beer, ticks all the boxes and the caramel wheat adds some interest to an allround good beer. Ta mate, sparked me up a bit today :beer: .

Heads up regarding my Doppelbock, more of an apology really.

We cracked two bottles of it at the BABBs awards night on Saturday and I found it to be too sweet.

Sorry.

I though it was alright mate - not off the scale, I'll crack the swap bottle tonight and check :icon_cheers: . (show day tomorrow ;) )

15. geoff_tewierik - Dopplebock.

Pours a beaut deep red/brown with ruby highlights, smallish off-white head and low level carbonation. Malty aroma with caramel and fruity notes. Definate sweet-malty flavour with hints of chocolate and plums, low level of smooth alcohol evident at the back of the mouth, finishes too sweet as you'd said. It could use a bit more carbonation & seems a bit under attenuated. Base beer seems good, I guess the yeast just has whimped out early. I'm still enjoying it on a wet night though :icon_cheers: .

Edit: works good, off to beddy-byes now.

A couple more reviews. Thanks Brewers.

Daemon

Daemon.jpg

Florian

Florian.jpg

Cheers

Browndog

A rye weizen would be judged as a Roggenbier I'd guess Tony. Whether the beer was a weizen with a bit or Rye or an actual Roggen I don't know but that would be your starting point for judging...

Yes, I considered that Ben, but it was more like a weisen with a bit of rye.

A couple more reviews. Thanks Brewers.

Daemon

View attachment 40049

Florian

View attachment 40050

Cheers

Browndog

Last one I saw was this,

16. Daemon - Hazelnut Porter. Ready to drink now, it's been bottled for 5 weeks now and should be nice and mellow.

(unless somebodys been buggering around with the list - which is unheard of on a QLD Case Swap)

Edit: I see the problem, nobody update the wiki only the thread - sorry BD probably my fault :ph34r:

15. geoff_tewierik - Dopplebock.

Pours a beaut deep red/brown with ruby highlights, smallish off-white head and low level carbonation. Malty aroma with caramel and fruity notes. Definate sweet-malty flavour with hints of chocolate and plums, low level of smooth alcohol evident at the back of the mouth, finishes too sweet as you'd said.
:icon_cheers: .

Pretty much agree with this review, however my bottle was poured into a jug, and held a head right to the bottom of the glass. Carbonation was fine for me, although I'm pretty unfamiliar with this style.

Very nice though, especially on a cold evening like tonight after a hard day in the garden :)

Cheers

Thanks Tony for the kind words in your review, am glad you enjoyed it.

I had one of them again yesterday and have to say that it tastes better than about a month ago, contrary to the 'drink fresh policy' for Hefeweizen. I also do prefer to drink it as a Kristallweizen, so I pour it as I would a lager or ale and try not to rouse the yeast.

It contains 15% Rye, so I probably would class it as a Hefeweizen with added rye, rather than a Roggenbier.

Florian

Thanks Tony for the kind words in your review, am glad you enjoyed it.

I had one of them again yesterday and have to say that it tastes better than about a month ago, contrary to the 'drink fresh policy' for Hefeweizen. I also do prefer to drink it as a Kristallweizen, so I pour it as I would a lager or ale and try not to rouse the yeast.

It contains 15% Rye, so I probably would class it as a Hefeweizen with added rye, rather than a Roggenbier.

Florian

Excellent, it is as I thought then.

cheers

Browndog

i want the recipe for the rye weizen, i liked it that much, reveiw to come when my net connection isn't having pms.

Another couple of reviews

Geoff's doppelbock

geoff.jpg

and Perry's Saison, not being familiar with this style made it interesting.

winkle.jpg

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the comments Tony. :icon_cheers:
I stated this would have been best at the end of last month and that would have been correct if it was kegged, sadly I'd neglected to think of the drying effect of the bottle conditioning and it'd really hit its prime just after the swap before the yeast gobbled up most of the flavour imparted by the Rye Chocolate Malt, which was interesting combined with tart/sourness of the saison yeast. The pepper note(s) was grain-of-paradise, I'll do another batch with a few tweaks for a Xmas ale (keg this time).

Thanks for taking the time to write mine up Tony.

Will be interesting to see your review of the next one I'm doing for the Christmas Case swap.

Thanks for taking the time to write mine up Tony.

Will be interesting to see your review of the next one I'm doing for the Christmas Case swap.

Looking forward to it Geoff!

Not on your own there Perry ;)

Apparently I have some spare time this weekend, so out will come the Wit and in will go the Doppel, should give more then enough time for it to get down to below 1.020 before the event ;)

Latest posts

Back