Qld Xmas In July 2010 - Consumption & Tasting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 17. Thomas J. Chimay Cinq Cents (White)

Appearence
Deep golden colour, slight haze, lacking effervesence, no head

Aroma
Spicy phenols, little malt but present, no alcohol detected.

Flavour
Low level phenols balanced with gentle spice, lacking citrus qualities, yeast charecteristics dominate hop flavours, aftertaste of low bitterness. Alcohol is still low

Mouthfeel
Medium body, lacks carbonation.

Overall

Malt is one dimensional could do with an addition of malts such as Spec B and aromatic types. The orange/citrus qualities shine as it warms which works well with the spicy phenols. Could benefit with more bitterness. This beer has been let down by the lack of carbonation and head which has held back some of the flavour qualities.

Cheers Brad

Thomas J chimay
Had this last night and thought it was excellent.
Served cool but not cold.
Appearance -Clean , dark gold to bright copper. Low carb. No head.
Aroma - A well balanced malt richness. Hop bitterness is slight and in back ground
Hop flavour low allowing yeast flavours to show
Mouthfeel- A little alcohol there balanced with malt and yeast.Nice.
Undercarb detracting from mouth feel. Probably drank to early. Wait at least two weeks to a month for best.
A little alcohol comes late and lingers in aftertaste.
Overall - Very nicely balanced beer for my tastes disregarding carb issues. Maybe a little under hopped for some but I cant fault it.
I loved it.
Well done Thomas. I'd like to have a go at making that.
Daz

A couple more,

rogue.jpg

scruffy.jpg

Thanks Guys

Just got onto Stillscottish Treacle Juice strong stout matured on bourbon oak

dead_drunk.jpeg

Top drop, and I thought I made headbangers. :)

Edit: then onto Daemon's Doppelbock.

Man that's smoother than Tidal Pete's head :icon_drunk:

Number mix up?

Edit: yes that was Geoff's - Deamon's is the vanilla porter.
Well deserved win with that one Geoff
No mix up your just pissed. Are you hangin out with fasty :lol: Pretty sure Geoff didnt enter that beer either, he thought it was too sweet

No. 14 DKS Budvar

Cracked Daz's one first up.
Poured a darkish amber with a big meringue head, high level of carbonation. Malty nose, but the flavour profile was interesting - honeyed malt with hints of pepper. Dry bitter finish, perhaps a touch full bodied for a Bo Pils but it went down well watching the Broncos lose :( .
Hopefully my flavour description wasn't too affected by the last of this cold.
A good start to the case.

Three months on and I got to Dazz brew:

daz_bud__Medium_.jpg

Smooth, clean, malty. Well done Dazza - although Budvar it ain't, it has little hop nose but a mellow back-bitterness and would make a bloody good dunkel - must be good water at Kilcoy, did you use rainwater? I'd buy a bottle of this at Dans. Shows what a bit of age can do.

Three months on and I got to Dazz brew:

View attachment 42003

Smooth, clean, malty. Well done Dazza - although Budvar it ain't, it has little hop nose but a mellow back-bitterness and would make a bloody good dunkel - must be good water at Kilcoy, did you use rainwater? I'd buy a bottle of this at Dans. Shows what a bit of age can do.
Thanks Bribie, (I think :unsure: )
So she would be six or seven months old now, amazing self control Bribie.
I was going to use rainwater but went for filtered Brissie water , style is supposed to use soft water yeh?
As for nose , well a point I've been looking into ie; lagering times and loosing the aroma. Its a fine balance when it comes to hops in lagers, early drinking will be too strong leave it too long and its fading.
Still I reckon this was a nice beer given its technical faults. :icon_cheers:
Daz
Oh! Revised version was taken to far the other way and while a nice beer next time will be a balance between the two.

Nah I put in the sweet one, just gave you lot a heads up that it would be sweet.

But, I found after a couple of months it mellowed out beautifully.

Only have one bottle left :(

No mix up your just pissed. Are you hangin out with fasty :lol: Pretty sure Geoff didnt enter that beer either, he thought it was too sweet

Latest posts

Back