(SE?) QLD Xmas in July Case Swap 15 July 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what happened there?

Not sure. Guessing just a fault in the bottle and dumping the box a bit roughly into the back of the ute when leaving the swap. Usually takes a lot for that type of response from a PET bottle. At the supermarket where I worked in my uni days we used to stack the extra stock on top of the shelves. I've seen 2L PET bottles of soft drink fall from 10 foot and just bounce back nearly as high with no damage.

Not sure. Guessing just a fault in the bottle and dumping the box a bit roughly into the back of the ute when leaving the swap. Usually takes a lot for that type of response from a PET bottle. At the supermarket where I worked in my uni days we used to stack the extra stock on top of the shelves. I've seen 2L PET bottles of soft drink fall from 10 foot and just bounce back nearly as high with no damage.

Yeah, the structural engineer in me says that's a very weird type of failure for that type of material. Should well and truly be stretchy before it shatters.

Too much headspace in the bottle and overcarbed?

The BigW bottles are really shit quality these days so possibly related?

Yeah, the structural engineer in me says that's a very weird type of failure for that type of material. Should well and truly be stretchy before it shatters.

Not necessarily, the base of these PET bottles is more brittle due to the moulding process. An impact in the right spot to an overcarbonated bottle could do this easily.
Thinking aloud here, given that the bottle was packed snug in a box with others, this could have restricted amount of possible strain in the sides of the bottle.

Not necessarily, the base of these PET bottles is more brittle due to the moulding process. An impact in the right spot to an overcarbonated bottle could do this easily.
Thinking aloud here, given that the bottle was packed snug in a box with others, this could have restricted amount of possible strain in the sides of the bottle.

Hommus, brewing, music, PET moulding, is there anything this bloke can't do?

I went hunting for those Mankini photos too, couldn't find anything. Very disappointed. I hope to see some Brewdito branded versions in December.

A belated thanks to all those who put in to helping make a good night happen - a few who spring to mind are Gordon, Parks, NickB, Jason, Swap Master Parks, Liam (effing hot sauce prick) Mark for dragging Kegs along & all those who brought food - and not forgetting Anna for doing all the behind the scenes stuff. I'm sure I've missed a few as well. In 12 months the Bowls club should have forgotten everything.

The BigW bottles are really shit quality these days so possibly related?

I'm thinking of weeding out any non-Coopers bottles. I usually bottle in glass, but for the swaps I've bought 4 cartons of Coopers PETs. If I can identify the ring-ins, I'll discard them. Hang the expense.

On another note, talking of crap bottles - a few years ago we were bottling our 1 litre evoo (extra virgin olive oil) in glass bottles, bought from a well known packaging supplier in Brisbane. That sized bottle was square, but with well rounded corners, and a lovely looking bottle. Well, we had two instances where the filled bottles were delivered to end users (friends, luckily) where the bottles soon after just exploded!

I got hold of one of the fragments from a "corner", and was astounded to measure the thickness of glass on one side at less than 0.9mm, while just around the corner, it was greater than 3mm! Obviously a faulty blow injection whatzit, but the end result was we could no longer afford to use them. So we changed our one litre packaging to tin cans.

However - I approached the supplier with the evidence, and was somewhat stunned at the response. Saying I must have over-filled them (I didn't), or mis-handled them (they weren't), or subjected to out-of-normal temperatures/pressures/cosmic rays, etc, (which as far as I know they weren't), he then wheeled out a trolley-load of documentation from the manufacturer quoting approvals, standards, world's-best-practice, stringent quality control, government checks, blah blah blah, trying to convince me that what had happened, couldn't!

So in summary - shit happens! And I'm guessing that PET bottles are blow-moulded?

Picture of fragment:
one litre bottle fragment.jpg

You can occassionally see a light discolouration on the base of PET bottles where it has started to delaminate on cheap/previously overcarbed bottles. Chuck these out, they'll fail and its pretty easy to spot.

I'm thinking of weeding out any non-Coopers bottles. I usually bottle in glass, but for the swaps I've bought 4 cartons of Coopers PETs. If I can identify the ring-ins, I'll discard them. Hang the expense.

On another note, talking of crap bottles - a few years ago we were bottling our 1 litre evoo (extra virgin olive oil) in glass bottles, bought from a well known packaging supplier in Brisbane. That sized bottle was square, but with well rounded corners, and a lovely looking bottle. Well, we had two instances where the filled bottles were delivered to end users (friends, luckily) where the bottles soon after just exploded!

I got hold of one of the fragments from a "corner", and was astounded to measure the thickness of glass on one side at less than 0.9mm, while just around the corner, it was greater than 3mm! Obviously a faulty blow injection whatzit, but the end result was we could no longer afford to use them. So we changed our one litre packaging to tin cans.

However - I approached the supplier with the evidence, and was somewhat stunned at the response. Saying I must have over-filled them (I didn't), or mis-handled them (they weren't), or subjected to out-of-normal temperatures/pressures/cosmic rays, etc, (which as far as I know they weren't), he then wheeled out a trolley-load of documentation from the manufacturer quoting approvals, standards, world's-best-practice, stringent quality control, government checks, blah blah blah, trying to convince me that what had happened, couldn't!

So in summary - shit happens! And I'm guessing that PET bottles are blow-moulded?

Picture of fragment:
View attachment 107095

Not sure how glass is usually manufactured. If you can imagine sheet metal being pressed to form a shape, you can imagine the straight bits would be fatter then the curved bits. Not sure if there's a bottle manufacturing technique that is similar?

That said though, your bottles should not have had that issue. The club had a recent issue when bottling the barley wine with brand new bottles too, I believe the shop is sending them back to the rep.

Hannah.jpg

Looks like you guys had a good one, sorry I could not make it. We did have our new granddaughter over from Perth for a few days, so there was no way I going to miss time with her.

Now if anyone is heading up Pomona, Kin Kin way and could bring a very small item from Perry's I would be very appreciative.

Oh and here's my granddaughter...Isn't she a little darling?? Very proud grandpa here. :)

Batz

Last edited:
If that happened in our company I would make a lot of noise. This sort of thing peeves me off. Obviously not to spec. Offering a replacement or credit or schwag or something is a lot cheaper than losing a customer and bad rep.

Well done - vote with your wallet.

I wouldn't say she wasn't to spec. Granddaughters vary a lot and this one is cute. Very cute.

With little kids it is perfectly normal to want a replacement from time to time and cheaper is not better. Stick with it yochris77.

The real issue is peevesing the bed.(plastic based underblanket plus sodium Perc )

Evening guys, apologies for lack of response from myself. App hasn't worked on my iPhone for sometime and never seem to have time to login into website. Been flat out building my deck and had a couple of family issues so totally forgot about this event. Apologies if I have inconvenienced anyone, hopefully I can be involved in the next event.

Latest posts

Back