SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ I ended up doing the same, really nice beer mate. I felt like there might have been hints of pepper in there, is that a common taste note for that yeast variety? I've never had it before

Had a couple more of the case swap beers over the last week

Yee IPA:
Yee IPA.jpg
Had this one a few nights before. Looks awesome, great fluffy persistent head. Smells of strong wood, blackberry, some heavier alcohols and some really light citrus.
Taste is light on the malt and has a coarse, woody bitterness. Carbonation is good, but the after-taste is harsh wood and a little blackberry. Reminds me a bit of a Pacific Gem IPA I did about 10 years ago. Bit more malt would be good but also toning down the hop you have used and throwing a couple of others in as overall it's just a bit harsh sorry. :(

Had a very disappointing commercial lager last night, so was in the mood for something a little more stout:
RIS.jpg
My wife liked it, said "That's the best flavour of all of them. Wow! Outstanding". Not a good wife, she was meant to call mine the best, but anyway...
Smell is nice, of light citrus, very faint wood and a nice mix of alcohol/rumminess.
Taste... jesus. Actually bright and roasty on the front, then bursting with prunes, malty body in the middle and dripping with dark fruits, toffee, chocolate, bitterness and a beautiful complex cocktail of rummy fruits to finish. In-flipping-credible. There is a bit of citrus in the 'early' finish as well, which gives you an idea of just how much depth this son-bitch has. Incredible, really blown away. And very drinkable... for 10.5%
If you hadn't guessed, this is Martin's RIS. Top marks, really really impressive.

Just thought I'd mention that I spun up the last third of Fattox's beer on the stirplate in 500ml of wort :ph34r:
Lots of yeasties already, so I added another 500ml wort today.
I'll crash chill and harvest that lot to try out some sort of Franconian Swartzbeer at a later stage :D

Will be hunting for recipes sometime soon, thanks for the heads up on the yeast mate :kooi:

Drinking fattox imperial dark lager now. Was saving it but needed a pet to clean the beer lines and that's all I could find! Incredible beer really. Has the smell of an imperial stout but it's super smooth. Plenty of malt but being a lager I suppose, it's very easy to drink.

Had the last couple over the last week. Sad I'm not in on the Xmas case swap but maybe next Xmas (July):

Perry's Bier de Noel:

Smooth creamy head, really really dark cloudy brown. Clove, chocolate, some fruit and spice on the nose, and tastes of spice with a nice bitter, dry, funky flavour and some pine/citrus from the hops. Smooth chocolate comes through more as it warms up with a great but subtle tang/bitterness. Great beer.

Fattox's Imperial Dark Lager:

Looks great, dark and nice thick tight head. Smells of chocolate, candy and pine/grapefruit hops. Taste was a bit full. It could have been a bit much body or could have been diacetyl, but don't think it was underattenuated. There were notes of fruit, chocolate and alcohols to go with the pine/grapefruit of the hops which was bitter at times, but I think the body/sweetness/diacetyl was too much for me. Could be wrong on the diacetyl but IMO took away from the beer a bit.

HBHB said:
Had a rummage around the back of the bar fridge and came up with #4 Mad Pierre

Stunning coffee big arse stout. Well done.
Bloody envious, would have/should have held onto at least one to let age. Got another batch in the FV right now, going to make sure it gets at least 5 months or so....will be bringing half a dozen to winter swap as well, I'm hoping.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

Soooooooooooooooooooo

I still have a number 1, 3, 19 and 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah I am on a semi self semi wife imposed mid week beer ban.

Latest posts

Back