SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
winkle said:
I'll give you a yell when I put down a gose on Thurs/Fri next week if you want to see that. I'd advise burping the bottle first, then dispensing it into a jug - (its just the way this yeast seems to work in concert with 3711). No extra equipment needed, just have to work with the yeast(s) and (hopefully) know what they are going to do.
I had this last night. Fantastic beer. I have to say it looked like a glass of Brisbane Rivers finest but the taste was extraordinary. Im curious, when did you actually make this beer? Good to taste something new and left of field.

1/6/2015 after a 10 day ferment.

#8 Harrys' Mocha Stout
Good beer Harry, couldn't believe it is 7%, smooth coffee flavour , low carbonation, super easy to drink.

winkle said:
I'll give you a yell when I put down a gose on Thurs/Fri next week if you want to see that. I'd advise burping the bottle first, then dispensing it into a jug - (its just the way this yeast seems to work in concert with 3711). No extra equipment needed, just have to work with the yeast(s) and (hopefully) know what they are going to do.
Lol...it's been that long since I had to decant I forgot about it as an option. I do have thursday available this week, am working Friday so if you go with thursday would love to come down mate. Let me know. Thanks for the inbfo, when I can I'm going to have a burl at one of these.

17. Brewkid's Oatmeal Stout.

Had this among a "few" others last night when the youngest payed a surprise visit for Fathers Day.

Straight up, it poured with very low carbonation. Slight head that didn't linger much. Really nice coffee aroma and a little chocolate. Very pleasant. A tad thinner than I expected, but overall a very enjoyable and totally sessionable stout.

3. HBHB - Mad Russian Imperial Stout

What a serious beer!!! An hour and forty minutes sitting on this beauty. Nowt more can be said!!!

madpierre06 said:
Lol...it's been that long since I had to decant I forgot about it as an option. I do have thursday available this week, am working Friday so if you go with thursday would love to come down mate. Let me know. Thanks for the inbfo, when I can I'm going to have a burl at one of these.
Meh, it'll probably be Friday since I've got to get gas, grain and probably beer from work on Thurs. Might have Matins RIS after work tonight...

winkle said:
Meh, it'll probably be Friday since I've got to get gas, grain and probably beer from work on Thurs.
All good mate, we'll sync it on of these days....

madpierre06 said:
All good mate, we'll sync it on of these days....
Cool, and we must have a few beers at Too Zero (or whatever its called) soon as well, I'll brew a batch of Saison using 3031 then rebrew the BdN with a slurry from it or the original combo - so probably 3 weeks - Thursdays are best for you?

winkle said:
Cool, and we must have a few beers at Too Zero (or whatever its called) soon as well, I'll brew a batch of Saison using 3031 then rebrew the BdN with a slurry from it or the original combo - so probably 3 weeks - Thursdays are best for you?
Yeah, thursdays are best at the moment. Damn, that's a lineup and a half of beers in your signature. I'd be lucky to brew that much in three years.

9. Meno - Kiwi Bright Ale Give it one week
I gave it one week. And then quite a few more. Don't worry it's been in the fridge for the last month.
Pours clear with slight hop haze fluffy white head. Aroma faint zesty-lemon, tastes of clean malt and hop presence similar to the aroma maybe some melon.. or I could just be imagining things. Low bitterness just enough to balance the beer, head retention & lacing down the glass.
Well made smashable beer Luke good stuff, exactly what I needed after a tiring week! ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1441957957.853462.jpg

Mad Pierre, this beer is damm good. Helps that the Broncos won while drinking it, Next is Martins RIS report to be done tomorrow (afternoon probably)...

winkle said:
Mad Pierre, this beer is damm good. Helps that the Broncos won while drinking it, Next is Martins RIS report to be done tomorrow (afternoon probably)...
Thanks Perry...which one did you have, underlined or normal 4?

Underlined Pierre.
Matins RIS, big, bold and beautiful - really good head retention. Well intergrated flavours, chocolate, light toast, chewy malt and a hint of honey. Responsible for me missing half of the football game I was watching.

winkle said:
Underlined Pierre.
Matins RIS, big, bold and beautiful - really good head retention. Well intergrated flavours, chocolate, light toast, chewy malt and a hint of honey. Responsible for me missing half of the football game I was watching.
Yeah, was gonna warn ya about Martin's [emoji1] Mine was the cold steeped one which was my favourite of the split batch. It had more body, to me.

So I had both of the number 4's yesterday side by side. The underlined beer was big on coffee flavour and quite frankly, delicious! The standard number four was much more restrained and I probably didn't appreciate it as much given the comparison. Both very good beers. Can you remind me which one was which again?

Cheers Craig, the underlined was the one with addition of cold steeped just prior to bottling.

It particularly hit the spot late yesterday afternoon as I was fading after a 3 day bender. As a lover of coffee and beer, it's certainly the best I've ever had.

19. (26/12) Fattox - imperial dark lager

I didn't want to wait until December. Rich malty & smooth, bloody good gear Matt.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1442737305.379905.jpg

Back