SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having Beersuit's Gladfields Blonde.

Pours great, great golden colour, very clear and compact head. Carbonation is a touch low but that's fine.

Smells... bit of cooked corn. There is clove/spice behind there but when cold it's subtle. Taste, there is a lot of cooked corn again in the flavour unfortunately. There is cereal there which is good, but not really a sweet cereal more of a cooked corny cereal. There is spicy clove and fruit there - apricot and citrus - which is nice. Bitterness and finish is a little bitey... think the DMS doesn't help.

What was your boiloff percentage, and how long did you boil? Pils malt is notorious for it and Gladfields may be the same or worse than the other maltsters. Either way, you have to boil the crap out of pilsner malt.

Sorry to hear that. It was a 90 minute boil in a 20l braumiester I know the boil off on it is notoriously low but have never detected it in any beers.

Has anyone else noticed any DMS in my beer?

I'm just a little concerned that their Pilsner malts might not be as fully modified as they make out to be.

I didn't notice any really. The flavours I got were pretty well spice and a hint of citrus. Couldn't pick any corn

Angus' raisin porter.

It's probably because it's cold but I don't get a ton of raisin - that's a good thing though. The balance is good at what I'm tasting, enjoyable. Very good porter base with just a touch of the raisin. Pours well, keeps a good head, colour is lovely.

Cheers Angus. Being a relatively new malting company it would be nice to get as much feedback both good and bad.

#3 Martin Potter's mad Russian imperial stout
(bourbon barrel aged)
I have no words.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1440677744.706360.jpg

Got a couple late'ish reviews, they might be a tad compromised due to consuming half a bottle of my Coffee RIS, a glass of a trippel dunkel, and the equivalent of about 4 nips of single malt whiskey, a couple of which were sitting on 60%, prior to having these.

(18/07) Lukiferj - Dark Rye Saison - bottled 27 June so will need a few weeks at least

Really enjoyed thia one, I like my saisons although this wasn't as sessionable as some, one or two bottles would be lovely to sit down and sup on though. Maybe the 'dark' and/or the 'rye' contributed to this. A beer I'd happily pay a quid or three for.

(25/07) Ballantyne - Yee Ipa 6.9% - bottled 1/7/15 - needs at least 3 weeks

Sorry mate, yours was first cab off the rank after the previously mentioned drinkies (you can blame Ciderman for dropping over), but I recall a beer that was most enjoyable. That's all I recall :lol:

Aydos' and Rokaxe's drops on the agenda this evening.

22. Aydos' Dark Rye IPA

Loved it. If I buy beers I try and do mixed bags, and this would be on permanent rotation. A beautiful golden brown in the glass with the light behind it, really enjoyed the hoppiness of this. Sinuses were a bit blocky last night, but I think I detected some citrus(y) armoa? A fantastic dark tan head that stayed all the way to completion.

I've come to understand that my senses are more in tune to flavours/notes etc in the heavier beer styles rather than the lightert ones, so I can't give much more with this one.

On the horns of a dilemma. Bear in mind I have a slightly crazy habit of leaving what I perceive to be a favourite taste until last, then having trouble bringing myself to drink/eat/use it as I'll have none left (I put it down to my Aspergers). I've got Luggy's Irish Ale, Perry's Biere etc, HBHB's RIS, and fattox's dark imperial lager which is down as being drinkable on 26/12 and I wish to hang on to Perry and HBHB's brews to finish off my swap beers. My question is, does the imperial lager need that long to be at it's best, it's not a style I've heard of.

I was talking to Fattox the other day about it and he said he cracked one and it was still fairly boozy. I would hold on to it for a while .

Yeah I had one of my leftovers. It's got some booze but it's not what I expected. Still a nice beer but the alcohol could benefit from another few weeks or so. Some of the guys on Facebook beer thread may have tried it yet though, I enjoyed it

Aydos dark rye IPA - nice hop aroma, not overpowering. Pours well, some head but it doesn't hang about. Colour is lovely, deep black. Tastes good - exactly what I'd expect a dark rye IPA to taste like. Hoppy with some dark malt background, I do get the rye (which is great, I love rye in beers). Solid effort, very enjoyable

Just had Luggy's Irish and thoroughly enjoyed it followed by Liam's Big Ol Porter which has me searching back through recipes for a porter for Autumn. Well done to both.

I might do a re-brew of my first swap beer, a dunkel weizen, for summer swap. Am going to brew it a few times over the next few months to sort out the recipe.

I'm thinking a tripel for next winter swap. I used a pet bottle in my last batch just bottled 1 week ago so will see how it ages in the plastic.

Not sure what I'll knock out for the xmas swap, need to get my brewing skates back on. Maybe something bretty

Latest posts

Back