SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#4 madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout underlined 4

Aroma is all coffee for me but the taste is pleasing mix of strong coffee and nice choc undertones.

It went toe to toe with a fairly spicy tandoori chicken and was a great match.

Carbonation was bang on and lifted the coffee and choc tastes.

Solid beer. I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy the coffee flavoured beers so much. Nice job people.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439202810.436376.jpg

angus_grant said:
#4 madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout underlined 4

Aroma is all coffee for me but the taste is pleasing mix of strong coffee and nice choc undertones.

It went toe to toe with a fairly spicy tandoori chicken and was a great match.

Carbonation was bang on and lifted the coffee and choc tastes.

Solid beer. I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy the coffee flavoured beers so much. Nice job people.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439202810.436376.jpg
Thanks mate, I had been a tad concerned that the coffee might be a little overwhelming for others. Am considering redoing this beer but with a little ***** in it :D , going to do a sample tryout in a couple weeks and get an idea how it might turn out.

angus_grant said:
Dont adjust the coffee levels based on my review. I don't drink coffee. Ha ha
:D Yeah, at the moment I'm not planning on reducing the coffee levels, but I am planning to try the same beer with another addition. I'm going to try that out in a couple weeks when the dry is over. Going to bank your idea of this beer with a nice curry too....love spicy!!!

7. (01/08) luggy- Irish Ale, 6.2%, Be at its best from early august.

Red/Amber pour, head settled to a layer and followed all the way. Pleasant malty slightly eatery aroma, sweet malt going down the gullet. Dangerously easy drinking. Surprisingly full malt profile given how little spec malt you used.
A+ would scull again.

#14 rokaxe - IRA

Aromas are fairly hoppy but I can't pick out the dominant aroma. There is something there but I reckon my sense of smell is screwed though.

Delightful chestnut red colour when held up to the light. Wish I drank this during the day to see it in all its glory.

Carbonation is pretty damn good. Nice creamy head which seems to be lasting. Reckon there will be good level of lacing on my glass.

Nice malty flavours in mid taste and the after-taste is really interesting. Get creamy sweet flavours and then a whack of bitterness and then some more creaminess.

Certainly way better than the red ale I made which was my first all grain all those 2 years ago.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439367305.545787.jpg

21. (READY) Radshoes - Vanilla Mocha Porter <font color="Red">RED 21 IS PORTER <font color="Green">GREEN 21 IS AN APA Both ready for consumption now.

Well there's no '21' written on the bottle but there is a slight green smudge on the cap..

Deep amber pour, dense head, hoppy as ****, big caramel malt profile, not too bitter (misso agreed), bukkakke lacing down the glass. Good job Bryan, you silly boy.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439372463.839579.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439372488.355402.jpg

11. (18/07) Angus - raisin porter

Fluffy head, pours black. Roasty aroma, big roast/choc flavour, slight sweetness, roast bitterness. Head retention like a dunkelweizen. Great beer. Would prob call it an export stout or something.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439376240.448154.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439376276.698995.jpg

8. hwall95 - Mocha Stout, 7%

Poured pretty much flat, so I got my pocket beer engine (small syringe) and gave it the smooth pour treatment which brought it to life with a nice thick head.
Subtle aroma of roasted malt, smooth on the way in, some malt sweetness, not thick but not thin either. Tasting like a nice smooth oatmeal stout, dangerously drinkable for the ABV. Head settled to a 3mm layer and lasted all the way down, nice.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439548682.423502.jpg

14. Rokaxe - IRA 6.8%, 97 IBU

Roxaxe_IRA.jpg

Hwall95 came around to help me drink this one yesterday. I'll admit that I was a little intimidated by the promise of 97 IBUs but it surprised me with its drinkibility. Notes are from memory and thus a bit brief...

It poured with a nice smooth head (more evident in Harry's glass then in my own) and wafted rich earth and herb aromas into our nostrils as we took our first sips. The colour looks like more of a dark amber, almost brown rather than red but the clarity of the beer is still evident through the evening hues... Nicely carbonated so it tickles the tongue and breaths life into the beer's aroma as you drink it.

The bitterness was very present but no-where near as overpowering as I thought it would be as it was offset by a full bodied rich amber malt sweetness. There is a hint of an acrid taste at the end that I always associate with roasted barley but it complements rather than detracts from the flavor as it accentuates that hoppy hit at the end of the swallow. The flavor is malt driven not hop driven (as would be expected) but the hops are still very much present in the background so even a hop head like me can appreciate this fine smooth drink.

A lovely beer, I enjoyed it, sir. Thanks for the drink!

- Meno

4. (05/08) madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout 4 is cold steeped coffee addition,

You win. Hands down. ******* amazing.

Parks said:
4. (05/08) madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout 4 is cold steeped coffee addition,

Thanks mate, appreciated.

Parks said:

**** YEAH
Best of the coffee beers in the swap IMO and I've really enjoy all of them

Latest posts

Back