SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angus_grant said:
I've not had many English ipas but if this is the style I may add one to my brewing list.
Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen Tripel Dunkelweizen English IPA

Geez, if all you brewed were trippels and dunkelweizens, you might get the flavour police coming around to make an arrest for purveying too much deliciousness.

Thanks for the feedback on the beer guys, pretty confident the acetaldehyde is an oxidation product from the alcohol during bottling. It had an excellent fermentation and there wasn't a trace in the samples taken around bottling. So I think some bottles may be worse than others. Anyway, always good to get an opportunity to improve the beer and processes.

Angus, English IPA's are pretty under-represented around the place. White Shield is a great one but there are probably 50x the amount of American IPA's on the market. I think that regardless of the style origin, an IPA needs to be really drinkable because that was the intent (or end product) with the originals. Deuchars is another good one, but tastes like crap off a beer engine (if you're ever in Scotland) - much better in the bottle. I'm pretty sure White Shield uses Challenger and Northdown, but Target and Fuggles is a pretty common combination I think you'll find. It's good - spicy, earthy - but needs a bit more IMO and they generally keep the malts a little too simple. Still, great beers.

This one was a FWH with Goldings and Bramling Cross, Challenger all the way through, and finished with Goldings and Bramling Cross. I dry hopped with Challenger, Willamette and Goldings. Malts were MO, Munich II and Victory.

On the drive home from work on Friday, I thought "When I think of the character of hops in a beer, what do I think?" and strangely, I came up with Goldings. I was craving a Spitfire, and was hoping that Luggy's Irish Ale had a chunk of Goldings in there:
Luggy Irish Ale.jpg

Sure enough...

It's actually a lot lighter than this photo, but it's still darkish. Carbonation is good but the head doesn't hang around for long. Smell is pretty subdued, touch of Goldings and crystal comes out (still pretty subtle) when it warmed.

Tastes great. Really smooth, nice beer. Would do really well in a comp for the style. My wife said "A beer like that, in Ireland, they would just grab from underneath the bar" but unfortunately in Gladstone we gotta cool shit, so couldn't quite simulate the experience.

I've never had cold steeped roast barley, and I guess it ends up smooth. I was missing the burnt toffee sweetness a bit though, and was hoping for a touch more Goldings in the flavour and aroma - but not sure that it's to style.

Good job, unfortunately makes me want to brew an Irish Ale but still need to do a few more to get my stocks back up.

Thought I would try Rokaxe's IRA last night.

Twist top... thought that was nice, bit like my twist top Crownies. Thought I would have this one from the bottle. Smells a bit of light citrus, caramel, clove and some faint raisins or something. Or that could have been the snack size pack of sultanas I just ate. Couldn't tell what it looked like because it was still in the bottle, obviously...

Taste had some more citrus, wood, resin, and sweet breadiness. Finish was awesome, with a beautiful bitterness, some licorice and clove in the finish which adds to the wood, resin and dark fruits. Warming alcohol which slips in quietly. Won't make any rude jokes about that. Many packets of awesomeness detected.

Not heavy, excellent body. No cloying sweetness... managed to hit a perfect balance of body, sweetness and bitterness: none really comes forward and you can explore each one if you want. Still, think that next time you should aim for something closer to Fosters Light Ice - now THAT's a beer.

Because I drank this from the bottle I didn't really get any pics. Sorry. I did snap a shot of the Light Ice I had afterwards though, to remind myself of what this beer could have been - better luck next time:
14 - rokaxe imperial red ale.jpg

Beautiful weather for drinking beer (isn't it always?) so I put a few in the fridge. First up:

Lukifer's dark rye saison. #13

Kind of chocolatey with yeast spiciness and a dry finish, which leaves a tart fruitiness in my mouth. I dig it. Hails.

View attachment 82409

18. Beersuit - Gladfields Belgian blonde.
Pours clear day, aroma of orange and clove. Clean malt, medium carbonation. Quite delicious, what's the gladfields story, is this 100% their pale malt or is there more going on?

Had this earlier, forgot to post .__.

24. (READY) Screamadelica - (18 of them are belgian IPA, 6 are choc-raspberry saison)

I was one of the lucky ones who got the saison :-D

Subdued aroma (other than the pork ribs I'm smoking), some malt sweetness, tart dry finish which kind of worked against the choc. A hint of the fruit. Cool idea but maybe too many things going for any individual flavour to stand out
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439097022.245011.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Beautiful weather for drinking beer (isn't it always?) so I put a few in the fridge. First up:
I was holding my 16-week old girl, showing her a few things as I was walking around the back deck, and said "And this is where daddy likes to drink strong golden ales". I'm not sure if that's good parenting or not?

#10 seahuusen Wheat IPA.

Fucken delicious, everything I could want from this style. Great hop flavour!

Adr_0 said:
That's an interesting shot, very intimate. Who took the photo? Hope you were a good shot...
Me, didn't spill too much. The target area is slightly larger than I'm used to

Next up:

10. Seehuusen - American Wheat IPA

Totally agree with Aydos, tropical fruit punch incl pineapple, high carbonation, creamy mouth feel, hop acidity but not bitter, strong foam stability, nailed it mate [emoji108]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1439100315.828909.jpg

Adr_0 said:
I was holding my 16-week old girl, showing her a few things as I was walking around the back deck, and said "And this is where daddy likes to drink strong golden ales". I'm not sure if that's good parenting or not?
The key to good parenting is honesty/openness. You nailed it IMO*

*no kids of my own yet.

Liam_snorkel said:
18. Beersuit - Gladfields Belgian blonde.
Pours clear day, aroma of orange and clove. Clean malt, medium carbonation. Quite delicious, what's the gladfields story, is this 100% their pale malt or is there more going on?
Thanks Liam. It's all gladfields Pils 16ibu and ardennies yeast.

Back