SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday lads yr gr8 m8 rokaxe from the internet here. Give me beer another week to do some science and then she's good to go ayy lmao. Revised date below:

14. (09/08) rokaxe - IRA 6.8%, 97 IBU (ready to drink Aug 2nd 9th, soz)

pfft, orredy drank it. it was good, reminded me of Carlton Cold, but not as tasty

Tasting now - no. 8, I believe mocha porter or something

On the nose - a good bit each of coffee and chocolate with a hint of roast in the background. More toward fresh roasted coffee than the chocolate

As others have said, minimal head. I snapped the and halfway through the review it has gone all but flat, no retention.

Taste - rich roasted coffee, a hint of chocolate. Some dark fruit afterward? Reminiscent of a richly flavoured black coffee, can't quite peg it down but there's something maybe plum?

Overall not a bad drop at all. The carbonation is good for the style and it's quite enjoyable. Definitely something I could put two or three of down easily. I reckon it would be the tits on a hand pump or on stout gas

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438069744.931660.jpg

My one will probably be ok in the first week of August (should still be better at the end tho), burp the bottle before decanting pls.

No. 21 Radshoes vanilla mocha porter - pours dark, some head but it fades quickly. Leaves a thin ring of head. Love it

Smell - a little bit of everything the name suggests. Dark malts, a touch of vanilla, some chocolate, a little coffee.

Taste - roast up front, a bit of vanilla lingering in the back. Gonna let it warm up and see how it goes but I think it's a nice beer. Ticks a lot of boxes.

Overall - would drink again. Solid beer, nice lower carbonation for the style. I think this has a lot of potential for a hand pump/nitro stout

I'm actually pretty shit at describing what I'm getting so with that said..

This is pretty refreshing. Smells good, tastes good, nicely carbed. I just farted.

B+

DSC_0083.jpg

No. 6 - Parks Coffee Stout - pours low carbonation, minimum head. Looks a nice colour

Smell - espresso, roast, a little chocolate. Rich coffee. Love it

Taste - see smell

Overall - a little more carbonation. But overall nice to drink and enjoyable in this **** of a season called winter. 7/10

4. (05/08) madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout

Sorry for jumping the gun on this one ;). The bottle felt firm enough and I was dying to try it.

Pours with a big thick foamy tan head which eventually settled to a 5mm layer, thick lacing.
Aroma is smooth roast coffee and malt and dark chocolate.
Taste as above with some sweetness and the back end and bitter roast. Mouthfeel is full, coats the tongue, nice aftertaste. Would pay good money for this. I've been following your posts on coffee additions and find this pretty inspiring. What's the ABV of this? It's helping me "study" tonight.

2nd photo is the 2nd pour to demonstrate the carbonation. Maybe just over 2vol

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438251881.157685.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438251901.367777.jpg

rokaxe said:

I'm actually pretty shit at describing what I'm getting so with that said..

This is pretty refreshing. Smells good, tastes good, nicely carbed. I just farted.
Pure poetry sir! :super:

15 Ballantyne - Yee Ipa 6.9% - bottled 1/7/15 - needs at least 3 weeks

Good carbonation and colour, pours with a nice persistent head, good lacing.

Very high level of bitterness which IMO unfortunately doesn't have a good malt backbone to support it. To me the bitterness is quite harsh. Opinion may vary as while I like an IPA I'm not the biggest fan of the over the top examples unless they are exceptional.

med_gallery_7015_1307_766289.jpg

Hmm, maybe don't leave the 20's much longer, don't want the hop smell to fade. I really hopes nobody picks up an off bottle, just got a bottle that's a long way short of what it should be.

Liam_snorkel said:
4. (05/08) madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout

Sorry for jumping the gun on this one ;). The bottle felt firm enough and I was dying to try it.

Pours with a big thick foamy tan head which eventually settled to a 5mm layer, thick lacing.
Aroma is smooth roast coffee and malt and dark chocolate.
Taste as above with some sweetness and the back end and bitter roast. Mouthfeel is full, coats the tongue, nice aftertaste. Would pay good money for this. I've been following your posts on coffee additions and find this pretty inspiring. What's the ABV of this? It's helping me "study" tonight.

2nd photo is the 2nd pour to demonstrate the carbonation. Maybe just over 2vol

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438251881.157685.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438251901.367777.jpg
Glad you liked it mate...I worked out I did miss a step in the process too, the mash out @ 77C. I'm not sure about the ABV, using the fella's recipe as he stated, brewmate has it at 6.29% which is below what I understand to be the style's parameters. As an aside, how would youi bring the ABV up, simply factor in extra grain bill? During brewing I had the manifold in the mash tun come loose and I do know fer sure that there was a fair whack to my efficiency there as well as I was dredging to get out what wort that could be used. So let's say 6%. Sorry if you feel let down on that mate :D Might be my fault if your 'studies' aren't as expected.

On the bright side, I'm sweating on getting into it, I did have a 2/3 bottle which I had a week ago on my 'weakening' day, it wasn't as carbed as yours, but still yummy. I have a batch of four bottles for myself (after swap and beer lotto) but am gonna be strong and try to hang on, or else my mind may vell SNAP!!, und my life, vill be lived, for the thrills. Sorry, got carried away. Gonna try and give another couple months before I open 'em.

I was expecting the smoothness, given i used Brazillian beans :lol: , no waxiness either which was a bonus.

Which batch did you get, underlined 4 or regular?

My RIS had 10kg of grain in it to get it to almost 11%. I'm sure you could substitute some dextrose to get the abv up.

Ciderman said:
My RIS had 10kg of grain in it to get it to almost 11%. I'm sure you could substitute some dextrose to get the abv up.
When would you add iot, excuse my ignorance, I would have thought you'd want to draw it from extra grain. This is something I'll have to look into, along with sourcing a port cask as you have, as I'd like a nice full bodied RIS in the cupboard on a regulart basis.

Had a week off the drink and came back into a couple of beauties. The nose was a bit off getting over a cold, but still managed to enjoy them a lot.

16 - benken rice lager
Awesome presentation - bright, clear, nicely measured head
16 - benken rice lager.jpg
The flavour is a nice, sweet malt and the black pepper is pretty forward. The lemongrass is subtle, then comes through in the finish.... and what a finish. Makes you sit there thinking about the last sip and looking forward to the next one.

Awesome effort mate. A unique beer done extremely well. Top marks.

11 - Angus's raisin porter

Well, looks good, awesome meringue head which lasts forever. Awesome job on the carbonation (and making the beer) as you've got no head killers and you've struck a perfect balance of enough carbonation to support the head without giving any bite or effervescence in the mouthfeel. Awesome job.
11 - angus raisin porter.jpg

Flavour is amazing: strong dark chocolate, prunes and soft roast flavours - absolutely no astringency or sourness. Again, amazing job. Seems to be a bit of vanilla or clove in there too. The wife thought it should have been slightly sweeter (more forward with the raisins?) but I think it was perfect.

The mouthfeel was silky (good mashing and good carbonation). Raisin and prunes come through more as it warms up. Hard to pick the hops, there is a touch of resin and wood there and I would guess something American - subdued and the bitterness supports the beer really well.

This is my pick so far - amazing beer.

I had the bottle on the counter, and nearly opened up another one to top up the glass:
wyeast 3638.jpg
Luckily I didn't...

madpierre06 said:
Glad you liked it mate...I worked out I did miss a step in the process too, the mash out @ 77C. I'm not sure about the ABV, using the fella's recipe as he stated, brewmate has it at 6.29% which is below what I understand to be the style's parameters. As an aside, how would youi bring the ABV up, simply factor in extra grain bill? During brewing I had the manifold in the mash tun come loose and I do know fer sure that there was a fair whack to my efficiency there as well as I was dredging to get out what wort that could be used. So let's say 6%. Sorry if you feel let down on that mate :D Might be my fault if your 'studies' aren't as expected.

On the bright side, I'm sweating on getting into it, I did have a 2/3 bottle which I had a week ago on my 'weakening' day, it wasn't as carbed as yours, but still yummy. I have a batch of four bottles for myself (after swap and beer lotto) but am gonna be strong and try to hang on, or else my mind may vell SNAP!!, und my life, vill be lived, for the thrills. Sorry, got carried away. Gonna try and give another couple months before I open 'em.

I was expecting the smoothness, given i used Brazillian beans :lol: , no waxiness either which was a bonus.

Which batch did you get, underlined 4 or regular?
Got the underlined one mate. All good RE the ABV, was starting to feel it after the first glass so was wondering whether it was 10% or something haha.

Liam_snorkel said:
Got the underlined one mate. All good RE the ABV, was starting to feel it after the first glass so was wondering whether it was 10% or something haha.
Ok, so you got the cold steeped version. If you had a alcohol 'feel', maybe brewmate got it wrong or I've mssed something, 6% isn't gonna do much, is it? Although it was a decent glass size. If I eventually knock out a double figure version, you'll be the first to know.

Duh, just noticed the cap in the enlarged picture.

Edit: Just checked, if my efficiency was a little higher than I figured, ABV would have had a better chance. I may have underestimted efficiency (it was a guesstimate, to be honest), I winged a 68% based on no real calculations whatsoever.

madpierre06 said:
When would you add iot, excuse my ignorance, I would have thought you'd want to draw it from extra grain. This is something I'll have to look into, along with sourcing a port cask as you have, as I'd like a nice full bodied RIS in the cupboard on a regulart basis.
You could add it after the boil or towards the middle/end of fermentation. I reckon your better off just upping the grain bill because adding a simple sugar can reduce your FG, where you'd want to extract as much body as you can ending up in the high teens for such a big beer.

I wouldn't bother with the port barrel. Most people leave them empty for years and will struggle to hold a liquid.

I used oak chips as well. You can get all different toast levels and varieties. Next time you have a go I'll give you some of these. You don't need much.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438394187.089506.jpg

Latest posts

Back