SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juicy, hoppy, fragrant. These are words that I'm using to describe this beer. First of the swap beers that isn't a Porter/stout and let me tell you its pretty good ayy lmao.

Not usually huge on wheat beers but this is great. Not getting heaps of wheat, well in my limited wheat beer experience anyway.

4/5 spuds. Bai nao.

DSC_0062~2.jpg

G'day rokaxe here. In comparison to the coffee-esque bevvie I had earlier this one has more coffee. It reminds me of the Brew Cult Milk and Two Sugars only drinkable and not sickly/heinously sweet. I will say this is bordering on just right and too sweet. Kudos to the **** that brewed this because you're getting me hard and gently edging me towards completion without being a huge slut.

18/25 potatoes. Farewell.

DSC_0063~2.jpg

Ahh, back into the fold.

8 - hwall's Mocha Stout:

Looks the goods, but carbonation was really low on mine and I struggled to get any sort of head. Smells of dark chocolate/coffee and a bit of roast - smells awesome, no hops there (which is fine).

Tastes great, body is actually a touch light IMO with dark chocolate, coffee and slight sourness. Enough roast but could go a fair bit more I think. Very drinkable, as I finished half the glass before thinking about writing any sort of comments.

I think drinkability is really important for a beer and this is extremely drinkable. Being a stout, overall I actually think a bit more body, roast and carbonation (just a touch) would benefit this, and a bit more head. It's super-tasty and drinkable and the dark chocolate/coffee flavours work really well.

9 - Meno's Kiwi Bright

9 - bright ale.jpg

Looks great, nice and clear, pale, good head retention - nice job, well made beer by the look of it.

Aroma was fairly subdued but suits a bright ale. Bit of rockmelon/melon and maybe mango in the aroma which is nice.

Taste is great, again more of the tropical fruit and great body - nailed the bright ale IMO.

Overall I think a really good example, I think you can go either way with the aroma but the flavours, body and presentation are all awesome. Good job, a nice beer. :)

Been a bit slack with my reviews, here's my thoughts on what I've had so far

5. liam_snorkel - robust porter:

Mine had almost no carbonation, despite that the underlying beer was nice, I'd like to try it properly carbed

6. Parks - Coffee Stout

First up I'd like to say that I'm not a coffee drinker, for me the coffee in this was a bit strong and overshadowed the other flavours present. I'm a big fan of balance in a beer and for me the coffee in this threw the balance out. It was also undercarbed which could have affected the flavour.

10. Seehuusen - American Wheat IPA

This was nice mate, only criticism I'd have is that it was a bit light bodied, a little more of a malt backbone would have done wonders IMO. Good job though

17. Brewkid - OATMEAL STOUT 4.7% now replacing it, ready to drink now.

Nice beer mate, plenty of malty goodness, nice mouthfeel, good job

21. Radshoes - GREEN 21 IS AN APA

Really enjoyed this mate, nice and hoppy with a solid malt backbone, good job.

23. Earle - Hoppy Hefe DRINK NOW

This was also a well brewed beer, the hops and wheat played well together, gave some to my old man and he gave it the thumbs up also. Good job.

Meno and Hwall, glad you enjoyed my beer even though you jumped the gun a bit, the recipes on the bottle if you'd like to brew something similar.

Cheers

rokaxe said:

G'day rokaxe here. In comparison to the coffee-esque bevvie I had earlier this one has more coffee. It reminds me of the Brew Cult Milk and Two Sugars only drinkable and not sickly/heinously sweet. I will say this is bordering on just right and too sweet. Kudos to the **** that brewed this because you're getting me hard and gently edging me towards completion without being a huge slut.

18/25 potatoes. Farewell.
I had that in mind when I brewed this - uncanny. Thank you for flying Brewkid.

You did good, Kid!

#21 - Green

TBH not getting much, if anything, on the nose, not super bitter and not carbed enough. Probably wouldn't call this an APA. Was this a kit or AG, radshoes? Got a bit of "twang" to it.

Having said the neggi things, the posi things that I like about it are that it's nice and mild. The beer is very smooth and easy to drink and there is some bitterness there which, for the time I'm drinking this, is great because I've been pwning the hoppy beers lately. I can defs see myself having another one of these if it were on offer, actually

Some mosaic (about 70-3523523g) dry hopped for a few days directly before bottling would be fantastic and could do wonders. It ain't my beer though so YOLO it how you see fit if at all m9.

A solid effort none the less.

DSC_0064~2.jpg

Rokaxe, def AG doesnt look like I kept the recipe but would have been around 45-50 IBU. Bottled straight from keg so that would explain the lack of carb and possibly aroma, but it was keg hopped.
These bottles were a late addition as I didn't do my maths correctly and ran out of the porter!

So far I'm enjoying this! Not a typical hefe with all the hops which is why I think I'm enjoying this so much. Nice sweet fruit on the nose, solid bitterness and it's nice and light. Kinda not looking forward to the end of this.

DSC_0066~2.jpg

Ok so I've tasted through everything that is ready to taste. Half a dozen left I reckon. I had thought about a top 3 so far but the last beer I have consumed has turned the rankings on its head.

3. Menotes Kiwi Bright Ale. (9)

At first I was perhaps underwhelmed by this beer, only for the reason that it was a 'safe' choice of beer to brew. It had perfect carbonation, beautiful aromatics and lacing that lasted to the last mouthfeel. I've loved the experience of tasting all these beers. That being said so many missed the mark with carbonation (myself included) that I've decided to reward this beer, that was perfect to style, 3rd place.

2. Adrian's English IPA (22)

I reviewed this one earlier. Unfortunately I'd had a few and can't remember too much about it - except it was awesome. Would love to see the recipe of this one. 2nd place

1. Dark Rye IPA (20)

I opened this a few hours ago and was blown away with this. It's perhaps everything I could have hoped for in my beer but didn't achieve. So many aromas and flavours going on in this beer. I'd love to see a recipe of this. It's certainly one to savour, but you wonder if you pulled back on the ibu and abv could it be sessionable? Meh, too much thinking about it - it was brilliant!
1st place.

That picture was the second glass, about an hour after opening. Lacing till the last mouthful. Doesn't look clear but it was, with a slight ruby tint.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437811299.489937.jpg

Brilliant clarity and a good whiff of floral aroma on first pouring.

A very nice beer and to use a very over-used term very sessionable. Could drink quite a few of these.

Nice level of aroma, malt and bitterness. Carbonation level helps lift the aroma and flavours. A really nice beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437822650.656479.jpg

Benken25 - rice lager with lemongrass and black pepper

Getting a nice hit of lemon grass in aroma. Letting it warm up I'm getting pepper tang. As advertised. :)

The inter-play between the lemon grass and pepper in the taste is really quite intriguing.

The balance between 2 quite strong tastes is very well done. It could have gone either way but you've nailed it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437826273.371463.jpg

Natdene - Black IPA

First up I must admit to not having drunk too many black ipas.

I find this beer a mix between an IPA and porter when cold. Strong dark malt tastes and strong hops.

Warming up the dark malt fades and hops get stronger which seems strange to me.

Burps like a good IPA which is how I always judge ipas. Burp quality. Hoppy burp but with a bit of roasty malt. Good beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437829794.609624.jpg

Hailz. Was trying to log a midnight rating but failed. Probably 4th edit now.

Spicy dark tangy. good malt levels. Lots of rye saison zing

Seriously good beer. \m/

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437832846.654120.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive feedback on my Kiwi Bright Ale. I was really pleased with the way it turned out (it was my first brew using my new BIAB crown urn) and I'm gratified that others are enjoying it as much as I have. Cheers :chug:

I weakened :beerbang: :lol:

11. Angus;s Raisin Porter

Lovely full caramel treacle head. Beautiful rich fruity aroma, nice full body with a little bitter tweak as it finished off. Plenty of lace down the sides of the glass, very nicely carbed.

Really enjoying this one mate.

Update: (hehe, date) As it warms up, some lovely fruity raisin notes coming through, and a healthy glow with it.

2. Ciderman - Red Rye IPA 6.5% 66IBU

Not gonna lie I've had a few bevvies tonight so my palate isn't in the best shape, and I must also confess to getting the yeast back into suspension..

Aroma is fruity but subdued. Carbonation is med-low, tastes juicy, malty, not sure if I'm getting rye spice or if it's the hops+yeast. So juicy. Many hop. Thick lacing.
View attachment 82135

View attachment 82136

8 - hwall95 - Mocha Stout, 7%,

Harrys_Mocha_Stout.jpg

I gave it a pretty vigorous pour and it formed a small tan head that dissipates quickly (I blame the fact SWMBO keeps putting my beer glasses through the dishwasher despite my objections). A sniff and I get the aroma of coffee plus chocolatey malt, no discernible hops to my untrained nose.

Upon tasting I first get a rich dark malty flavour before the mocha comes through strong at the end, coating my tongue. It's still smooth however without any of the acrid tastes I (not a latte quaffer) associate with coffee. It has a full body but is far from a chewy stout and goes down well with only a bare hint of alcohol warmth at the end. I am surprised to find that it is 7% as it is deceptively easy to drink.

I find the hops are a real background player in this beer, which is unsurprising as it is a stout, with coffee added in it to boot. I've said it before but I'm not much of a stout drinker but the ones I've had so far in this swap have challenged my per-conceptions of the style as a whole. My only criticism is I might have liked it carbed a bit more but otherwise she <oops, sorry> it... is a lovely drop that I really enjoyed drinking.

Thanks for the beer sir.

- Meno

Latest posts

Back