SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So legitimate lacing on an actual swap beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437051252.415328.jpg

I've been sharing a bunch of these with my housemates so I'll just upload them in groups. Photos are hopefully in order

9. Kiwi Bright Ale
This was great Luke. Really clean and easy drinking ale. Lovely Hoppiness, backed by a light maltiness. Would make a great summers ale. Differently tastes different to your previous beers, I think you have a great knack for making clean and balanced yet still hoppy ales.

7. Irish ale:
This was delicious, lovely maltiness sweetness. Dangerously sessionable, well done mate. Really enjoyable beer mate, might have to make a Irish ale myself.

6. Coffee Stout
Well done mate, great coffee coming through. Some residual sweetness but very balanced with the bitterness which comes in at the end. You’re definitely giving me ideas on how to play with mine. Cheers Parks, really enjoyed it

5. Brown Porter
Nice chic and slight roastyness coming through with a nice bitterness. A really enjoyable porter although the aftertaste seemed to less strong.

24. Choc Raspberry Saison
Really great raspberry and choc flavours coming through. Lovely sweetness and a nice bitterness to make. Didn’t get much saision coming through, nevertheless great beer.

1437109113178.jpg

1437109131047.jpg

1437109143013.jpg

1437109152962.jpg

1437109161722.jpg

24 Screamadelica - belgian IPA

Really enjoyed this beer. Good body and malt character, funky Belgian yeast flavour, maybe not an IPA but certainly much more bitter than your standard Belgian, good head and lacing

10- Seehuusen - American Wheat IPA

seehussen_hoppy_wheat.jpg

Two of my favourite styles; A wheat and an American IPA in one beer? What could be better?!

The bottle opens with a crack of escaping gases and the floral/fruity aroma. It pours a bit cloudy, I figure I haven't been gentle enough with the bottle and forms a lovely paper-white head. This isn't very evident in the picture as it took me several tries to get a decent picture in the dark and by then the head had largely subsided.

The first sniff as I raise it to my lips is of ripe fruit (mosiac perhaps?) with the same floral backing as I caught wafting from the bottle. The first think I taste is a delicate malt sweetness followed by a full flavoured hoppy bitterness, not overwhelming and well balanced IMO. The taste coats my tongue and the hoppy flavour lingers with the sweetness playing a background role, it is very pleasant.

The colour surprises me a little, for a wheat I expected straw colours but it's a rich golden hue. That and the taste hints to me that there might be some light crystal in there somewhere? Or maybe a richer malt base than plain ol' pale malt... I'm just guessing here though.

I am really enjoying this one sir, like I said earlier; as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with a wheat and you've done something new (as far as I'm concerned) with this one.

Thanks for the drink!

- Meno

Thanks Luke,

The colour comes from a touch (3.7%) of CaraMunich, I wanted something to balance out the hops.
This beer actually rocks 60% wheat malts, perhaps slightly subdued by the CaraMunich?
Hops are a mix of Centennial early, followed by late cascade and citra. Citra and Summer as dry hop.

Going by people's comments, in the next batch I'll try a slightly lowered CaraMunich content, lower mash temp (I just found out my thermometer is out by 2 degrees when brewing this, so the sweetness comments make sense) and finally, perhaps a slightly bigger hit of dry hops. I wasn't going for a hop bomb, perhaps I should remove the IPA reference, as it is "only" a 5.5% beer?

Thanks for all the feedback, really helpful when coming up with new recipes :)

Cheers,
Martin

#17 brewkid oatmeal stout

Aroma : apologies but my nose is fucked by man flu.

Getting nice dark malts and roast in taste and a gentle lingering roast. Perfect beer for this weather. I even left it out of fridge for 10 mins to being temp up.

Wish I could smell and taste this beer better. Stupid flu.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437212921.567443.jpg

Radshoes porter

Mild hop aroma and some dark malt aroma.

Nice smooth choc flavours and good carbonation levels. Again nice dark beer suits the weather.

Man, getting some good dark beers in this swap.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437217386.248136.jpg

4.- Madpierre06 - Coffee Imperial Stout Bottle with an underlined 4 ,

MP_coffee_stout.jpg

...or as I like to call it 'Darker than Midnight in Freezing Bloody Winter'. I'm going all out for you MP.

A smooth silken pour forms a deep tan head on this particular lady, she seems alluringly dark and mysterious to my tired eyes. Her perfume is both earthy and spicy but those aromas are subtle, almost over-whelmed by the richer tones of dark malt and coffee that take the fore-front as I raise her to my expectant lips.

The first lingering sip fills my mouth with her full malty body, all coffee at first then then a creamy sweetness as she slips effortlessly across my tongue. She is bitter, I realise but her bite is tempered with a full, rounded mellowness with a playful little caffeinated nibble at the end. Her hop flavours are present but only faintly as the midnight malts quickly out-shine them, followed by a warm alcohol glow that enfolds me seductively in her arms.

She's not as bubbly as others I've known, more settled and subdued, her head subsiding slowly leaving only tracings of lace but no less than expected of a lass of her breeding and style. Neither is she to be rushed, I take it slow and appreciate each gentle sip of her. It's a delightful evening experience with a mature lady...

Well, I hope I didn't get too carried away there MP, hopefully it still makes sense. I'll be honest, I'm not a stout or coffee drinker as a rule but I could contentedly sip away at this one for some time yet. I just hope the coffee doesn't keep me up all night. Not as chewy as I have come to expect from stouts and I'm glad of it. The photo isn't great but the best I could do at midnight.

Thanks for the drink sir!

- Meno

PS. I might wind back on the Mills & Boons for the rest of you gents, eh?

10 American Wheat IPA

I (like many others) quite like this one, fruity hop aromas, malty body and a more-ish hop combination. Sure the presentation lets it down a bit (cloudy body and smallish head) but the flavour profile was great.

6 Coffee Stout

Bingo Parks, real nice balance between coffee and stout, most enjoyable.

(now to find the scribbled notes from the others consumed on Friday night)

Liam_snorkel said:
Yeah ten points for effort but it's kind of creepy Luke
So you don't want me molesting your beer, Liam? :ph34r:

...but yeah, funs over. These reviews are taking me half an hour to write. From here on I'll just snap a pic, write a line or two of detailed notes and then sit back and enjoy the beer I've been given.

menoetes said:

MP_coffee_stout.jpg

...or as I like to call it 'Darker than Midnight in Freezing Bloody Winter'. I'm going all out for you MP.

A smooth silken pour forms a deep tan head on this particular lady, she seems alluringly dark and mysterious to my tired eyes. Her perfume is both earthy and spicy but those aromas are subtle, almost over-whelmed by the richer tones of dark malt and coffee that take the fore-front as I raise her to my expectant lips.

The first lingering sip fills my mouth with her full malty body, all coffee at first then then a creamy sweetness as she slips effortlessly across my tongue. She is bitter, I realise but her bite is tempered with a full, rounded mellowness with a playful little caffeinated nibble at the end. Her hop flavours are present but only faintly as the midnight malts quickly out-shine them, followed by a warm alcohol glow that enfolds me seductively in her arms.

She's not as bubbly as others I've known, more settled and subdued, her head subsiding slowly leaving only tracings of lace but no less than expected of a lass of her breeding and style. Neither is she to be rushed, I take it slow and appreciate each gentle sip of her. It's a delightful evening experience with a mature lady...

Well, I hope I didn't get too carried away there MP, hopefully it still makes sense. I'll be honest, I'm not a stout or coffee drinker as a rule but I could contentedly sip away at this one for some time yet. I just hope the coffee doesn't keep me up all night. Not as chewy as I have come to expect from stouts and I'm glad of it. The photo isn't great but the best I could do at midnight.

- Meno

At least she wasn't drunk with vomit stains down her top and her knickers dangling off one ankle. Nice to see you treating her with the dignity she deserves. :lol:

Quick query mate, how was it considering only three weeks post bottling? I'm going to be waiting until at least early August before I have one of mine from the batch. And I reckon the photo did pretty reasonable justice, eh. Thanks for the review, eh.

madpierre06 said:
Quick query mate, how was it considering only three weeks post bottling? I'm going to be waiting until at least early August before I have one of mine from the batch. And I reckon the photo did pretty reasonable justice, eh. Thanks for the review, eh.
Oh shoot! Sorry man I misread the date and thought it was good to go... like I said I don't drink a lot of stouts but it seemed pretty good to my uncultured tastebuds. I don't doubt it'll mellow and grow more complex with time but I enjoyed it as it was. I hope you don't mind me jumping the gun...

24 - Screamadelica's Belgian IPA

I'm on the same opinion with Earle on this one. Great beer, not what id call a true Belgian IPA (a-la Flying Dog's Raging Bitch) but it's definitely a nice beer. Good Belgian yeast character, nice malt sweetness without being overpowering. Something tells me this is very much like a tripel yet a bit more bitter. Solid beer mate very enjoyable. I could have two or three in a row and be quite pleased with life (and probably half way drunk being a 7% haha)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1437465858.254242.jpg

menoetes said:

MP_coffee_stout.jpg

- Meno

I feel kinda dirty after reading this, but in a good way. Stay classy!

For a 7%'er this beer is easy like your mother. So chocolatey with a bees dick hint of coffee. It's not huge, it's not small - it's just right. I'm drinking this far too quickly for its ABV but hole shet, YOLO. This is my favourite of the Porter/Stouts I've had thus far.

Could use a little more carbonation but.

Soiya.

DSC_0061~2.jpg

Back