SE QLD Xmas-in-July 2015 (Tasting Thread)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ciderman said:
You could add it after the boil or towards the middle/end of fermentation. I reckon your better off just upping the grain bill because adding a simple sugar can reduce your FG, where you'd want to extract as much body as you can ending up in the high teens for such a big beer.

I wouldn't bother with the port barrel. Most people leave them empty for years and will struggle to hold a liquid.

I used oak chips as well. You can get all different toast levels and varieties. Next time you have a go I'll give you some of these. You don't need much.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438394187.089506.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the offer mate.

Would have preferred a tripel tbh. Nah, this is actually really legit fellas. My pick of the dark beers so far. Well done, Anus Pls!

Getting roast, prunes and an ever so faint touch of hot alcohol as it warms. Solid head too.

Would happily drink this again.

DSC_0087~2.jpg

22 - Aydos's dark rye IPA

Nice colour, good ruby highlights and looks like something that would go down a treat in a stone-walled pub under the streets of Innsbruck.
22 - dark rye IPA.jpg

Smells bready, yeasty, caramel and alcoholic (bit of a mix there, some good and some bad IMO), smells and tastes like a touch of acetaldehyde. Putting the alcohol and caramel aside, it reminds me of the 1469 yeast.

Taste is rye, caramel, bread, bit of chocolate and roast and a solid, woody, slightly coarse bitterness - POR, Northdown? Mouthfeel is ok, touch on the heavy side. Really good, long-lasting bitterness. Nice finish, bit of a mix of nice lingering bitterness, rye, yeast and alcohol. As it warms, the caramel comes through more and the flavours blend really nicely. It's a touch heavy in the body though, so not really a session ale and not sure I'd head out on the road after 7 of these.

This is a really nice black IPA. Its got roast, Hops and blackness. I'm enjoying this a lot!

I'm beginning to get a sore throat and unfortunately my nose just crapped itself. What a shit time to be alive.

DSC_0093~2.jpg

Also on # 12 by Natdene

Low carbonation, less gas than, but as black as an ex-wife's mood swings.

Moderate bitterness, not over the top. Low foam, but nice lacing. nice aromatics.

I'll call it for what it is.....bloody nice. Just has me looking for a little more on the aroma/flavour side.image.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438763751.564031.jpg

No. 17 - Brewkid?'s Oatmeal Stout - finally have the perfect dinner to go with this, smoked pulled beef and rice. Pours well, good head quick to fade with some lacing still hanging around.

Smell - roasted malts, dark malts, brilliant. My sense of smell is currently fucked by a cold but what I can smell smells good

Taste - nice. Carbonation is about right for the style, maybe a touch low. A little sweetness, some roast malts. Sense of taste is just as fucked as smell with this damn cold. I'm sure it's a reasonable beer.

Overall - I'm sure I'd love this if I wasn't sick!

Ripped open a 13 - Hail Saiton dark rye saison

What lukiferj has done here is a 'pune', or play on words. You see, he's called it "hail saiton", suggesting 'hail satan', which sounds the same - but it's spelled in a similar manner to a 'saison', which is what the beer is. This is very clever, I find.

13 - dark rye saison.jpg
Looks the goods, awesome... moussy head, which is much better than a mousey head IMO.

Smells a little apricotty and funky, bit of sour apple. Taste is great, though the rye isn't as forward as other rye beers unfortunately - must be the saison bulldozer. Nice chocolate and roast throughout, and a nice complex, lingering finish - really nice. Not super-dry but that's ok. I should stop comparing it to Dupont as I keep expecting a really dry, bitter, peppery finish. It's nice though, with chocolate and roast really coming through. Nicely done, good beer. :)

Thanks Adr_0. I was pretty happy with it. Currently drinking the next iteration which is slightly drier and spicier but not much. Has just under 20% rye. Used 3711 rather than 3724. I find it's an incredibly versatile saison yeast while 3724 is good for making a DuPont style clone that just misses the mark.

Glad you liked the pun. Hails.

22 - Aydos's dark rye IPA

Good solid bitterness with a strong malt backbone, good balance I reckon. More of a dark IPA than a rye dark IPA for me, I get rye in the mouthfeel but not so much in the flavour. I think there's a bit of roast in there, between it and the bitterness the rye flavour is not so noticeable. I would try backing the roast off a bit next time maybe. A very enjoyable beer though. Good one

Happy IPA Day everyone!
I'm going to crack a couple tonight. First up:

20. (08/07) Adr_0 - English IPA

Ticks all the boxes, light flowery estery aroma, sweet malt with some hops, bitterness is there, finishes slightly sweet but dry of that makes sense. Foam stability game is very strong, followed the beer all the way down the glass with good lacing. Fairly clear. If I had to be picky I think I was getting some green apples in the aroma/taste, and carbonation maybe a little high, but not enough to put me off.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438850306.128419.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438850324.697792.jpg

Also drinking number 20. Agree with Liam's comments mostly. If he hadn't mentioned the acetaldehyde I wouldn't have picked it. Very faint and maybe just slightly takes away from the UK hops. Otherwise very solid beer.

14. (02/08) rokaxe - IRA 6.8%, 97 IBU

Instant fruity aroma, deep dark clear* red with a thick head, tastes juicy hop oils w sweet malt, maybe some roast, bitterness is balanced. Doesn't taste like 97 IBU. Prob because the overall hop profile is on the smooth/juicy side rather than piney etc.
*first pour.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438853070.014054.jpg

12. (18/07) Natdene - Black IPA 6.2%,

Black but clear (red highlights). Big almost dank aroma, taste follows with roast and and some malt sweetness that's kinda sharp/tart almost cola-like if that makes sense, solid bitterness but balanced. Thick head and lacing is out of control. Very enjoyable.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438858424.327216.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438858450.943880.jpg

#15 Ballantyne's yee!

Subtle hop aroma but as is the case with everyone else, I've got the black flu pop and my nose ain't working so good. Although getting more hops aroma as it warms up.

Bags of bitter hop flavour and the carb level really bangs the hop flavours home. Not subtle. :)

There are some good malt flavours there as well but certainly a back seat for me.

Great carb levels and lacing on the glass is fairly impressive. Long lasting head.

Great tasting hoppy burps which is a sign of a good IPA for me.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438858977.690557.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438860423.844686.jpg

#22 Aydos' dark rye IPA
Good stuff man. Aroma reminds me of Victory Storm King. The rye/roast combo is strong almost to the point of astringency. Big beer but goes down easy
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438940687.259319.jpg

#20 adr_0 English IPA

Getting some nice gentle floral aromas it warms up.

Nice earthy flavours and a really nice lingering bitterness which hangs around. It's a smooth bitterness compared to an American IPA and I'm enjoying the change.

I've not had many English ipas but if this is the style I may add one to my brewing list.

Im enjoying experiencing a new beer style. Nice beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438945741.295047.jpg

And much like Lukifer, if Liam hadn't mentioned the green apples I would never have noticed it. But slightly more noticeable as it starts warming. It's very faint.

Back