Qld Xmas in July in June2014 case swap * tasting thread *

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
16) Snow - Imperial Witbier

Light aroma of spice (my nose is a bit blocked so I'm probably missing out here sorry mate). Creamy smooth wheat mouth feel, taste is quite peppery with some citrus zest. Complex beer, the combination reminds me of sarsaparilla! I'm eating some cheese with hot tomato chutney and it works together perfectly haha. Yum.
What yeast & spice combo did you use Snow? And how imperial is this bad boy... it's bloody smooth drinking and I'm a bit sad that the bottle has run out as I type this. Dayum.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405823105.268751.jpg
Thanks for the feedback, Liam. The yeast was Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier and the spices were coriander, cumin, back pepper and mandarine peel. With bottle carbing, it finished up at 6.5%.

Cheers - Snow.

Lakey said:
Not sure if it has been said yet, but any chance of getting the recipes for these beers in this thread. I have been watching this thread and my mouth waters reading all the reviews.
No worries! Here's mine, lakey:

I screwed up the efficiency because I forgot to split my sparge into 2 batches and ended up doing one single sparge, so left some of the sugars behind.... also you lose a bit of efficiency with this much wheat.

Cheers - Snow

Snow's Imperial Witbier

Batch Size: 25.50 L
Brewer: Snow
Boil Size: 33.60 L
Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: Snow's Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50):
Brewhouse Efficiency: 63.00
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

4.00 kg Pilsner, Barrett Burston (1.6 SRM) Grain 44.44 %
4.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (2.0 SRM) Grain 44.44 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 11.11 %
18.00 gm Magnum [14.70 %] (60 min) Hops 22.8 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.22 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Black Pepper (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Cumin seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
20.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
35.00 gm Mandarine Peel (freshly peeled) (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast Labs #3944) Yeast-Wheat
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.61 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.27 %
Bitterness: 25.0 IBU
Calories: 644 cal/l
Est Color: 4.6 SRM
Color: Color
Mash Profile
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 kg
Sparge Water: 21.11 L
Grain Temperature: 19.4 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE
Mash PH: 5.4 PH
My Mash Step mash 65C for 60 mins

Never would have picked that as 6.5% Snow, it was quite refreshing, dangerously drinkable. One of my favourites from the swap.

I would never have guessed the spices either, the flavours blended quite nicely.

Thanks mate. Yeah it's taken a few goes over the years to work out that sometimes less is more when it comes to spices. The timing of the additions is important, too. Mosher's Radical Brewing helped a lot.

Cheers - Snow.

Snow, I just had your beer yesterday, and Liam's account is pretty spot on from what I got.
I really enjoyed this beer! The pepper was subtle but distinctly there, if that makes sense :) Yum, and great beer to finish the entire case swap off on, I cannot wait for the next swap meet :D

Seehusen's blueberry hefe weizen

Im not getting much blue berry on the nose but I'm a bit stuffy so feel I'm missing out here.

Faint fruit on front taste, and bags of carbonation. Nice wheaty yeasty zing in the after taste.

Head falls down but that could be due to my grease-laden abominable moustache. :)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406895361.658902.jpg

Snows imperial wit

Sinuses are chronically blocked but I'm loving it. Can't smell much but getting orange citrusy flavours banging around in the mid-taste and some nice tang on the back of the throat.

Spices and citrus layered through. Nicely done snow!!!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406900724.502164.jpg

Winkles apricot sour

I'm not getting much aroma. I'm wondering whether my nose is working anymore.

What is working for me is the sour in this beer. It's a real nice level: some sour foods/drinks can overdo the sour level but this is a great level. It's quite nice to lick my lips after a while and get that nice sour taste.

I'm getting some nice apricot acidic after-tastes. Nice work perry!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1407065586.346469.jpg

Release the kraken!!!

Aka tazman1967 - Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout

Getting faint vanilla aroma and some gentle dark malts.

Waiting for it to warm up to release full flavours but getting some nice faint rum alcohol tastes coming through.

Enjoyable beer! Don't know about sessionable as I reckon the nab is up there, but certainly a nice beer or two to knock over in winter.

View attachment 73746

And with that last beer I am done people. No more swap beers left.
:'(

I am extremely impressed with the quality of beers in the swap. I would have happily thrown coin over the bar for any of the beers in the swap.

I am looking forward to the next swap and have to decide what style of beer to stretch myself to. So many styles and types of beers in this swap I feel I can't just throw in one of my common brews but need to force myself a little bit.

Brew on boys!!!

angus_grant said:
And with that last beer I am done people. No more swap beers left.
:'(

I am extremely impressed with the quality of beers in the swap. I would have happily thrown coin over the bar for any of the beers in the swap.

I am looking forward to the next swap and have to decide what style of beer to stretch myself to. So many styles and types of beers in this swap I feel I can't just throw in one of my common brews but need to force myself a little bit.

Brew on boys!!!
I'm having the same issue at this point, what the hell can I brew that will stand out amongst rum soaked oak aged stout, apricot sours and blueberry hefe's.

Its a bit of a head scratcher, I'm half considering something like a Boh Pils just as a counterpoint to all the out there complex beers.

I think any well made beer would be appreciated, regardless of style. I personally like the occasional standard-strength pale lager (or cream ale) that isn't too "challenging" flavour-wise. This can really showcase a brewer's talent and lets me have a drink without having to "think about it" too much!

Cheers - Snow.

Snow said:
I think any well made beer would be appreciated, regardless of style. I personally like the occasional standard-strength pale lager (or cream ale) that isn't too "challenging" flavour-wise. This can really showcase a brewer's talent and lets me have a drink without having to "think about it" too much!

Cheers - Snow.
I agree, I originally started brewing the cream ale as something my brother would be able to drink (he considers XXXX gold to be the pinnacle of brewing), I found I was going to that tap over IPAs and bitters during sessions.

I'm not sure I'd throw it in the case swap, but a Boh Pils has potential. Especially for the December swap.

A good CAP on a hot day is great as well. Didn't somebody do a Budvar clone a while back that was tops as well. Don't have a clue what I'll brew - maybe a Grisette?
PS Yay Brad, then you won't have to go home in the early morning

Realised I still have a few beers to drink, enjoyed Ballantynebrew's vintage ale Sunday morning, cracking beer, big caramalt aroma and flavour and a nice firm bitterness that lingered for a good while.

Yeah so while I was rummaging around for PET bottles today for the current xmas swap I found a couple of stragglers. Sorry for keeping them in spare room at ambient for 5 months!

First up:
10) Daemon - Zythos IPA

Pours a little lively but not a gusher. Still has some fruity aroma. Taste is super juicy hops and caramel malt. Balanced bitterness. Spewin I missed this when it was fresh!
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1417598404.105454.jpg

Latest posts

Back