Qld Xmas in July in June2014 case swap * tasting thread *

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 Nickb apa
I was smelling the hops on this as it was hitting the glass. Talk about in your face. I thought it would be more bitter than what it is going off the aroma. I was wrong. Drinks very well Nick. Very nice beer indeed.

Batz said:
I should have hit Perry up for a bottle of this, both Shaun and I enjoyed it. I deserved one Perry, for my excellent brekky cooking skills, seems I have become the brekky bitch of late. :p :ph34r:

Batz
I'll see what I can do mate ;)

3 Ben's rauchbier.
Plesently Smokey very much to style mate. Fantastic head retention and good lacing. Very smooth and well balanced. You do this beer very well.

7 Liam's cherrywood rauch dunkle.
I'm glad I had Ben's first tonight because it is far more smoky. It is a totally different smoke character I like it. It's a very well balanced beer mate. I don't get much in the way of hef yeast aromas though. I can see where Angus recon s it would pair with pie though. Mmm smoky bbq sauce. I want more so I can marinate some ribs in it.

Thanks beersuit. I think I was let down a bit by WB06. I fermented cool to try to push the cloves but I think that got lost, and WB06 doesn't really throw any banana at those temps (if at all). I plan on trying a similar recipe again & will do so with a proper wheat yeast. Might also dial down the smoke, just a little bit.

2. Beersuit - American Wheat

Pours a clear, light golden, big fluffy head that takes an age to dissipate. Initial aroma is faintly citrus, slightly floral. Flavour is slightly tart, some citrus notes from the hops, body quite thin and finishes dry but this enhances the quaffability.... A well made beer mate! very tasty at 10am after night shift!

Cheers

9) Parks - Single hop Amarillo IPA

Pours a hazy amber, billowing head that lasts, aroma of slight citrus, some background sweet malt character. Flavour is caramel malt driven, with a background of mandarin, typical Amarillo soapiness. Somewhat bitter on the finish, body fairly full and carbonation is possibly a touch too high for style and adds a slight carbonic bite.

A decent beer Troy, however I'm still not a fan of Amarillo!

Cheers

1- Perry's Apricot Sour

Funky and spicy on the nose, flavour is sour with just a hint of background apricot. Refreshing and tasty...Though doesn't seem to have quite the Apricot character of the beer on tap at the swap...

Cheers

What better way to add to Liam's lovely drop than follow the inspiration of an earlier post and rather than marinate ribs in it, HAVE a beef rib with it. A bloody top drop.

IMG_0169 (Large).JPG

:lol:

Probably be having that one with Benken's rauchybier. The rib was a taste tester from the butcher at Rode Rd. Slow cooked in the over for about 4 hours at around 90 degrees,

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Good old Rode Road, how I miss thee.
Always been good meat from there, eh. We've been here since early '95 and rarely a bad piece of meat. Having some eye fillet this evening from there with some vege chips and Tazman's Kraken Rum Oak Aged Stout. Just finishing off the last of Liam's drop now. As previously noted in the thread, so damn smoky.

17- belgium stout - fucked the pour. But this is top notch. Nice thick and very well balanced . Mind sharing
the bill for this one aydos ?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405064809.636240.jpg

RobV's Red IPA.
Phwoar. Dark fruity almost creamy aroma, taste is malty with a heavy kind of ripe pineapple hop flavour, pretty dank. Firm bitterness but not overpowering. Head retention & lacing are epic, this beast is packed full of hop oils. Nailed the colour and carbonation is appropriate. Onya Rob! This is one of the best of the swap I've had so far, the missus puts it at the top.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405072589.108507.jpg

Earle's smoked rye porter

exactly as described. A good whack of BBQ on the nose, rich & smooth, mostly smokey choc roast flavour. I think I get some rye in the aftertaste it's slightly spicy and slick, really good drinking

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405076429.929772.jpg

10) Daemon - Zythos IPA
Well all is right with the world. Great head and lacing all the way down the glass. Great hop taste up front and some nice oily bitterness in after taste. I'm getting some malt coming through. Great IPA!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405077235.762626.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Earle's smoked rye porter

exactly as described. A good whack of BBQ on the nose, rich & smooth, mostly smokey choc roast flavour. I think I get some rye in the aftertaste it's slightly spicy and slick, really good drinking

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405076429.929772.jpg
Thanks Liam, I'm planning on tasting one of these on Sunday arvo when I get home from being away then hopefully updating as ready to drink. How did you find the carbonation?

RobV red IPA

I'm getting some nice aromas once warmed up. My nose is blocked so I can't really pick out anything in particular.

Getting a nice malt hit up front which then gets hidden by the hop bitterness taking over. Nice resiny hops hang around for a while in the after-taste. I am such an IPA whore. :)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405080110.482549.jpg

18) leahy268 - Cascade and Galaxy pale ale

I've obviously done this in the wrong order but here is the APA after the 2 IPAs. Have swilled some warm water to cleanse my pallet.

I'm getting some nice aroma up front and some gentle bitterness in after-taste. Seems a nice balanced APA

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405085869.044117.jpg

Latest posts

Back