Qld Xmas in July in June2014 case swap * tasting thread *

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
11) Angus - dunkel weizen - READY
Easy drinkable dunkel, with light clove/banana yeast flavours. Nice malty flavours coming through too. Very enjoyable in deed!

13) ballantynebrew - Vintage Ale - READY
Nice ale with subtle hops aroma and a lingering slight bitterness.
I think other people have given a much better worded review, it was definitely a good drink.

14) TheCarbinator - Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Ready.
Wow, I knew this one was alcoholic from the reviews, it nearly put me on my arse LOL
Really nice banana flavours from the yeast and certainly feels on par with any Belgian ale I've liked. It drinks like a sessionable beer, then boom, it hits ya :D I really liked it!

Can't believe I'm nearly through 2/3 of my swap beer, loving this though! Fantastic idea :)

Yesterday was IPAs, today shall be wheat beers.

I have Beersuit's Angus' and Seehusen's beers lined up for the start of an afternoon session.

I'm trying to taste these beers first up in the hopes of leaving something vaguely resembling useful feedback.

seehuusen said:
Parks, thanks for the feedback, appreciated!
I'll watch carbonation next time. I did a bulk prime, and calculated the sugar amount online based on the style. I'll lower the level for the next batch I brew. :chug:
Hefeweizens are tough because they need to be highly carbonated. It's possible that maybe you still had 1 or 2 gravity points in your batch before bulk priming maybe or you were just over in the calc.

It really was only just over the top level. Considering it primed in a week in this weather in the bottle I guess there definitely was too much fermentable sugars in the bottle.

2) Beersuit - American Wheat. - READY

Sorry mate, no detailed tasting notes; just great - a great beer.

A nice wheat tartness and some good clean american hops. Very refreshing ;)

8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA - READY

I was blessed with 2 bottles of this, first one (black cap if that means anything) was overcarbed, I thought I picked up a touch of of paper/cardboard in the nose and a faint hint in rhe flavour profile, but a enjoyable beer non-the-less. Hop mix was good.
I degassed the second (white cap) and gave it some hang time to warm up a bit, much better, couldn't pick any oxidised notes and a better hop aroma/flavour. I'd suggest everyone degas and let this warm up (like we should any way) to avoid the carbonic bite. (The missus loved it Luke - "make this beer!")

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404543003.654897.jpg

11- angus Dunkel

Really nice had to have it in a proper glass. I suggest you go play a song From our people on the pipes to celebrate

winkle said:
8 ) lukiferj - Reign in Blood Red IPA - READY

I was blessed with 2 bottles of this, first one (black cap if that means anything) was overcarbed, I thought I picked up a touch of of paper/cardboard in the nose and a faint hint in rhe flavour profile, but a enjoyable beer non-the-less. Hop mix was good.
I degassed the second (white cap) and gave it some hang time to warm up a bit, much better, couldn't pick any oxidised notes and a better hop aroma/flavour. I'd suggest everyone degas and let this warm up (like we should any way) to avoid the carbonic bite. (The missus loved it Luke - "make this beer!")
Thanks mate. Possibly why I've never noticed any off flavours. I do this with most of my beers anyway.

2) Beersuit - American Wheat.

light citrusy aroma, wicked head retention, slight bitter/tart kick. Very yummy, refreshing. What's the ABV on this puppy?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404544842.334759.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404544861.687383.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404556477.043770.jpg

7- Liam snorkel - cherrywood raunch : holy **** I'm trying not to be biased but this is ******* radical.
I'll just go sit under a fig tree until it warms up - laters!

Must be wheat night. Same feedback as everyone else. Nice citrus and tangy flavours.

Thought I'd take a photo half way through as the head just keeps keeping on
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404556782.647142.jpg

Cheers for the feed back guys. The abv on it is 3.8% I can't justify calling it midstrength when now days drinking IPA's at 6.5~7% is the norm.

Beersuit said:
Cheers for the feed back guys. The abv on it is 3.8% I can't justify calling it midstrength when now days drinking IPA's at 6.5~7% is the norm.
Just poured your beer mate, I can't add more to the feedback already given, it is really nice, curious about the grist, mind sharing the recipe?

23) Seehuusen - Blueberry Hefeweizen

Pretty lively carbonation, tart berries on the nose. Photo doesn't really show it but it has a kind of pastel pink colour. Smooth wheaty mouthfeel, a hint of banana, the fruity & slightly acidic blueberry is forefront but not overpowering. Ie, it still tastes like a hefeweizen. With blueberries. I guess you nailed it :)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404619682.357250.jpg

I'm really appreciating the detailed tasting notes by you blokes here. Whether I killed mine off years ago through smoking or they are just an average set (or a combination of the two) is probably a moot point. Some of the notes detailed I have been able to recognise after reading and then tasting, and others (such as the hazelnut in Brad's ale) I have been able to recognise myself but not to the extent detailed. If those points are put aside though, all I can say is I don't think I've ever enjoyed such a varied selection of beers as much as I have from this batch.

:beerbang: :beerbang: :super:

19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild

Slight spicy aroma, smooth full body, touch of diacetyl. Super deep red colour when held to the light. Lacing like ya mums lingerie. Yum. Nice beer Joel.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404622372.227057.jpg

EDIT: what yeast did you use? Also what's the ABV of this puppy?

17) Aydos - Blueberry and Black peppercorn Belgian stout

Light freshly cracked peppercorn on the nose, blending in with spicy phenolics.. not sure if I'm getting blueberry or imagining it, there's a slight fruitiness but that could also be the yeast? Tastes rich is & thick textbook stout with some pepper. boozey but not hot. Pretty bloody smooth.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404626541.837548.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
19) Donske - Rye Dark Mild

Slight spicy aroma, smooth full body, touch of diacetyl. Super deep red colour when held to the light. Lacing like ya mums lingerie. Yum. Nice beer Joel.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404622372.227057.jpg

EDIT: what yeast did you use? Also what's the ABV of this puppy?
Yeast is WY1084 Irish Ale, quickly becoming my house UK strain for its low attenuation and the way it really accentuates malt character.

Only 3.5%, had a starting gravity of 1.042.

Cool, I haven't used that one yet. It was nice & malty without tasting sweet at all. And yeah pretty full especially for 3.5 ABV. Good beer man

Back