Qld Xmas In July 2007 - Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the review Chad!

I think I orginally had some Med. Crystal in the recipe, but for whatever reason it was left out. This I assume would have helped up the body a bit, and take the edge off the bitterness. Re: the carbonation, I didn't get this in the bottles I kept - all were carbed up nicely, but not high at all. If memory serves I only primed at 4g/L so unless you got a bit of extra sugar, I'm not sure where the bubbles are coming from!

Cheers

Well, I've been overseas for the couple of months. Tough I know, but someone's gotta do it. I have about 5 or 6 left from the case. So.....

NickB's Very Ordinary Bitter.

First of all, sorry mate that it has taken so long. I thought I was only saving those that said they should be saved, and this one is a "drink now" - about 3 months ago.

Aroma: Light chocolate and caramel aroma. Some esters, no hops.

Appearance: Poured with low carbonation (as you said and as is typical for an ordinary bitter). Very fine head forms a thin ring around the glass. Delightful rich red/brown colour. Brilliant clarity.

Flavour: Malty flvour is up front. Quite a bit of residual sweetness. Underlying hop flavour which balances well with the malt flavour. Good fruity ester profile as you would expect in this one. Finish is assertively bitter, and the bitterness lingers for a while. I am not sure if the bitterness is over the top or just a defining characteristic - its close to that line.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, but still gives a little carbonation bite. Body is medium/low. A bit thicker than I expected and may be due to the residual sweetness I am tasting.

Overall: Great beer, NickB. It has held itself up very well over 3 months, which is usually waaay beyond the use by date on an ordinary bitter. The bitterness is noticeably high, but as I said, if it is over the edge, it is not very far over :) Apart from this, it has all the traits of a classic Bitter. Certainly better than some of the Bitters I tasted in the UK recently.

Berp.

Awww, thanks man! You're making me blush!

It thought the bitterness was spot on, but I have been accused of liking a really bitter beer!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers

Screwtop's Koelsch

Aroma: Light malt aroma with a hint of candi sugar esters. No hops. Some alcohol.

Appearance: The bottle was a slow gusher. Fine white, lasting head of medium thickness. Colour is gold and looks a little darker than a commercial Koelsch. Very good clarity.

Flavour: Floral and somewhat grassy hop flavour comes through first. There is an underlying malt flavour here, but hard to describe as it is quite well hidden. Some caramel I would say. The beer also tastes sweet. Finish is lightly bitter and dry. Reasonably clean. The esters are there, but to me tastes os a different quality than I would expect. My only guess is that it is the yeast strain and fermentation temp giving this ester profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium body which is increased by apparent sweetness (as is typical in this style). Carbonation is medium, so I don't know where the gush went.

Overall: A very pleasant and easy drinking beer. It is very close to an authentic Keolsch, but I would expect adifferent ester flavour to it. Sorry I can't be more exacting on this one. Its 90% there, but hard to say how to grab back the other 10%. Well done in any case!

Berp.

Screwtop's Koelsch

Aroma: Light malt aroma with a hint of candi sugar esters. No hops. Some alcohol.

Appearance: The bottle was a slow gusher. Fine white, lasting head of medium thickness. Colour is gold and looks a little darker than a commercial Koelsch. Very good clarity.

Flavour: Floral and somewhat grassy hop flavour comes through first. There is an underlying malt flavour here, but hard to describe as it is quite well hidden. Some caramel I would say. The beer also tastes sweet. Finish is lightly bitter and dry. Reasonably clean. The esters are there, but to me tastes os a different quality than I would expect. My only guess is that it is the yeast strain and fermentation temp giving this ester profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium body which is increased by apparent sweetness (as is typical in this style). Carbonation is medium, so I don't know where the gush went.

Overall: A very pleasant and easy drinking beer. It is very close to an authentic Keolsch, but I would expect adifferent ester flavour to it. Sorry I can't be more exacting on this one. Its 90% there, but hard to say how to grab back the other 10%. Well done in any case!
Berp.

100% on the judging, ferment temp 16 pitched at 15, but AA only achieved 63%. The 2565 yeast is responsible for the characteristics it was mashed at 62 (50 min) and 70 (25 min). And the sweetness was due to attenuation issues with 2565 over 5 consecutive batches all different packs, changed yeast for batches after this one and had a little better results. Have one fermenting now, trying something different, but same low attenuation, down from 1.049 to 1.021 in 10 days, still going, but giving in. Had been told this was an aggressive strain, bollocks!

Thanks,
Screwy

Zizzle's Schwarzbier

Aroma: Very light apple aroma with a touch of dark malt but otherwise clear of aromas.

Appearance: Good thick tan head that is long lasting. Beer is black and probably clear.

Flavour: Clean and crisp chocolatey and roasty flavour initially. No discernable hop flavour. Assertive hop bitterness that come have way through the mouthful and lingers long afterwards. Low to no esters. Slight touch of acidity.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. med/high carbonation. Very mild alcohol warmth.

Overall: I was going to apologise for leaving this one in the fridge for so long, but I think the extended lagering has only done it wonders. This is a great schwarzbier that has agood dark malt flavour and assertive bitterness. I would think the only minor flaw is that the bitterness is slightly too hig, but other than that it is a beautiful drop!

Berp.

Cheers Berp, pretty well matches my thoughts on that beer.

I can't remember what I did to stuff up the bittereness, but I do remember there was a stuff up on brew day.

I actually found a bottle of my case swap beer last weekend and took it to a party to try. It had changed quite a lot in that time, I was getting some licorice from it. I think I much preferred it young.

Incider's Captain's Daughter Porter

Aroma: Prominent apple and sugary aroma. I don't think this is acetaldehyde. Other than that, very muted aroma.

Appearance: Very thin head supporrted by high carbonation. Red/brown colour - a bit light for a porter. Very good clarity.

Flavour: Dark malts with some raisin flavour initially. again some apple, which I am starting to suspect is acetaldehyde, which I would guess is a sign of early oxidation. No hop flavour. FInish is dry and mildly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium/full body with a significant carbonation bite. Slightly slick on the tongue (not sure of the source, but maybe some residual sweetness).

Overall: Carbonation's a tad high, but other than that it has a pleasant flavour of dark malts and dark fruits. Bitterness is well placed in the back, but not under-bittered. Overall: a good stock beer to have on a hot day like this (well, its always hot here).

Berp.

...and that brings to an end the xmas in July case for me. Thanks to all for making some great beers in there. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Wish I could join you all for the xmas xmas case swap in a few weeks, but I've been out of the homebrew scene over the last few months due to too much travel. Down to my last supplies of the old stuff but should get back into brewing in the next week. Thanks again all!

Berp.

Back