Qld Xmas Case Swap - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And Gavo, a cracker mate, I must see the recipe.

View attachment 33592

Thanks for the comments BD and others. Recipe below, this one was mashed at 65 degrees C for 90min, I have brewed this one as an easy drinker and like the lighter body. It's not my usual APA, which I am still working on, as I was running out of ingredients and had to sub others in on the fly. I am a bit embarrassed though as I recently tasted the water out of my HLT and it was pretty yuck, will be changing the old element to see if thats the problem, might explain that hard to place something in it.

Anywho here it is.

Batch Size: 23.50 L
Boil Size: 30.99 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Ale - Golden Promise (5.0 EBC) Grain 42.19 %
1.80 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 37.97 %
0.45 kg Munich 1 (16.0 EBC) Grain 9.49 %
0.20 kg Carared (39.4 EBC) Grain 4.22 %
0.15 kg Crystal Malt Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 3.16 %
0.05 kg Caramunich I (90.0 EBC) Grain 1.05 %
0.05 kg Wheat Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 1.05 %
0.04 kg Pale Crystal (110.0 EBC) Grain 0.84 %
14.50 gm Simcoe [12.80 %] (90 min) (First Wort HopHops 26.0 IBU
8.00 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
12.00 gm Centennial [7.60 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -
12.00 gm Simcoe [12.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
12.00 gm Centennial [7.60 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
12.00 gm Centennial [7.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Simcoe [12.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [StartYeast-Ale

1.5 grams of Kpopperfloc at 10 min
Crash chilled to 3 Degrees C, Fined with Gelatine for 24hrs, Polyclar for 24 hours.

Cheers
Gavo.

15. Gavo - Bastardised Dogwood Pale (APA)
I haven't read anyone's comments on this one, but compared to Browndog's AIPA, I could drink a dozen schooners of this one. If I had to pick one style as my favourite beer, APA is it at the moment. Was such a good beer I had a rum and coke to follow - cos no other beer I had in my fridge would have been worthy to follow your effort ! Thanks

Wow and thanks, Will have to get the real Dogwood Pale out one day as I reckon it's far superior to this and getting better.

Cheers
Gavo.

I agree about your beer too Gavo. Really loved the flavour in this one, and was a little disappointed when the bottle was gone!

Cheers

#9 Browndog - Wolf Creek IPA - Had this one over the weekend and it certainly didn't disappoint! Loads of hop flavours with a nice malty backbone to balance it out nicely. For me this isn't a session beer yet I couldn't stop drinking it to make all my taste buds tingle over and over. The only real feedback I have for improvement was a very slight taste that I couldn't distinguish, to me I've had it from using vinyl transfer tubes but I'm not sure if it was exactly the same. Only a very minor taste mind you, this was still an outstanding beer overall.

Time to chill down a few others to try now that I'm on holidays finally!

Tried another couple of beers

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale
Mate I am quite fond of a dark beer or two but don't always like all of them. This one's a cracker, really enjoyed it and quite easily have a session on it. I have a mate who loves dark beers so I just might try that recipe out. For me it was well balanced on both the dark malts and the bitterness.

6. Stillscottish +keg Scottish Export 80/
Opened this one blind (didn't take notice of the number) and thought fantastic aroma, tasted great too, went down real well. Very smooth with just enough bittering to balance the malt, a good complexity of flavor all the way.

I am enjoying all the beer all the way.

Gavo.

14. Bradsbrew- ESB..... OK to go but drink it at at least 10 degrees

Sound advice Brad, nice malty sweet aroma that didn't come across until it warmed slightly, lovely floral hop aroma with a nice bitterness to balance the malt and slight caramel taste. I thought the beer was slightly sweet for style but really enjoyed the balance of malt and hops.
Nice color in the glass that was pleasing to the eye, I kept holding the glass up to the light it looked so good. Really nice foam that stayed for ages.

Nice beer Brad, thanks for sharing.

Andrew

14. Bradsbrew- ESB..... OK to go but drink it at at least 10 degrees

Sound advice Brad, nice malty sweet aroma that didn't come across until it warmed slightly, lovely floral hop aroma with a nice bitterness to balance the malt and slight caramel taste. I thought the beer was slightly sweet for style but really enjoyed the balance of malt and hops.
Nice color in the glass that was pleasing to the eye, I kept holding the glass up to the light it looked so good. Really nice foam that stayed for ages.

Nice beer Brad, thanks for sharing.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. You are right it is a bit sweet but I did try a Samuel Smiths nut Brown Ale on the weekend for the first time and this beer is very very similar. Will be making a slight adjustment next time.

Glad you enjoyed it :icon_cheers:

Brad

The Scientist Belgian Triple - Drink now but will only get better with age. Will need time to Floc if you want it clear.

Ok, I'm mulling over this one, I'm not too familiar with Belgian Triples but if this is a souped up version of a Belgian Strong Golden Ale I'm in love, this is sooo smooth and easy to drink, it's slightly sweet but finishes slightly dry, low hops and bitterness but it's balanced well with the malt sweetness.

It's a pale golden color with a fair bit of haze and the head laces like nothing I've seen.

On opening the bottle I had a whiff and thought this is a bit manky but after letting the bottle breath it came into it's own.

Awesome beer, add some oak chips and go to heaven.

What yeast did you use??

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew. You are right it is a bit sweet but I did try a Samuel Smiths nut Brown Ale on the weekend for the first time and this beer is very very similar. Will be making a slight adjustment next time.

Glad you enjoyed it :icon_cheers:

Brad

Ha, on first sample I thought Brown ale !!!, but the hops seemed a bit too much.
Nice drop, I wish I had another.

Cheers
Andrew

shit Andrew, are you drinking these now ??

If you are, I'm on my way over!!!

Qldkev

shit Andrew, are you drinking these now ??

If you are, I'm on my way over!!!

Qldkev

Maybe..... IF YOU COME OVER TOMORROW AFTERNOON AND PICK UP YOUR GRAINS, I'll save some for you.

How many hints do you need?

Cheers
Andrew

#6 Stillscottish Scottish Export 80/ - Not a style I'm familiar with but one I obviously need to look into a bit more. Initial pour is quite heavily carbonated and clarity isn't perfect, however as soon as you take a sip the minor flaws are quickly forgotten. Lovely malt flavour but not overly dominating with just enough hops to balance it. The finish seems reasonably dry considering the malt flavour, something of which I don't always get right in my brews. Very enjoyable beer Campbell, my "to brew" list has just gotten a bit longer now :)

18 GravityGurus ginger beer--
What a great refresher. Would totaly recomend this one to anyone wanting to make a ginger beer. nice bite and taste very similar to a Bundy GB the alchohol is well hidden although there is an everso slight artificial sweetener taste at the background but once again this is very very slight its a taste i easily pick up on in many things.

Top ginger beer Luke. Any left wouldnt mind sharing one with the family on chrissy :)

Cheers Brad

I stole a couple of bottle from AndrewQld's collection of bottles from the case swap; so will be providing feedback here.

16. daemon's English Brown Ale; A nice smooth beer, I found it to be malt driven. I was thinking it would be something more along the lines of a Newcastle Brown Ale, but this brown was more mellow on the bittering, which is why to me the malt stood out in dominance. The caramel was soft, but the chocolate flavors were clean. The bottle I had was undercarbed for its style, so it missed that typical creamy feel; and that may also be the cause the the lower hop notes, especially the bitterness. Overall a very nice brew.

4. BribieG's toucan Stout; The first thing you smell is the high alcohol level. I started with a cold beer for the type around 5 degrees, and wanted to taste the changes as it warmed up. At first taste there is a burnt coffee which I like for the style, that mellows quickly to be overcome by the alcohol, almost a fossil fuel taste. What temperature was this fermented at? The malt profile seemed a bit flat, not much complexity; and the hop schedule could have been stepped up a bit to help offset the alcohol. Possibly a maltier and hoppier brew that was aged could fix this up a lot. Overall it is not a beer that jumped out at me. Sorry Bribie, I was really looking forward to your beer, but this one is not to me style.

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale

Nice. First thought a stout (bloody dark) but as I went into this, this beer really showed its character. As a dark beer man, I really enjoyed this. Will monitor your recipe and probably make a version myself.

16. daemon - english brown ale

a favourite style of mine that few home brewers attempt. This was a good effort, while the head faded quickly, the flavours were fine. Nice session beer.

thanks for swapping lads, both A grade beers !

13.jlm-Hefe .....DRINK IT NOW!

This was a nice easy to drink beer, hazy and pale, just how I like them, very subdued hops and a huge big head that died to a thin foam that stayed to the end. I think the malt balance was good but my only complaint was a lack of carbonation, really nice easy to drink beer.

Andrew

Gavo - Bastardised Dogwood Pale (APA) Drink it now, It's already eight weeks old!

Come on Gavo, what are you doing, I'm not supposed to like the American hops!!!
Talk about a clear beer, this was crystal. Fruit salad on the nose when I cracked the bottle, smelt very nice with some orange marmalade and passion fruit as it warmed. Carbonation was a little high for the style but a good dense head laced the glass well. This was a little drier than most of these APA style beers I have tried but there was enough sweetness to counteract the bitterness.
I'm enjoying this bottle but one is enough for me, I'll be farting citrus in the morning.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,
I think one of the main tricks with this beer for flavour is the Wyeast 1272 and the temp management throughout the ferment, I have tried it with US05 and it is a shadow of this beer. I will have to try my last sample of this and compare with the keg I have just tapped today and see if I am getting over that dryness issue, I am sure this keg has just that little more body.

Cheers
Gavo.

Thanks Andrew,
I think one of the main tricks with this beer for flavour is the Wyeast 1272 and the temp management throughout the ferment, I have tried it with US05 and it is a shadow of this beer. I will have to try my last sample of this and compare with the keg I have just tapped today and see if I am getting over that dryness issue, I am sure this keg has just that little more body.

Cheers
Gavo.

Actually Gavo I don't think the dryness is an issue, I think it's part of what makes the beer really drinkable.
I wasn't pointing it out as a flaw, I think most APA's I've tried are TOO malty, yours seemed to balance nicely.

Andrew

Back