Qld Xmas Case Swap - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam, did you mean a lower mash temp to dry out the beer? Thanks for the comments on the AIPA. I certainly did use a lot of hops in it.

cheers

Browndog

Yeah thats what I ment, a lower mash temp for a more fermentable wort and thus a drier resulting beer.

Cheers for the pick up BD,

TS

P.S. got any more of that AIPA? :icon_drool2:

Yeah thats what I ment, a lower mash temp for a more fermentable wort and thus a drier resulting beer.

Cheers for the pick up BD,

TS

P.S. got any more of that AIPA? :icon_drool2:

Your in luck, I was going to give a couple of bottles to my butcher. They are yours.

-BD

Your in luck, I was going to give a couple of bottles to my butcher. They are yours.

-BD

Not that I want to deprive others from the experiance but Oooooooohh yeah, doin the happy dance :icon_chickcheers:

Maybe you should give at least one to your butcher <_< he'd better appreciate it :lol:

Cheers,

TS

I have tried a few beers over the past week or so, and I'm no BJCP judge, so forgive me for a lack of feedback.

Just cracked #9, Browndog's effort............ :icon_drool2:

This beer will definitely get me in trouble after the amount I've already consumed today, but I have to say, I cracked the bottle, and had a sniff, and just sat there for 5 minutes admiring the colour and clarity. Then I had a sip..... WOW. Amazing... Sure you won't share the recipe (fair enough!), but would love to know how you get so much hop flavour and aroma in your beers....bloody amazing mate! Will be savouring this one in the sticky heat this arvo!

Cheers

I have tried a few beers over the past week or so, and I'm no BJCP judge, so forgive me for a lack of feedback.

This beer will definitely get me in trouble after the amount I've already consumed today, but I have to say, I cracked the bottle, and had a sniff, and just sat there for 5 minutes admiring the colour and clarity. Then I had a sip..... WOW. Amazing... Sure you won't share the recipe (fair enough!), but would love to know how you get so much hop flavour and aroma in your beers....bloody amazing mate! Will be savouring this one in the sticky heat this arvo!

Cheers

Dry hopped with around 200gr Hops if my memory is correct.... :unsure:

Im holding off on my bottle until tomoz me thinks.....

:icon_cheers: CB

Dry hopped with around 200gr Hops if my memory is correct.... :unsure:

Im holding off on my bottle until tomoz me thinks.....

Wowsers, I can taste it to the core of my being.............. :icon_drool2:

Think I need to stock up on 1kg lots of US hops ASAP :)

Cheers!

Cheers

Glad you liked it Nick,

Here is the recipe.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Wolf Creek 09 AHB Swap
Brewer: Tony Brown
Asst Brewer: Jess
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (42.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 32.79 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 13.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 55.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (3.0 SRM)Grain 61.54 %
2.00 kg Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 30.77 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
30.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
30.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
35.00 gm Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
30.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (60 min) Hops 28.9 IBU
25.00 gm Simcoe [11.90 %] (20 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade [6.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
30.00 gm Centennial [9.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-StHops -
25.00 gm Simcoe [11.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops -
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Sodium Chloride (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs US-56 (Safale) [Starter 200 ml] Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.50 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.96 L of water at 80.4 C 66.0 C

Notes:
------
At 1018 rack and remove from fridge and add dry hops
24hrs at 20C
48hrs at 15C
48hrs at 10C
48hrs at 2C

no filter
gelatine to keg
force carb
let settle for 3 days
bottle

cheers

Browndog

NUMBER 9.......FROM BROWNDOG... :icon_drool2:

Very nice Tony, great clarity, piney, resiny and malty with a hint of alcohol..... This is a very nice beer mate, extremley well balanced and the bitterness really balances well with the Malt and Hops..... At least I really have something to compare against my AIPA in relation to Balance... This really has the same Hoppiness as my Barleywine and flavour in a sense...

Love it......

:icon_drunk: CB

Grabbed two fine brews from the fridge for Monday afternoon beer.

No.20 AIPA - Clean Brewer. Nice beer. Everything everyone has said previously is thoroughly deserved. It was a cracker and I'd have been proud to brew it. Will try to brew something like it soon !

No.18 Powderkeg GB - yep, made a mistake. Pulled it out of the fridge and just as I cracked it, thought ...............SHIT .. this is that ginger beer. Too late, have to drink it now ! So let me say, this is the best alcoholic ginger beer I have ever tasted. Smack in the mouth ginger jing, lovely flavour. Lovely sweetness. Not what I wanted but you delivered what was needed. Lovely.

Gees I haven't had a bad beer from the swap yet. Brilliant !

Edit : just found a few shards of ginger in the bottom of the glass ! Now that's class !

Not many left now,

21. 22. The Scientist - Belgian Triple
Cloudy gold, with a somewhat coarse generous head. Quite subdued aroma of sweet malt, candi sugar, and a faint hint of hopsack and spice. Surprisingly dry upfront and delicate before the sugary & typical Belgian horse blanket notes kick in. Quite dry and almost sharp finish. Maybe a touch thin? Good beer & highly drinkable in any case, not surprising it did well in comps (presuming it is the same recipe).
4. BribieG - Toucan Stout
(translated from drunken ramblings scrawled on a envelope late Friday)
Poured deep black with small tan head. Aroma dominated by roasted malt with hints of vegemite. Flavour is full rich roast malt, oily but quite bitter, with vegemite notes. The alcohol is quite well hidden until a burn starts at the back of the throat. It has a good smooth and surprisingly dry mouthfeel before a big bitter finish. Quite lethal at 9% and leads to drunken postings. I wasn't too keen on it at first, mainly because of the resemblance to (Coopers) toucan stouts I'd made in the past which always had a vegemite issue with me, but it grows on you and improves with a bit of warming. All that probably doesn't sound too inviting from the above ramblings but at the end of the glass I quite liked it.

Still all good so far B) .

NUMBER 9.......FROM BROWNDOG... :icon_drool2:

Very nice Tony, great clarity, piney, resiny and malty with a hint of alcohol..... This is a very nice beer mate, extremley well balanced and the bitterness really balances well with the Malt and Hops..... At least I really have something to compare against my AIPA in relation to Balance... This really has the same Hoppiness as my Barleywine and flavour in a sense...

Love it......

:icon_drunk: CB

Thanks CB, gives me a sense of achievement in that I've learned a thing or two about brewing when I read comments from beer lovers about my beer such as that.

cheers

Browndog

PS, it is all about balance.

18. GravityGuru - Powderkeg GB

First off, never, ever have I seen a Ginger beer that held a head, I've got 3 mm of nice foam on top, beautiful.
Aroma is all ginger and slightly citrusy, It's cloudy and a nice pale gingery color for want of a better description.
Taste is ginger up front and slightly sweet but well balanced, holy crap, there's more than just ginger in this surely, I've got some severe lip burn going on here that I usually only get from chillies.
This is a REALLY nice ginger beer, but keep well away form spiceaphobics.

Is there Chillie in here GG?

Nice beer GG

Andrew

No.18 Powderkeg GB - yep, made a mistake. Pulled it out of the fridge and just as I cracked it, thought ...............SHIT .. this is that ginger beer. Too late, have to drink it now ! So let me say, this is the best alcoholic ginger beer I have ever tasted. Smack in the mouth ginger jing, lovely flavour. Lovely sweetness. Not what I wanted but you delivered what was needed. Lovely.

Edit : just found a few shards of ginger in the bottom of the glass ! Now that's class !

Wow - thanks guys! :rolleyes: FYI Andrew, there is a couple of chillies in there, and it definitely does help in retaining the bitey finish of the GB. I'm a little surprised that it is drinking so well so early. This GB is bottle conditioned, and was only bottled about a week before the swap. After it carbs up a couple of weeks in, it is pretty explosive and over the top and is best drunk after about 6-8 weeks. By this time the flavours tend to integrate together better and some of the more obvious flavours (over the top ginger, the chilli and the fortified wine base) melt together and the GB becomes more balanced and cleaner. That and the alcohol tends to sneak up on you quicker... :icon_drunk:

This recipe is now up on the Recipe DB for those who are interested. BribieG, SR and a few others have been after this for a while, so go nuts guys! :beerbang:

Thanks CB, gives me a sense of achievement in that I've learned a thing or two about brewing when I read comments from beer lovers about my beer such as that.

cheers

Browndog

PS, it is all about balance.
No worries BD, I hope to dive deeper into that Brewing mind of yours.... :rolleyes: You've helped me alot so far... ;)

Ok, back to formalities, Number 19-Gavos APA...

A very drinkable beer, I could drink quite alot of these, up front bitterness with a bready/biscuity following, it has a dry finish but I think is lacking a little in the Hop presence... A few hops and this would be a top drop IMO... Beer seems quite clear, unfortunately I dropped the bottle yesterday and stirred up some goodies...

Good work Gavo, order some hops though.... :p

Got through a couple so far this week. Cleanbrewer's AIPA, I was drinking a Brewdog IPA when I read the earlier post about there being a similar hop flavor, so in the interst of comparative research I went to the fridge.... And sure enough quite similar in the hop flavor. More prominent in your beer CB, and thats not a bad thing. After this and Browndogs entry a big american IPA is working its way up the to brew list. Great work!

Came home looking for something a little different today, so Fatz's beer it was. I've never really thought that chillie has a place in beer, but I quite liked this. Could pick up a little smoke, and got the chillie on the lips straight away. Strangely enough (I think anyway), the chillie became more pronounced as I got through the beer. I would have thought that the pallete would get used to it and it would be less noticeable. Any more chillie and for me it would have become a bit too much, but I think where it was is bang on for my tastes. Only suggestion I'd have would be perhaps mash a tad higher, maybe get a bit more malt coming through (Could be one of those beers that everyone has a differnt opinion on). And a nice deep red colour to boot. Very pleasantly surprised with this beer Fatz, probably not something I'd want a whole batch of, but if you offered me another I'd snap it up in a second.

Ah my edit time limit is up. Being a Dragon Ale Fatz, after drinking it I felt like performing well all season but choking when the pressure was on. Can't believe I nearly forgot that.

Well, I must say, I am very impressed with the quality of the beers in the case so far. In no particular order

JLM

JLM.jpg

FGZ

FGZ.jpg

Campbell

Campbell.jpg

And Gavo, a cracker mate, I must see the recipe.

Gavo.jpg

Cheers

Browndog

Ah my edit time limit is up. Being a Dragon Ale Fatz, after drinking it I felt like performing well all season but choking when the pressure was on. Can't believe I nearly forgot that.

After acquiring a sack of Weyerman Rauch malt early in 2009 I have attempted to make a series of smoked beers that were "themed" when case swaps were around. Sadly, most have failed to reach my expectations and found the sink rather than the throat. This was the first to get the chilli treatment at bottling so possible bottles some got a tad more than others. Remember anyone who got a non black lid (white, yellow or blue) got the non chilli version.

I felt the brew was sadly a true reflection of the Dragons 2009 season. Looked the goods, a bit of fire in the belly, but the beer doesn't get there as a premiership winner. If I had more plastic bottles I would have gone a second batch to see if I could get a bit more oomph in it. Next year.

I would enjoy to drink this on a cold Wollongong night at WIN Stadium watching the Dragons trash the Broncos, far better than the Carlton mid strength I was forced to consume last time I was there.

I'd wouldn't mind seeing the recipe if possible Fatz. I brewed a couple of smoked porters over winter but wasn't really happy with either smoke wise. I'm a fan of smoked beer and hadn't considered a smoked red ale until drinking yours. I'm starting to think with the weyerman rauch, using a bit more than you think will be appropriate is the go. I'm also contemplating Tony's DIY smoking approach when I get around to doing one.

Just finished Stillscottish's export 80/
Not a style I have a lot, more likely any experience in, but I enjoyed this beer a lot. Seemed mostly about the malt, with a nice dry malty finish, not cloying in any way. Mine seemed pretty carbed up, but that was nothing to complain about, I let it sit in the glass a bit and warming up did it no harm either.

And just looked up the style on the BJCP site, ticked the boxes in my opinion, I didn't get any smoke (which I would have liked). Very enjoyable drinking!

Haven't come across a beer I didn't like yet, either I'm a cheap night out or there's some good beers in this batch.

Back