Qld Xmas Case Swap - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last one from me.
GG's Powderkeg GB
This is the first Ginger Beer I've ever seen holding a head (and it lasts longer than most CUB products). Quite deliciously complex and refreshing - good as always mate. Best recovery drink going.

Im a bit slack on drinking my Beers but had a couple the other day....

11. Frogmans Banana Wheat Beer - Im really sorry but I couldnt enjoy this at all mate, it was my 1st Beer for the afternoon and I seriously didnt even drink it all... :ph34r: Not sure if it was a dodgy bottle or not, but it had no carbonation, too sweet, no head and I couldnt get any nice smells out of it at all... :( I seem to be able to taste the Kit Beer taste these days and it just didnt work for me sorry...
I had this beer at the Xmas Case Swap and enjoyed it if I remember correctly mate.... Sorry....

12. Hennos Budvar - As I did at the REcovery Session, I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and know nothing about the Style, I thought it could have been Carbonated a little more and I seem to think I was picking up some Ginger aswell, all the same, this was very much enjoyed.... ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

No offence anyone....

3. Scoundrel Rogues Green Bullet Ale - Just drinking this now and I am not real sure what to make of it, not familiar with Green Bullet Hops and would like to know what yeast has been used, holds a Great head with lacing all the way down the Glass, bitterness seems mouth puckering but also has some Malt to back the bitterness up a bit... I could drink more of this..... Would really like to see the Recipe for it to get a better understanding...... Not bad for 1st AG(kicked Halfwitsfixs arse) Where in hell has that Ranga gone to????? Doesnt matter anyhow.....

Has anyone else some feedback on this Beer?????

I've still got a few to go CB including the GB ale, I'll try and get back with some reviews tonite.

Winkle, I reckon that Ginger beer was a 2IPA class ginger beer, it had real kick.

cheers

Browndog

cheers CB the last bottle that winkle and i cracked early december was a bit oxidized but thanks all we did was change the hopping regime a bit and lose some of the malt., done on US-05, my net at home has shat itself, so im using the work computer will go now before it has another heart attack.cheers scoundrel.

The Scientist Belgian Triple - Drink now but will only get better with age. Will need time to Floc if you want it clear.

Ok, I'm mulling over this one, I'm not too familiar with Belgian Triples but if this is a souped up version of a Belgian Strong Golden Ale I'm in love, this is sooo smooth and easy to drink, it's slightly sweet but finishes slightly dry, low hops and bitterness but it's balanced well with the malt sweetness.

It's a pale golden color with a fair bit of haze and the head laces like nothing I've seen.

On opening the bottle I had a whiff and thought this is a bit manky but after letting the bottle breath it came into it's own.

Awesome beer, add some oak chips and go to heaven.

What yeast did you use??

Cheers
Andrew

Cheers Andrew,

The yeast was Wyeast 3787 Belgian High Grav. Great yeast

Glad you enjoyed it :icon_cheers:

Liam

Finally some more feedback from me, my box of swap beers is starting to look nearly empty now!

10. Winkle's Rounds-Rapid Triple - Interesting aroma, fairly subtle yet the complex Belgian flavours clearly come though. The taste has hints of orange and I really didn't get the alcohol taste I expected for the strength (9.5%!). It was lovely to drink and it would be deadly to have on tap. It's such as smooth brew that the wheels would fall off the wagon very quickly (to steal Winkle's expression :)). I really need to brew a few more Belgian ales, only one so far based off the last case swap beer I had from Winkle.

4. BribeG's Toucan Stout - I wanted to like this one because of the strength and simplicity, but to be honest it was a bit underwhelming. It's been a while since I'd had a kit based beer and as much as I don't want to sound like a beer snob, it wasn't up to the AG level of flavour and depth. I've tasted a few RIS style brews that were AG and they were more to my liking. Still, given the choice if BribeG's toucan or Tooheys the choice is still quite clear :)

14. Bradsbrew ESB - Loved this one, could really do with a keg of it right about now! Slightly sweet, malty finish with a lovely amount of hop aroma (EKG and Stryian?) and flavour for the style. I'm a fan of a good ESB and this really fit the bill, I'd be interested in the recipe if you had it handy :) Again, why haven't I got a keg of this here right now? :)

Point taken Daemon, actually the comments from the couple of comps I entered the stout in were generally "lacks malt", and I've decided that next time I do it, and yes there will be a next time B) I'll replace the kilo of LDME with a 2k mash of BB Ale - will work nicely in the urn as a half volume mash, and boil out with the hop addition in the last ten minutes. Hmmm.......... Xmas in July swap ? :)

StillScottish,

Great 80/- mate, hard for me to give much feedback which could possibly improve what you have achieved. Simple things like colour adjustment and a higher mash temp to dry out the beer are the main things which could score you a few extra points in a comp. This beer gave all the main attributes which I was looking for in accordance with the BJCP guidlines while drinking.

Great job :super:

View attachment 33480

Cheers,

TS :icon_cheers:

A belated "thanks" for the feedback. I really appreciate the scoresheet as it gives me something to work on for the next incarnation.
I only wish I could describe beer in words other than good, bloody good and shite!

Well, I must say, I am very impressed with the quality of the beers in the case so far. In no particular order

JLM

View attachment 33593

FGZ

View attachment 33594

Campbell

View attachment 33595

And Gavo, a cracker mate, I must see the recipe.

View attachment 33592

Cheers

Browndog

Thanks for the review Tony.
When I bottled it, there was a lot of citrusy aroma from the dry-hopping but that seems to have faded quite rapidly to give the peaty note. The test batch had a bit more late hops and different amounts (bit vague here coz the recipes are at home) and that gave a very grassy/earthy note.

Was your comment about Roast Barley anything to do with the half sack now sitting in my garage? :p

Drinking Campbells beer now and absolutely enjoying it to the max, dont know shite about this style but this is one nice beer, I fully go along with BD's comments on this Beer and Campbell, I would really like to make this.... :icon_drool2: RECIPE perhaps???????????? :huh:

God, what am I going to do now, Ive spoilt my tastebuds with this and nothing is going to match it here in style.....

Thanks Campbell, very nice...

:icon_cheers: CB

Here you go.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Case swap scottish bottle
Brewer: Campbell
Asst Brewer:
Style: Scottish Export 80/-
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.44 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.10 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1.79 %
3.50 kg Pale Malt Pilsner (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SGrain 62.50 %
1.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 26.79 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 8.93 %
5.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
14.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (60 min)Hops 3.4 IBU
12.50 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (60 minHops 11.7 IBU
10.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (15 minHops 4.7 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (0 min) (AroHops -
0.87 gm Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
8.70 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 13.00 L of water at 72.6 C 64.0 C

Efficiency was down because the mill gap was a bit wide.

I wanted to use Styrian Goldings for the dry hop (as per the example I was working towards) but only had EKG.

I've gone back to using Gelatin to see if that will help with clarity issues I've been having recently and one of these days I'll use some of that Polyclar sitting on the shelf.

Enjoy

14. Bradsbrew ESB - Loved this one, could really do with a keg of it right about now! Slightly sweet, malty finish with a lovely amount of hop aroma (EKG and Stryian?) and flavour for the style. I'm a fan of a good ESB and this really fit the bill, I'd be interested in the recipe if you had it handy :) Again, why haven't I got a keg of this here right now? :)

Thanks Daemon glad you enjoyed it! No point having a keg of it though mate, I found that it evaporated in the keg ;) . I will have a look around for my piss poor notes and try and find the recipe.

Brad

Point taken Daemon, actually the comments from the couple of comps I entered the stout in were generally "lacks malt", and I've decided that next time I do it, and yes there will be a next time B) I'll replace the kilo of LDME with a 2k mash of BB Ale - will work nicely in the urn as a half volume mash, and boil out with the hop addition in the last ten minutes. Hmmm.......... Xmas in July swap ? :)

That should work better. Hmm maybe some choc wheat as well?

Here you go.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Case swap scottish bottle
Brewer: Campbell
Asst Brewer:
Style: Scottish Export 80/-
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 30.44 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.10 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1.79 %
3.50 kg Pale Malt Pilsner (Barrett Burston) (2.0 SGrain 62.50 %
1.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 26.79 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 8.93 %
5.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -
14.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (60 min)Hops 3.4 IBU
12.50 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (60 minHops 11.7 IBU
10.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.50 %] (15 minHops 4.7 IBU
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (0 min) (AroHops -
0.87 gm Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
8.70 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.60 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 13.00 L of water at 72.6 C 64.0 C

Efficiency was down because the mill gap was a bit wide.

I wanted to use Styrian Goldings for the dry hop (as per the example I was working towards) but only had EKG.

I've gone back to using Gelatin to see if that will help with clarity issues I've been having recently and one of these days I'll use some of that Polyclar sitting on the shelf.

Enjoy

Thanks mate...

I tried a few over my holiday, when I remember what they were, ill make some comments... :icon_cheers:

CB

Wow, people are still enjoying their swap beers. Mine were some of the best beers I have ever imagined....

Wow, people are still enjoying their swap beers. Mine were some of the best beers I have ever imagined....

Well, I'd like to say mine will have improved immeasurably with the extra time, but its probably be stored in the Manshedtm at 45 C for the last few months :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back