Qld Xmas Case Swap - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just drinking a bottle with a 14 on a round green sticker on the lid. It is supposed to be Bradsbrew oatmeal stout, but tastes suspiciously like a Southern English Brown Ale, Brad did you do any of these? Nice beer who ever made it.

cheers

browndog

I'm just drinking a bottle with a 14 on a round green sticker on the lid. It is supposed to be Bradsbrew oatmeal stout, but tastes suspiciously like a Southern English Brown Ale, Brad did you do any of these? Nice beer who ever made it.

cheers

browndog

Yep Tony that is mine was a an ESB/ Southern Brown.

Cheers

11. FROGMAN Banana Wheat Beer

Nice beer on the pour, great head that lasted to the end of the glass, but strangely didn't lace too well.
Slight banana esters with no hop aromas I could perceive, malt on the nose that was quite distinct with a sort of extract malt backbone, sorry Frogman I don't know your brewing style, is this extract?
Esters surfaced more as the beer warmed.
Fairly clear for a wheat but I can't get past that malt taste which is not quite to style.

Never the less it went down well watching the cricket.
Thanks for the beer.

Andrew

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale

Some nice subdued roast malt on the nose with very little choc malt aroma :super: . This smells great and to style.
Bitterness to malt was spot on, the beer finishes on the malty side in the mouth but is not dominated by the dark grains.
Clarity was not all that good with a bit of haze diminishing the presentation in the glass but this is sooo close to the dark ale styles here in Australia it's awesome. I don't know what this beer ended up as but if it could get down to <1.008 it would cut the malt after taste and be perfect to my taste buds.

Awesome beer NickB, I'd love to have this on tap any chance of the recipe?

Andrew

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale

Awesome beer NickB, I'd love to have this on tap any chance of the recipe?

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback mate! This was my second attempt at this beer, with my first still my favourite. I ran out of a couple of spec. malts for my swap batch and had to substitute.

Original recipe is as follows:

Recipe: Aussie Dark Ale
Style: 12A-Porter-Brown Porter

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 30.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG
Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG
Expected ABV: 5.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 23.6
Expected Color: 23.0 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt 4.300 kg (89.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.250 kg (5.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 0.250 kg (5.2 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Australian Super Pride (15.1 % alpha) 12 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Koppafloc 1 g used In Boil

Yeast: DCL US-56 SafAle American Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out

The batch I swapped had the following grain bill.

Fermentables
Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt 4.300 kg (89.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Chocolate Malt 0.140 kg (2.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.110 kg (2.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa II 0.025 kg (0.5 %) In Mash/Steeped

First batch was almost perfect to my palate, as it dried out to about 1.009 I believe, colour was spot on and the bitterness was just about right.

Cheers

Fatz's Dragon Ale- Mate unfortunately this one had a dodgey lid or seal. Grabbed it out of the fridge and the lid was loose and the beer was as flat as..............well something really flat. It was a different type of pet bottle than I am used to didnt have the plastic seal thing but has a solid ring thingy cant see how it would seal and it obviously didnt. Was looking forward to ya beer fatz but oh well thems the breaks and I am sure I will at some stage.

15. Gavos APA... Currently drinking this one and apologise for my discription. Has great aroma and flavour. There is a particular umm reseny piney flavour which is good but something is missing perhaps it is a lack of body and the dryness that makes it seem a bit unbalanced. I am enjoying this beer and would enjoy a few more but if I have to give constructive critisism I would say perhaps bring up the mash temp to build the body and maybe the hop combo could be adjusted. Is a good beer Gavo well done mate.

Cheers Brad

Thanks for the feedback mate! This was my second attempt at this beer, with my first still my favourite. I ran out of a couple of spec. malts for my swap batch and had to substitute.

Original recipe is as follows:

Recipe: Aussie Dark Ale
Style: 12A-Porter-Brown Porter

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 30.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG
Expected OG: 1.050 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG
Expected ABV: 5.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 23.6
Expected Color: 23.0 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt 4.300 kg (89.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.250 kg (5.2 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Australian Super Pride (15.1 % alpha) 12 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Koppafloc 1 g used In Boil

Yeast: DCL US-56 SafAle American Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name: Single Step Infusion (66C/151F) w/Mash Out

The batch I swapped had the following grain bill.

Fermentables
Australian BB Traditional Ale Malt 4.300 kg (89.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Chocolate Malt 0.140 kg (2.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 0.110 kg (2.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa II 0.025 kg (0.5 %) In Mash/Steeped

First batch was almost perfect to my palate, as it dried out to about 1.009 I believe, colour was spot on and the bitterness was just about right.

Cheers

Thanks Nick, I have it in beersmith now, appreciate your sharing the recipe.

Cheers
Andrew

+1 Nick.
I'll get round to brewing one after the C-Hop calibration brews are done :beerbang:

No dramas fellas! :) All my "to brew" recipes are now on the backburner, as I have at least three "how many ******* hops can I fit in a beer" brews to do with my ChinaHops :)

Cheers!

PS: Stick with the original as it was far superior in my opinion. Maybe even up the bitterness a bit, as was my aim, but my HERMS seems to get me awesome efficiency pretty regularly :D

Well, I must say, I am very impressed with the quality of the beers in the case so far. In no particular order

JLM

View attachment 33593

FGZ

View attachment 33594

Campbell

View attachment 33595

And Gavo, a cracker mate, I must see the recipe.

View attachment 33592

Cheers

Browndog

Drinking Campbells beer now and absolutely enjoying it to the max, dont know shite about this style but this is one nice beer, I fully go along with BD's comments on this Beer and Campbell, I would really like to make this.... :icon_drool2: RECIPE perhaps???????????? :huh:

God, what am I going to do now, Ive spoilt my tastebuds with this and nothing is going to match it here in style.....

Thanks Campbell, very nice...

:icon_cheers: CB

Had a few over the last week but forgot to provide instant feedback. Sorry if my feedback is a bit shorter than normal, too much work stuff in-between trying to take up brain cells.

#20 Cleanbrewer: Lovely flavour with a blend of hops and tasted fairly balanced overall. It's certainly different to your "leftovers" IPA that you had on keg at the last swap from memory but still just as enjoyable. Clarity wasn't perfect, not sure if it was the amount of hops or part of the brewing process. There also seemed to be some by-products from the fermentation that I could taste, which could also be related to the clarity. Of course I'm no expert when it comes to this yet either myself, but I'd say it either needed a slightly bigger starter or more yeast to be pitched. Only minor detractions from the beer overall through, like all of your beers I've tasted they've still been excellent and I'd never say no to a pint or 10 :)

#1 NickB: Nicely to style, a smooth drinking dark ale that I'd consider a great "bridging" beer for those who don't drink dark beers. Everything was balanced well without any one particular flavour jumping out. Compared to Tooheys Old I'd say that it didn't quite have the same roast flavours coming through, however it wasn't watery like Toohey's version so that's a definite plus. After seeing the recipe I like the fact that it's so simple, this would be a great brew for newcomers to AG brewing.

Also, who's bottles had the silver label on top? The number has worn off on mine and although a blind taste test sounds good I want to provide feedback :)

21. The Scientist belgian tripel. I dont care if this beer is to style or not but it is an ABSOLUTELY F##CKING FANTASTIC BEER!!!!!
Sorry for the lack of feedback at this stage Liam but mate for me this is the best beer of swap. Will finish it off and try my best for constructive feedback. but at this point dont change a thing.

Cheers Brad

Cheers Daemon, another A.I.P.A ill be refining, still good comments and its all feedback to help develop my beers, I think Ill be halting fermentation a little sooner to balance it out a bit or mashing a little higher... Or tweaking recipe a little... Or building a fecking HERMS to make my life easier.... ;)

This was a Beer I had just put together after reading Stone Bros write up on there Beers suggesting using different Hops than just "C" Hops.... First time I brewed it and pretty happy with results so far, like everything, something to work on.... :D

:icon_cheers: CB

Time to put your Beer in the Fridge....

21. The Scientist belgian tripel. I dont care if this beer is to style or not but it is an ABSOLUTELY F##CKING FANTASTIC BEER!!!!!
Sorry for the lack of feedback at this stage Liam but mate for me this is the best beer of swap. Will finish it off and try my best for constructive feedback. but at this point dont change a thing.

Cheers Brad

Ok after almost finishing this beer I have sipped it whilst reading the BJCP for 18C.
Aroma: Is spot on
Appearence: Colour is good but clarity is cloudy, is not quite effervescent as could be and lasting head is non existent.
Flavour: The lack of carbonation is all that could be critisized.
Overall Impression and comments: Mate this beer has really impressed me and the only floor I could find was the lack of head and carbonation and to be honest I had to read through the BJCP guideline to find something I could critisize but really I think its tops. Great work. Hope you have more? Recipe???????????

Cheers Brad

Had a few over the last week but forgot to provide instant feedback. Sorry if my feedback is a bit shorter than normal, too much work stuff in-between trying to take up brain cells.

#20 Cleanbrewer: Lovely flavour with a blend of hops and tasted fairly balanced overall. It's certainly different to your "leftovers" IPA that you had on keg at the last swap from memory but still just as enjoyable. Clarity wasn't perfect, not sure if it was the amount of hops or part of the brewing process. There also seemed to be some by-products from the fermentation that I could taste, which could also be related to the clarity. Of course I'm no expert when it comes to this yet either myself, but I'd say it either needed a slightly bigger starter or more yeast to be pitched. Only minor detractions from the beer overall through, like all of your beers I've tasted they've still been excellent and I'd never say no to a pint or 10 :)

#1 NickB: Nicely to style, a smooth drinking dark ale that I'd consider a great "bridging" beer for those who don't drink dark beers. Everything was balanced well without any one particular flavour jumping out. Compared to Tooheys Old I'd say that it didn't quite have the same roast flavours coming through, however it wasn't watery like Toohey's version so that's a definite plus. After seeing the recipe I like the fact that it's so simple, this would be a great brew for newcomers to AG brewing.

Also, who's bottles had the silver label on top? The number has worn off on mine and although a blind taste test sounds good I want to provide feedback :)

That would be my AIPA with the silver top!

OK, this post is written without knowing the particular numbers of who's beers I've consumed over the past few days, but I do know the beers and who brewed them, so here goes...

11. Frogman's Banana Wheat Beer

The beer in the bottle didn't do the beer in the keg justice. The beer I sampled on Swap night was fresh, flavoursome and drinking brilliantly. The beer I had in the bottle suffered because it was filled from a keg, and also because the style demands the beer should be drunk fresh and unfortunately I have left my run at this beer a tad too late. I'm a fan of this beer because it is a K&K based beer. IMHO brewing should be accessible to anyone who wants to turn out a tasty brew in whatever manner they decide to persue, and this beer delivers. The methodology is simple (a kit, some dextrose, a couple of mashed up bananas in a stocking, the right amount of water and some wheat yeast) and it turns out a tasty drop. AndrewQLD's comments about colour and lack of lacing are valid, but for the beer it is I think it is a great base beer to point a beginner brewer towards. This brew will get a run at the So... Buttons! brewery before the end of summer....

CB's 4/8 AIPA

On drinking this beer, I recalled the words uttered in my ear by Jim Azotea, who was a judge at the BABB's Annual comp, is a brewer from New Jersey USA and was asked to judge the American Ale class for the BABB's annual club comp. His overall impression was that the beers he tasted had overused hops instead of getting their water chemistry right to bump up the "perceived bitterness" of the beer. One of the indicators of this is a a resinous taste that comes through in the beer, and this is what I got with the 4/8 AIPA. I'd say that the water chemistry (wrt Ph and using carbonates rather than sulphates to achieve this) combined with dialling back the hop regime would improve this. Having said that, the Leftovers AIPA on the keg I tried of yours was a completely drinkable beer that I am sure will make it's way onto the "To brew" list at some stage. The difference between the two was that you could have one or maybe two of the 4/8, whereas the Leftovers was a VERY sessionable beer. Enough said...

Bradbrew's Northern Brown

I liked this beer, but the only ?-mark I had about it was the hop levels - this beer seemed to be a bit too over-the-top wrt to it's hoppiness for the style. I would have expected that the hops would have provided more of a background flavour to the beer rather than having a pronounced flavour/aroma impact. I managed to source some bottles of Sam Smiths Nut Brown Ale, and this difference between the SS NBA and the swap beer is like comparing a traditional English IPA to a feral American IPA. Maybe you've come up with a new style Brad - an American Northern Brown Ale? Better use an American C-hop for bitterness next time just to make the style description more pronounced... :icon_cheers:

BribieG's Toucan Headbanger Stout...

OK, so I've had this beer before a couple of times... The Bottle I have just consumed isn't from the swap but it is the same beer. I'm also trying to remember the details about the previously consumed beer from three or four days ago after having a couple of glasses of red over dinner (heresy, I know... ), and then having consumed a longneck of BribieG's finest as a night-cap :ph34r: . But the reality is this...

F&*! it is a good drop! :beerbang:

Anyone who can make brewing simple and can turn out a beer that is the equal or superior of what one can buy off the shelf at their local bottle-o is an absolute star. BribieG would have to be the master at this, and his swap beer is a classic example of the care, love and skill he brings to the art of brewing. Sure, someone can claim to brew a better AG stout that would score an extra point or two over this effort but I am quite happily trashed on this atm and I could give a fat rats clacker about anyone who wants to argue the toss about the fact that this is a kit beer. I'd be a happy man if this was the olny beer I could drink between now and meeting my maker because I wouldn't have to put up with mega-swill crap, and I'd be certain of the result wrt flavour and the net result regarding my innebriation. Which reminds me, I am up way pst my bed time on a school night.

Good night world, this has been the ramblings of GravityGuru.

PS - Chappo, if you are looking for your dodgy Chinese hops, you'll find them where you left your pants. ;)

Ok after almost finishing this beer I have sipped it whilst reading the BJCP for 18C.
Aroma: Is spot on
Appearence: Colour is good but clarity is cloudy, is not quite effervescent as could be and lasting head is non existent.
Flavour: The lack of carbonation is all that could be critisized.
Overall Impression and comments: Mate this beer has really impressed me and the only floor I could find was the lack of head and carbonation and to be honest I had to read through the BJCP guideline to find something I could critisize but really I think its tops. Great work. Hope you have more? Recipe???????????

Cheers Brad

Wow, cheers for the praise Brad :icon_cheers:

Glad you enjoyed it. Here is the run down if you'd like to make it yourself:

Triple - Karmeliet Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.083 Plato: 19.94
Anticipated SRM: 5.6
Anticipated IBU: 23.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90Min

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.8 0.25 kg. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
2.8 0.25 kg. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
22.2 2.00 kg. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium 1.037 3
44.4 4.00 kg. Pilsener Belgium 1.037 2
5.6 0.50 kg. Munich Malt Belgium 1.038 8
13.9 1.25 kg. Wheat Malt Belgium 1.038 2
8.3 0.75 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Horizon Pellet 10.90 12.3 60 min.
20.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 5.40 9.3 40 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.10 2.3 10 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
15g Corriander Seed - Fresh Crush Spice Last few days of fermentation (Boil for a couple of min before adding to brew).
15g Sweet Orange Peel - Dried Spice Last few days of fermentation (Boil for a couple of min before adding to brew).
5g Irish Moss Fining 45 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Wyeast 3787 Belgian High Grav

Mash at 63 deg for 90min to give a more fermentable beer and start the ferment temp at 20deg and ramp it up over about 5 days to finnish as high as 25deg if needed to reach a FG of around 1.016

Cheers,

Liam :beer:

16. Daemon - English Brown Ale DRINK NOW

Arh I like following instructions - poured a nice red/brown clear body with a tan head. Quite enticing aroma - toffee, brown sugar, biscuit malt, toast and a hint of molasses. Flavour (pretty similar ) - but - rich burnt sugar note up front, quickly followed by a touch of brown malt action and a tickle of nuttiness to follow. I'm enjoying this rather at lot despite the bitter hit right up front, that sems to mellow over time and temperature. Now I'd know buckleys about this style, but
1) it improves as it warms and,
2) perceived bitterness faded with time.
I wanted more when its still 30 C at 10 pm - good beer mate!

6. Stillscottish Scottish 80/- ish.
Pours a nice amber/gold with a quickly compacting head (Mary Queen of Scots ,anybody?) despite having a generous level of carbonation. Really is a bit of a WOW beer -, toffee, biscuit, sweetish highland malt - battle with a high level of carbonation, resulting in a good sessionable beer that points out the gaping omissions in the BJCP styles. Good session drinker, good beer all up, BJCP needs a kick in the nuts. Hoots mon!

Edit - if falling off the wagon, its the style with witch you do it that matters :unsure:

That would be my AIPA with the silver top!

Hoooo waahh - cracked this beauty on Thursday night. About a kilo of hops in it ! This is not the sort of beer I would like a dozen schooners of, but was the most perfect choice of tipple after an ordinary day. Have not had enough beers of this type to offer any comment other than thansk you sir, loved it.

11. Frogman's Banana Wheat Beer
Much better than the beer you had on tap at Sqyres. Took me a while to work out what I was drinking (I like going in blind when tasting case swaps) at first thought APA but quickly recognised the wheat characteristics. Let everyone else recommend their changes, all I say that its a pity I didn't have a second bottle on hand. Very enjoyable, thanks.

15. Gavo - Bastardised Dogwood Pale (APA)
I haven't read anyone's comments on this one, but compared to Browndog's AIPA, I could drink a dozen schooners of this one. If I had to pick one style as my favourite beer, APA is it at the moment. Was such a good beer I had a rum and coke to follow - cos no other beer I had in my fridge would have been worthy to follow your effort ! Thanks

Latest posts

Back