Qld Xmas Case Swap - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really! so what hops did you use ?

cheers

Browndog

First Wort Hops with Northern Brewer, Galena & Chinook...

All late hops from 20min on were Willamette, US Tettnanger and Cascade....

Mixed bag really... :unsure:

:icon_cheers: CB

20. Clean Brewers AIPA. Mate this is another great beer. I did pick(guess) the Northern Brewer(probably main bittering hop?) and the chinook (did you use this later as well?) . Alchohol stands out in this one behind malt then hops. This would probably stand well inbetween an IAPA and an APA if that makes sense. But a bloody nice beer in its own rights if not trying to style it.

Cheers Brad

Had a few over the weekend, 1st of all
17. Henno's Budvar. Very nice hoppy and very clean pilsener. For my tastes, I'd probably back off on the hops a fraction to let a bit more malt come through, but its a minor quibble with what is a very well made beer. Was perfect for kicking back on another hot afternoon.
Followed that up with
9. Browndogs IPA, another top beer. Well balanced all round. Nice malt up front with plenty of yankee hop flavor (I'm a bit crap at picking certain varieties but is there a bit of amarillo in there?) and a pleasant lingering bitterness. I haven't had many yankee IPA's before but after brewing my first (DC's Rye IPA at the swap) and trying this I think I'll have to brew a couple over the holidays. A bit more satisfying than your stanard apa for me.
And currently halfway though
1. NickB's Aussie Dark. More good beer. I think I'd agree with winkle's comment about upping the bitterness a tad. Still a very drinkable beer.

I'm yet to come across a beer I don't like, maybe it's just my beer I'm having issues with lately?

17. Henno - Budvar

I had some of this around at Chappo's at his Xmas Case Swap recovery session (why you need a recovery session when you only stayed half the time I am not sure, but then again after my SOFT effort I should not be the one to talk...), and I have just cracked my bottle now. The colour and clarity of this beer is AMAZING, and the fine carbonation lends itself well to the style. I can't taste the malt in this bottle as well as I could in my previous glass, but the hoping is superb. It gives a really crisp, clean taste but doesn't dominate. If anyone wanted to brew a Budvar clone, it would be a big ask to create something superior to what Henno has offered us up here. Well done big fella! :beer:

10. Winkle trippel. Mate a slight banana ester up front is soon given the **** off by the malt and alchohol following. Without knowing better i would not think its a 9.5 % beer. probably shouldnt have drank this one whilst playing Wii with the girls. really happy with this one Perry and would pay the $ these beers fetch for this one. Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Brad

Thanks jlm and GG. The fact this beer turned out well is a bloody miracle. I started with a smack pack of 2000 that was well over a year old and somehow got it to fire up. This went into a single batch that turned out quite bland, then I realised as my saaz was over a year old as well. As was only 2.2% AA when I got it I decided to ramp it right up for the double batch that was pitched straight onto the yeast cake of the single. 52g of Northern brewer for 80mins and 170g of saaz for 20mins. This is Zwickel's timing regime so I followed it. Upping the hops was my idea.

Thanks jlm and GG. The fact this beer turned out well is a bloody miracle. I started with a smack pack of 2000 that was well over a year old and somehow got it to fire up. This went into a single batch that turned out quite bland, then I realised as my saaz was over a year old as well. As was only 2.2% AA when I got it I decided to ramp it right up for the double batch that was pitched straight onto the yeast cake of the single. 52g of Northern brewer for 80mins and 170g of saaz for 20mins. This is Zwickel's timing regime so I followed it. Upping the hops was my idea.
Sounds a bit like what I went through with a (bland) pils recently, although I didn't get to do a second batch. Again, well done.

17. Henno's Budvar. I dont know what happened here but I got the taste of smoked suasage, maybe bacon with this beer??????? More like a Rauchbier for me. Had me searching for budvar but nothing matched what was in this bottle. Dont get me wrong I did enjoy this beer after looking at the glass several times and sniffing the bottle. Henno I think chappo may have slipped one of his Rye beers into your case?

Brad

17. Henno - Budvar

I had some of this around at Chappo's at his Xmas Case Swap recovery session (why you need a recovery session when you only stayed half the time I am not sure, but then again after my SOFT effort I should not be the one to talk...), and I have just cracked my bottle now. The colour and clarity of this beer is AMAZING, and the fine carbonation lends itself well to the style. I can't taste the malt in this bottle as well as I could in my previous glass, but the hoping is superb. It gives a really crisp, clean taste but doesn't dominate. If anyone wanted to brew a Budvar clone, it would be a big ask to create something superior to what Henno has offered us up here. Well done big fella! :beer:

Had a bottle of Henno's Budvar last beerday (Friday), a bloody cracker of a Pils and very much to style. GREAT beer Henno, think I sent you a drunken review by PM, but since I don't tick the keep a copy box, I really don't know. Do remember that the bottles of yours and CB's were bloody good. Keeping the TTL for next beerday :lol:

Screwy

First Wort Hops with Northern Brewer, Galena & Chinook...

All late hops from 20min on were Willamette, US Tettnanger and Cascade....

Mixed bag really... :unsure:

A mixed bag indeed and a couple I have not used before.

A mixed bag indeed and a couple I have not used before.

I took a little hint from Stone Brothers, they basically suggested to break away from the C hops and go for others so thats what I did.... ;)

Only brewed it once but will work on it aswell, if I get it tweaked that'll be 2 A.I.P.A's in the bag hopefully and Ill be happy..... :beerbang:
20. Clean Brewers AIPA. Mate this is another great beer. I did pick(guess) the Northern Brewer(probably main bittering hop?) and the chinook (did you use this later as well?) . Alchohol stands out in this one behind malt then hops. This would probably stand well inbetween an IAPA and an APA if that makes sense. But a bloody nice beer in its own rights if not trying to style it
Thanks Brad, this is the same Beer I gave you when we met at the Matilda when I picked that Grain up, the alcohol prob comes through as its at 7%, I seem to get massive attenuation, I think I may have to mash a little higher like my "Leftovers A.I.P.A" to bring it down a little and balance out the bitterness(as per BD's comments).... This beer wrecks me when I drink it.... :chug:

Finally cracked a few bevvys after dinner with the old man.

AndrewQLD - Clarks' sparkling ale, thought it was almost bang on for a coopers sperkling ale, but to my pallete i think it needs a little more bittering, good beer man.

Frogman- Banna wheat beer, Nice bannana esters at about 7 deg. C. i enjoyed it more as it warm up a bit, i had alot of this off keg at case swap and i have to say i liked it better off keg. proof thta you can make good beer on a kit.

Henno - hennos' budvar, first thing that hitme was a big whack of grapefruit, beautifully clear, i could put away 1 or 6 of them after a long day at work, a nice easy drinker. what exactly is a budvar?

10. Winkle trippel. Mate a slight banana ester up front is soon given the **** off by the malt and alchohol following. Without knowing better i would not think its a 9.5 % beer. probably shouldnt have drank this one whilst playing Wii with the girls. really happy with this one Perry and would pay the $ these beers fetch for this one. Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Brad

Head retention is a bit of a problem with the beer - and the drinker, be careful if drinking this and the BribieG or Liam offerings in the same sitting :icon_drunk:
(ie me Saturday nite)

Grabbed a random bottle last night to chill and lucky number 1 was AndrewQLD's Sparkling Ale. Just enjoying a glass of this now and after a typical Monday workday it's going down a treat. Very nicely balanced, a very slight malt sweetness which is balanced by the bitterness and esters perfectly. In previous posts you mentioned possible accidental use of MO and this could be the case. It's certainly more golden in colour and sweeter than the Coopers Sparkling yet a very nice beer in it's own rights. I'd be happy to drink this all night, just a shame I only have one bottle and I need to go to work the next day!

Going to select the next bottle for sampling in a tic, I have a horrid suspicion that many won't be around at Xmas time if they're all this good!

Random selection from the fridge here too. A quick check tells me its Gavo's Dogwood APA.

Got smell of something familiar to me initially, B saaz maybe? Nice deepish amber colour, there's another hop in there I'll have a stab in the dark and say amarillo? Thought it could use a bit more aroma for an APA, and there was something on the finish that was a bit astringent or perhaps it was too much bitterness, I couldn't decide. A decent quaffer that was let down a bit by whatever it was that was bugging me on the back of the palette.

Random selection from the fridge here too. A quick check tells me its Gavo's Dogwood APA.

Got smell of something familiar to me initially, B saaz maybe? Nice deepish amber colour, there's another hop in there I'll have a stab in the dark and say amarillo? Thought it could use a bit more aroma for an APA, and there was something on the finish that was a bit astringent or perhaps it was too much bitterness, I couldn't decide. A decent quaffer that was let down a bit by whatever it was that was bugging me on the back of the palette.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yep that was a bit of a throw together malt wise as I had run out of a lot, and had to go on the fly, Didn't even write it all down. I have been using about 40% of MO Floor malted with that which gives a bit of a biscuit character, I have dropped that in my latest and I reckon its better, maybe what you couldn't nail. Still trying to lower the bitterness a little however you are off on the hops, lets see if anyone else can guess before I give it away, once again not exactly what I have been developing with that beer. Yeast = Wyeast 1272.

Cheers
Gavo

4. BribieG toucan Stout. Michael your a bloody madman, that is one potent brew. I think I may need to strain the remainder of the bottle through a loaf of bread. man that is hhardcore stuff! :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers Brad

4. BribieG toucan Stout. Michael your a bloody madman, that is one potent brew. I think I may need to strain the remainder of the bottle through a loaf of bread. man that is hhardcore stuff! :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers Brad

You know when you are hurting for a drink, and you want to get that rush NOW, not after six or seven drinks but NOW to knock the rough edges off the ******* of a day you have just had and then after a few minutes the world suddenly seems a more mellow place and you get that "AAAAHHHH" feeling.

BribieG toucan guaranteed :icon_drunk:

You know when you are hurting for a drink, and you want to get that rush NOW, not after six or seven drinks but NOW to knock the rough edges off the ******* of a day you have just had and then after a few minutes the world suddenly seems a more mellow place and you get that "AAAAHHHH" feeling.

BribieG toucan guaranteed :icon_drunk:

Yep hear what ya saying mayte.

12.AndrewQLD - Coopers Sparkling Ale

On cracking the bottle, a lovely estery aroma burst from within the bottle. I felt compelled to share with SWMBO, and we both knew we were in for a treat. The colour and clarity were spot on. The head was there but wasn't too persistent, as per how it should be. Upon consumption, there was a pronounced malt base that I reckon outdoes the Traditional version. The thing I noticed was that the ester flavour component was very prevalent, and I'm not sure if that was necessarily the intention. While I enjoyed this beer, I wouldn't necessarily have thought that the ester/yeast flavour component should have dominated the beer like it did in my bottle. If I were to make this beer (and it will be on my "To-do" list at some stage) I would want the estery-ness to be a bit more balanced in relation to the rest of the beer.

Thanks for this beer Andrew - both your Sparking and Pale Ales will be getting a run through the So Button's brewery before the summer is out!

Back