Qld Xmas Case Swap - Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could have been mine not Andrews big fella.

14. should be my ESB bordering on a southern brown and fits in with ya colour and sweetness comments :icon_cheers:

Andrews has a label on the bottle.

Cheers Brad

OK back to bed now :icon_vomit:

No, not yours Brad - right bottle, Wrong number ! Clark's Sparkling Ale - lovely lable Andrew. No, loved the beer - just drunk a mate's Coopers K & K and then washed it down with AC's effort. From start I thought its a poor " clone" but a farking nice drop as is. If meant to be a Coopers clone, then 3 out of 10. If meant to be an easy drinking sparkling ale, then up there Cazaly .. noice one. Is your Stout ready for consumption - in fridge for later.

No, not yours Brad - right bottle, Wrong number ! Clark's Sparkling Ale - lovely lable Andrew. No, loved the beer - just drunk a mate's Coopers K & K and then washed it down with AC's effort. From start I thought its a poor " clone" but a farking nice drop as is. If meant to be a Coopers clone, then 3 out of 10. If meant to be an easy drinking sparkling ale, then up there Cazaly .. noice one. Is your Stout ready for consumption - in fridge for later.

Glad you noticed the label FG, although I did get them online so I can't take any credit.
That particular brew finished slightly higher than usual, 1.010 instead of the 1.008 I usually get. Having said that it's interesting you say it was too dark, it's 11 EBC which is a little less than Coopers report their sparkling ale as (12 EBC) so it shouldn't have been over the mark.
I haven't opened a bottle yet to try as I sent them all down for the case swap, when I get mine I'll have a look.
I hope i didn't use the marris otter malt in this by mistake :huh: .
Not to worry, so long as it's drinkable.

Cheers
Andrew

Glad you noticed the label FG, although I did get them online so I can't take any credit.
That particular brew finished slightly higher than usual, 1.010 instead of the 1.008 I usually get. Having said that it's interesting you say it was too dark, it's 11 EBC which is a little less than Coopers report their sparkling ale as (12 EBC) so it shouldn't have been over the mark.
I haven't opened a bottle yet to try as I sent them all down for the case swap, when I get mine I'll have a look.
I hope i didn't use the marris otter malt in this by mistake :huh: .
Not to worry, so long as it's drinkable.

Cheers
Andrew

People will enjoy it, take my word for it. Not amber, bordering golden. Malty sweet .. a favourite flavour of mine. If I made this myself, I'd keep all bottles and brew something else for the proles. Thanks Mate !

3068 baby, only way to fly! :ph34r:

I actually used 3068, just like 3638 better.

Anyway, tried Daemon's entry last night, another nice beer. Well balanced malty ale with a slightly roasty finish which seemed to work well with the slightly restrained (I mean that in a good way) use of the TT yeast. Made me keep going back for more. Good work!

Thanks for all the feedback gents, really chuffed that you've enjoyed the brew. RdeVjun I have another bottle sat aside for you, and another for some feedback on a mild I've brewed :)

Thanks for all the feedback gents, really chuffed that you've enjoyed the brew. RdeVjun I have another bottle sat aside for you, and another for some feedback on a mild I've brewed :)
Oh sweet, too good to be true! Thanks mate, I'd be only too happy to guzzle your brews... err, make that provide feedback! :chug:
Ha ha, suck eggs the rest of you case- swapping plebs, I might just get two bites at the cherry!! :p

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale - sch(Porter)
2. Chappo - Wheat Rye I have been working on
3.Scoundrelrogue (Green bullet Ale, winkles brew day and my 1st AG)
4. BribieG Stout Toucan 9% NiggaJuice ..... ready to drink anytime.
6. Stillscottish Scottish 80/- ish..... Just bottled so give it a couple of weeks at least
9. Browndog - Wolf Creek IPA (the version the Judges have asked for)
10.winkle - 9-Rounds-Rapid Triple ......Ok now - much better in one month
11. FROGMAN Banana Wheat Beer.....Bottled from keg....DRINK IT NOW....
12.AndrewQLD - Coopers Sparkling Ale ..... Ready to drink
13.jlm-Hefe .....DRINK IT NOW!
14. Bradsbrew- ESB..... OK to go but drink it at at least 10 degrees
15. Gavo - Bastardised Dogwood Pale (APA) Drink it now, It's already eight weeks old!
16. Daemon - English Brown Ale
17. Henno - Budvar..... Ready to go, it was brewed in August.
18. GravityGuru - Powderkeg GB
19. Fatgodzilla - Dragon Ale (red, smoky, hot!)
20. Clean Brewer "4/8 A.I.P.A" Ready to Drink now or give it a little time
21. The Scientist Belgian Triple - Drink now but will only get better with age. Will need time to Floc if you want it clear.

Ploughed thru a few last nite

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale

Good beer Nick, for some reason I was never happy with my attempts at this style but you have nailed it. The only comment or suggestions I'd make was that for my palate it was slightly sweet. Maybe a touch more bittering hops and mash a degree lower?
9. Browndog - Wolf Creek IPA (the version the Judges have asked for)
Great and hoppy! Drank it at about 12 last nite after hoovering down a pile of saisons - luckly I retained half the bottle for a sane assessment today :icon_cheers:
17. Henno - TTL
Great looking beer, tasted pretty damm good as well. My only quibble would be that the sweet finish detracted from an otherwise good beer.

Not a bad beer yet (crosses fingers).

Had a few today all in the name of research. Not the best at describing so bare with me.

12. AndrewQLD's Sparkling. Top beer had some initial banana which soon dissappeared. the balance of malt and bitterness was spot on for me. Would be a great house beer. Expect a knock on the door next time i'm in bundy.

13. JLM Hefe. Dont know this style too well but this is a nice beer what I initially thought was a hint of phenolics right in the end at the back of the pallete is more likely clove?? Enjoyed it.

9. B diddy dog's AIPA. Mate this beer took me right back to the 2008 chrissy swap. Hoppy, malty and bitterness the bitterness overid the hops but i suppose they should in an IPA. Really enjoyed this beer Tony could have knocked over a couple more.

11. Frogman banana wheat beer. Aroma hits you from a sniff of the bottle, banana. Colour was darker than I expected and this beer is clovey but well balanced. Once again not too familiar with this style but is a nice beer.

Cheers Brad

Ploughed thru a few last nite

1. NickB - Aussie Dark Ale

Good beer Nick, for some reason I was never happy with my attempts at this style but you have nailed it. The only comment or suggestions I'd make was that for my palate it was slightly sweet. Maybe a touch more bittering hops and mash a degree lower?

Thanks Perry. I was a bit disappointed with this beer going into the bottles (about 4 weeks ago), but it seems to have come right :) Thanks for the comments, for whatever reason (HERMS?) I'm regularly overshooting my target efficiency, so my bittering is suffering a bit. Will be aiming for more bitter in the the next few batches, as you've said my beers need it, and Chappo commented in the same way about my Ozzie Lager (wiv Wice) as well :)

Yet to crack any of the swap beers, as I'm finishing off the keg of (sch)Porter this evening, and playing with my font.... :icon_cheers:

Cheers!

Too much playing with your font could make you blind :ph34r: .
I think lifting it 2/4 IBUs would do the job or just drop mash temp slightly, its really not far off.

Just finished BrownDogs effort - bloody nice mate, even smoothed over the Roar's loss.
Now on to the Froggy beer.....

Got some of my case in the fridge chilling now, realling looking forward to trying them out. I think I'll put a dent in them around lunchtime tomorrow. Thanks for the comments Brad and Perry, would you believe there is 300g of hops in that beer!

cheers

Browndog

[snip]

13. JLM Hefe. Dont know this style too well but this is a nice beer what I initially thought was a hint of phenolics right in the end at the back of the pallete is more likely clove?? Enjoyed it.

[snip]

Clove flavour results from Phenols, so you are probably right on the money with either description.

11. FROGMAN Banana Wheat Beer.....Bottled from keg
Not bad at all Frogman, quite banana-y, big head, pretty clear body quite sweet finish. I remember drinking a fair bit of this at the Swap (or possibly not, you know how it was).
14. Bradsbrew- ESB
Quite enjoyed this Brad, yeah its sweet but at a warmish temp it didn't bother me too much. Great colour, lasting head with good lacing - seemed to drink itself.
19. Fatgodzilla - Dragon Ale (red, smoky, hot!)
Black cap BTW, deep red/brown, malty, smokey, with a touch of chilli. I've been planning to brew something like this for a while now (more chilli and smoke though). Fatz, lets talk :icon_cheers:

18 - GG's Powderkeg GB. Because this is a bottle-conditioned GB, it has only just carbonated. I cracked one of the left over swap bottles today and it has just enough fizz to be drinkable. If you do drink it now it has a heavier, fortified wine depth to it (due to the White Port and Sweet Sherry that I soaked the 750g of fresh ginger in for about 36 hours... :rolleyes: ) but the longer you leave it, the lighter and zingier the flavour becomes.

I'd recommend that people put their bottles in the fridge at some stage on Xmas Eve, and crack it at whatever point on Xmas arvo/evening that you feel yourself starting to feel a bit weary palate-wise. It has a real kick that livens things up and gets you firing again, but beware - it is quite strong and too much can lead to a premature end to the evening... :party:

I intend to start consuming a few of the swap beers sooner rather than later - stay tuned for some more reviews...

GG

OK Gents, I've opened my account with two good beers, NickB's Aussie Dark and CB's AIPA.

Nick, your review is here

NickB.jpg

CB, yours is here, I originally thought the beer had been bottle condtioned, but then it occurred to me you could have bottled from a keg and I got the last bottle to be fillled. Just finishing off my glass and I can see a lot of floaties in the bottom of the glass, the bitterness I spoke of seems to have dissapated too, could be the alcohol kicking on though, enjoyed the beer none the less.

Jody.jpg

cheers

Browndog

NickB. Aussie dark ale. Great example of how an aussie dark should be, if anything it could do with some more roasted and perhaps a little more body but thats me and that would take it away from style. Well balanced, didnt last long in the glass. was a dark that went down easily in the heat.
Tops

Brad

Cheers BD,

No Centennial or Simcoe in it though mate, this is the Brew I put in the QABC(not specifically brewed for it) and scored about the same from memory and got 4th from 8... It was bottle conditioned and no finings were used, something I have to start doing but not a biggie for me ATM... ;)

Really appreciate your feedback though mate.... :D

:icon_cheers: CB

Cheers BD,

No Centennial or Simcoe in it though mate, this is the Brew I put in the QABC(not specifically brewed for it) and scored about the same from memory and got 4th from 8... It was bottle conditioned and no finings were used, something I have to start doing but not a biggie for me ATM... ;)

Really appreciate your feedback though mate.... :D

:icon_cheers: CB

Really! so what hops did you use ?

cheers

Browndog

Back