Qld Xmas In July 2007 - Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. winkle - Smokey IRA - bottled 19/6/07, drink it now big boy.
2. Screwtop - Klsch - Bottled 30 Jun 2007, drink after 01 Sep 2007
3. SQYRE -Caps Lock Porter
4. Jye - American Rye, Ready to drink but a bit of cold conditioning may help the appearance.
5. Browndog - American Amber Ale Get into it now
6. FNQ Bunyip - A Smoked Porter///Cant remember when I bottled, seems Ok now, might be slightly undercarbed,, try it anyway ..
7. InCider - Captain's Daughter Porter Bottled 220707 serve cold and wet after 010907
8. Bonj - Pilsner
9. bconnery - Dark Mild - Good now but could age another couple of weeks.
10. TidalPete - Scottish 80/-. Drink me now
11. Frogman - K&K APA. Bottled 17/06/07. Ready to drink anytime.
12. Chad - Witbier
13. Mothballs - AAA. Keg conditioned good to drink now.
14. Stillscottish - Belgian Brown (Rochefort 8 attempt) Bottled 17/4/07. Should be ok now but leave a few weeks if you want.
15. Zizzle - Schwarzbier - bottled 24/7/2007
16. Tyred - Pale Ale - Should be fine for immediate consumption.
17. NickB - Very Ordinary Bitter. Ready to drink (yes it's carbed LOW), consume at cellar temps for best result!
18. Fixa - Bourbon Vanilla Porter: Bottled 14/7/07. Leave for a few more weeks yet.
19. Berp - Dry Stout - ready now - filled from a keg

17. NickB - Very Ordinary Bitter. Ready to drink (yes it's carbed LOW), consume at cellar temps for best result!

Thought I'd start with this one as it needed less time to get to drinking temp :)

Colour: beautiful amber, good clarity too.

Carbonation level is great.

Nice flavour a little but I'm picking up something that seems out of place.

I would say that this beer might be a little highly hopped, or else a tang from something that isn't quite right.

My pour did have some floaties but I put that down to me deciding to not be too careful with the pour, but perhaps my bottle had something...

My taste buds might not be in the best state for constructive criticism right now, but I do find the balance in this beer a little out. If I'm wrong then apologies for telling you something is wrong with your beer when it isn't Nick...

Mind you, the tang is fading as the beer gets lower too...

I think we should get the recipe thread going, as I'd be curious to know what I'm picking up here, and whether I'm just wide of the mark...

Thought I'd start with this one as it needed less time to get to drinking temp :)

Colour: beautiful amber, good clarity too.

Carbonation level is great.

Nice flavour a little but I'm picking up something that seems out of place.

I would say that this beer might be a little highly hopped, or else a tang from something that isn't quite right.

My pour did have some floaties but I put that down to me deciding to not be too careful with the pour, but perhaps my bottle had something...

My taste buds might not be in the best state for constructive criticism right now, but I do find the balance in this beer a little out. If I'm wrong then apologies for telling you something is wrong with your beer when it isn't Nick...

Mind you, the tang is fading as the beer gets lower too...

I think we should get the recipe thread going, as I'd be curious to know what I'm picking up here, and whether I'm just wide of the mark...

Couldn't agree with you more mate. I believe you'll get a few floaties in the bottles, as I was stuggling to get enough to fill the 19 needed. Think I got a bit of break or something in there.

And the taste, well, who knows. Chalk it down to me being a pretty piss-poor brewer at this stage, and my stupidity for using the first brew from my new setup.....

Anywho, All feedback welcome for sure. I know it's not the best, heck, might not even be able to class it as a bitter....Still pretty ordinary though. Don't say I didn't warn ya!!!

Cheers

Nick

Couldn't agree with you more mate. I believe you'll get a few floaties in the bottles, as I was stuggling to get enough to fill the 19 needed. Think I got a bit of break or something in there.

And the taste, well, who knows. Chalk it down to me being a pretty piss-poor brewer at this stage, and my stupidity for using the first brew from my new setup.....

Anywho, All feedback welcome for sure. I know it's not the best, heck, might not even be able to class it as a bitter....Still pretty ordinary though. Don't say I didn't warn ya!!!

Cheers

Nick

Nick mate, You should find, I hope at least, that these tasting threads are never about rubbishing a beer, but saying how we found it and hopefully finding ways we can all learn more about this game.

Although there were things I found to be out about this beer there were also good points, colour and clarity, floaties aside, and the carbonation level too.

Don't consider yourself a piss-poor brewer, just one who is learning, as we all are!

I might start the recipe thread so put yours in there too, and put in as much as you can about method etc too...

Cheers

Ben

Yeah, definitely not having a go at you for the review at all! I just tend to rubbish my own stuff a fair bit......

Cheers

Nick

Yeah, definitely not having a go at you for the review at all! I just tend to rubbish my own stuff a fair bit......

Cheers

Nick

Fair enough. Many if not most of us our are our own harshest critics!

OK, added the recipe to the recipe thread.

Cheers

Nick

16. Tyred Pale Ale

Dark. So dark in fact that I went back to double check the lid number. Not saying this is a bad thing I just wasn't expecting it.

Nice creamy head that is retained all the way down the glass. Carbonation level spot on.

Nice malt background with a hop bite that is nice without being at the level of many tried that night...

Very very drinkable. Has a hint of sweetness to it as it warms up but not in an overpowering way.

Nick mate, You should find, I hope at least, that these tasting threads are never about rubbishing a beer, but saying how we found it and hopefully finding ways we can all learn more about this game.

Although there were things I found to be out about this beer there were also good points, colour and clarity, floaties aside, and the carbonation level too.

Don't consider yourself a piss-poor brewer, just one who is learning, as we all are!

I might start the recipe thread so put yours in there too, and put in as much as you can about method etc too...

Cheers

Ben

Want to echo what Ben has to say above. For the newbs, what we all expect of each other is good honest responses to our beers. Each one is valid, and there are never any real surprises, we have tasted our beers and sometimes we need to hear about them in someone elses words. Made a beer that I thought was really close to a commercial example recently, was happy with the result but there was something boring about it. A new brewer gave me his opinion which was that is was pretty much "a flat liner of a beer", nothing jumped out and grabbed you. He was spot on, I knew that, but in an effort to clone a beer I was looking for comparisons to the real deal. It's a nice beer, but a bit ho-hum. Your beers will be good, your future beers will be better.

4. Jye - American Rye, Ready to drink but a bit of cold conditioning may help the appearance.
6. FNQ Bunyip - A Smoked Porter///Cant remember when I bottled, seems Ok now, might be slightly undercarbed,, try it anyway ..
7. InCider - Captain's Daughter Porter Bottled 220707 serve cold and wet after 010907
8. Bonj - Pilsner
12. Chad - Witbier, Bottle conditioned, drink it now while it's fresh.
14. Stillscottish - Belgian Brown (Rochefort 8 attempt) Bottled 17/4/07. Should be ok now but leave a few weeks if you want.
18. Fixa - Bourbon Vanilla Porter: Bottled 14/7/07. Leave for a few more weeks yet.

8. Bonj - Bohemian Pilsner - filled from keg - lagered 4 weeks in keg. Drink whenever you want
12. Chad - Witbier, Bottle conditioned, drink it now while it's fresh.

Battle of the American Amber Ales (Browndog Vs Mothballs)

Browndog

Apperance - Beautiful deep amber and excellent clarity. A aggressive pour was needed to produce a head which fades away to a creamy layer.

Aroma - Up front hops (late addition but not dry hopped?) over the caramel which is the way I like it. Aroma is typical of citrus/resiny hops.

Taste - Perfect carbonation, slight alcohol but this is expected at 6.6%. Sweet caramel coats the mouth but is not cloy and is balanced by the bitterness.

Overall - Great example of the style but my preference would be to dry it out just a little which would make it moreish, at the moment the flavour lingers a bit to much for me. Reminds me of eating wagyu steak and drinking AAA at the 152 :beerbang:

Mothballs

Apperance - Crystal clear amber but not as dark as Browndogs. The glass is a flood with bubble which form a more fluffy merengue head (pour slowly and carefully).

Aroma - Oh man thats good, reminds me of caramel lollies and I love it. Possible slight honey/honeycomb (centennial or possible diacetyl?).

Taste - The balance is more towards the hops than malt and reminds of centennial/cascade. The higher carbonation helps to make it drier and it lacks the caramel present in the aroma.

Overall - Very easy to drink but more of an APA than a AAA.

OK, back on the wagon tonight.

First up - 12. Chad - Witbier, Bottle conditioned, drink it now while it's fresh.

Firstly, never been a massive fan of the old Wit, but recently have started to aquire a bit of a taste for them

This example pours with a nice, fluffy white head, that lasts for a while, before forming a small, tight white head on top of the beer that lasts till the bottom of the glass.

Definitely smells like a wheat beer, and I get a small amount of alcohol in the aroma, although the sample I'm having is just below room temp, with the other sitting in the fridge chilling as we speak.

Flavour brings, what is to me, a nicely balanced beer. No overwhelming corriander, like in some examples I've had. Hop flavour is fairly low, but I guess that is to style, and suits well.

All up, a nicely made beer! Might even tempt me to try a few more examples of the Wit next time I get the chance, and even give it another go myself (last effort tasted OK, but fermented too high, and turned out being nearly 7%! Hangover city!!!!!)

Cheers

Nick

Tonight:

#1. Winkles Smoked Irish Red

Appearance - Poured with good head, lasted well, great clarity and carbonation, a beautiful red amber colour.

Aroma - Loved the slightly peaty aroma, not sure of authenticity, but to my mind early Irish beers would have had a peat aroma from peat fired malting kilns. I liked the aroma with just a hint of malt/cara.

Taste - Carbonation good, good mouthfeel and bitterness.

Overall - I liked this beer very much, the little touch of peat smoke was offbeat but the beer was really well balanced.

#10. Tidal Pete's Scottish 80/-

Appearance - Poured with light head which faded, tried a fresh glass and had a better result, very clear, nice colour, to style.

Aroma - Yeast to the fore, slightly malty but to style.

Taste - Carbonation low, served this at 8c, good mouthfeel and bitterness.

Overall - Scottish 80/- sometimes taste a little sweet to me but this was not too sweet. Very much to style.

Battle of the American Amber Ales (Browndog Vs Mothballs)

Browndog

Apperance - Beautiful deep amber and excellent clarity. A aggressive pour was needed to produce a head which fades away to a creamy layer.

Aroma - Up front hops (late addition but not dry hopped?) over the caramel which is the way I like it. Aroma is typical of citrus/resiny hops.

Taste - Perfect carbonation, slight alcohol but this is expected at 6.6%. Sweet caramel coats the mouth but is not cloy and is balanced by the bitterness.

Overall - Great example of the style but my preference would be to dry it out just a little which would make it moreish, at the moment the flavour lingers a bit to much for me. Reminds me of eating wagyu steak and drinking AAA at the 152 :beerbang:

Mothballs

Apperance - Crystal clear amber but not as dark as Browndogs. The glass is a flood with bubble which form a more fluffy merengue head (pour slowly and carefully).

Aroma - Oh man thats good, reminds me of caramel lollies and I love it. Possible slight honey/honeycomb (centennial or possible diacetyl?).

Taste - The balance is more towards the hops than malt and reminds of centennial/cascade. The higher carbonation helps to make it drier and it lacks the caramel present in the aroma.

Overall - Very easy to drink but more of an APA than a AAA.

Sorry Jye I may have overdone it with the carbonator cap just a little :D

Tidal Pete

Pops' Scottish 80|-

Appearance - Lovely dark brown, coffee coloured highlights. Standout clarity.

Carbonation - A wee hiss on opening, no head. Will check glass was washed correctly (Mrs InCider and her dishwasher)

Aroma - SFA: I have a cold :-( , but none expected with this style.

Taste - Aye yum! Firm maltiness, with defined aftertaste. Excellent bitterness.

Overall - A beer to my taste Pete, reminds me of the Newcastle Broon, and much appreciated. A lower viscosity than I would have liked, especially following the excellent "Hey Porter!", but I could neck a few of these if I had an invite! Great work Pete. :D

InCider.

Edit: My Daughter was scared of your label. "Bad scary sharks Daddy!". My Son said "You're so cool Daddy." I told him a mate of mine made it. "He's so cool Daddy!" He said.

Nick B's

Very Ordinary Bitter

Appearance - Honey Brown. Hazy, but no chunks. Sorry Moose! :)

Carbonation - No head, bubbles rising, small rim of white bubbles forming as the top.

Aroma - Sexy. I loved this off your "Roundup" keg and think it's the business. With hops, I also

subscribe to the "metric handful' method. It's apparent at the pour, then fades somewhat. Whack more

in the keg?! :)

Taste - Nice bitter bite, love the Chinook!

Overall - This is well above "very ordinary" Nick. The hops carries on down the palette long after

the aroma goes, so it maintains the calibre down the whole glass. A tasty session beer. Rock on

Nick, I hope to brew with you and a few of the Brewerhood one day. :D

Label - At first, my daughter said it was a crane, then sang "Happy Birthday to You". Nearly three and off her rocker! :blink:

Hmmm, Chinook you say..... Sorry to say, but no! Used First Gold, Kent Goldings & Styrian Goldings. Recipe is up in th Xmas in July recipe thread....

The party keg brew didn't have Chinook either...that was all Amarillo!

You still drunk InCider.....? :beerbang: If not, HTFU.

And would love to brew with you and ther other guys sometime soon as well.... I'm just up the road mate.... Bring beer, stay away from the door.... :ph34r:

Hmmm, Chinook you say..... Sorry to say, but no! Used First Gold, Kent Goldings & Styrian Goldings. Recipe is up in th Xmas in July recipe thread....

The party keg brew didn't have Chinook either...that was all Amarillo!

You still drunk InCider.....? If not, HTFU.

And would love to brew with you and ther other guys sometime soon as well.... I'm just up the road mate.... Bring beer, stay away from the door....
yeah yeah - the 'other' chinook, Amarillo!

I can't stand too far from the door - even if it's a meth lab! :D hahahaha! :ph34r:

Still finishing it mate and it's the bomb. Love the chinook hops. :p

InCider.

PS. Sqyre slept with you after me! :D

PS. Sqyre slept with you after me! :D

Oh.....Dear......

Does anyone remember as little as me :blink: lol....Think it was that shot of the bloody green shit....That's where my memories end!

Back