Qld Xmas In July 2007 - Case Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here go's , never haveing reviewed a beer they will be short and sweet . I don't have much of a palate , how could I smoking White Ox..
The Brew Wench shares my case so she will give her own opinions later..

1. winkle - Smokey IRA - bottled 19/6/07, drink it now big boy.

I got a nice head on my glass and it was clean looking .
Mild aroma , couldent find the smoke.
drank very smoothly , could ezy come back for another..
Don't know shit about styles , but its a great beer.

Cheers :beer:

5. Browndog - American Amber Ale Get into it now

Nice fizz on opening , poured with a nice head , but diden't last .
aroma was a nice smell and gave encouragement to get into it.
Taste was a bit over the top for me , Sorry Tony I was happy to share this one.
I'm sure its a good beer, just not my style of flavor..

:beerbang:

Ned

3. SQYRE -Caps Lock Brown Water Porter

Both the Brew Wench and I are porter fans.

Small Phtt on opening and only a light head.
Good smooth aroma. Seems well balanced to my taste as well.
This was a very moreish beer last night by the fire
wasen't to happy with only getting a glass and a half,
well done buddy..

:party:
Ned

After a few AFD's to let the liver start functioning again, I cracked a few bottles with a mate last nite,
19-Berp- Dry Stout
Pours a serious deep black with minimalist head. Aroma is simply rich chocolate. Flavour - again chocolate malt all the way, light mouthfeel, light carbonation, balance seems to be spot on. Reminds me of Monteiths Black, largely one dimensional but in this case thats all good. Mate has demanded that I reproduce this in keg form for his bar.
11-Frogman- APA
Poured a bright gold until the dreggs turned up, big head with active carbonation. Aroma - grapefruit and lychees and plenty of them. Quite spritzy on the tounge with "bright" citrus (& apricot?) flavours with a faint malt presence followed by a bitter/sweet finish. Mate, I take down my trousers and salute - well done - just touch up the malt presence a bit. (PS - not really a K&K is it)
8-Bonj-BoPilz
Poured a bright gold with a little haze and some floaters, minimal head. Aroma was largely subdued but did open up gradually. Flavour is good, true to style with a pleasing mouthfeel and good balance with a light bitter finish. Add a few more late addition hops for aroma and you'll be on the money- but its a good drinkerr right now. Couldn't taste any car tyres at all :p

8-Bonj-BoPilz
Poured a bright gold with a little haze and some floaters, minimal head. Aroma was largely subdued but did open up gradually. Flavour is good, true to style with a pleasing mouthfeel and good balance with a light bitter finish. Add a few more late addition hops for aroma and you'll be on the money- but its a good drinker right now. Couldn't taste any car tyres at all :p

Thanks for the review Winkle. Yeah, sorry about the floaters... obviously didn't clear as well as I'd hoped... A little bit of S-189 never hurt anyone :ph34r:

Hmmm.... I seem to be having troubles with my Carbonator cap.. as so far my bottles have hardly had a Bubble by the sounds of it... :eek:

Interesting.. <_<

I often use my carb cap for doing 1.25 pepsi bottles which are normally like a small nuke going off when i open them later...I even shook the crap out of the case swap beers for an extra 30 seconds to be safe..

Strange... i have some of the bottles left over might have to do some experiments..

Sqyre... ;)
EDIT: Oh and sorry about the amount in the bottles too..i had a little splillage and was worried about getting the 19 bottles done...

Hmmm.... I seem to be having troubles with my Carbonator cap.. as so far my bottles have hardly had a Bubble by the sounds of it... :eek:

Interesting.. <_<

I often use my carb cap for doing 1.25 pepsi bottles which are normally like a small nuke going off when i open them later...I even shook the crap out of the case swap beers for an extra 30 seconds to be safe..

Strange... i have some of the bottles left over might have to do some experiments..
Sqyre... ;)
EDIT: Oh and sorry about the amount in the bottles too..i had a little splillage and was worried about getting the 19 bottles done...

Was that spillage down the throat? :p

11-Frogman- APA
Poured a bright gold until the dreggs turned up, big head with active carbonation. Aroma - grapefruit and lychees and plenty of them. Quite spritzy on the tounge with "bright" citrus (& apricot?) flavours with a faint malt presence followed by a bitter/sweet finish. Mate, I take down my trousers and salute - well done - just touch up the malt presence a bit. (PS - not really a K&K is it)

It is a K&K. Worse still its a Black Rock Pilsner, 1kg dex, US56 and 60gms hops.

If only I could remember which hops it was (made two batches side by side using different hops).

Fermented at 18 for 2.5 weeks, chilled to 1 for 3 days then bottled with castor sugar.

FROGMAN.

It is a K&K. Worse still its a Black Rock Pilsner, 1kg dex, US56 and 60gms hops.

If only I could remember which hops it was (made two batches side by side using different hops).

Fermented at 18 for 2.5 weeks, chilled to 1 for 3 days then bottled with castor sugar.

FROGMAN.

I'll say it again Frogman, I really do think you could provide a post on your method here because you make the best K&K beers I have ever tasted.

I wish you could remember because it really was a good combo. Maybe you could post both?

So, consumption.

Browndogs American Amber

Great deep red colour. To be honest I looked at this beer for a few moments because the colour was just fantastic.

Then I remembered it was one of browndogs and decided to get into it.

Lovely strong hop bite but not lacking the malt background to accompany it. I didn't get quite the same in your face citrus flavours up front as can often be there in American beers, but that's not a criticism, just a comment.

I felt the alcohol in the after effects not the taste, which is a good thing again.

Overall, a very tasty beer of the quality I have come to expect from browndog and brewery assistant Jess...

Chad's Witbier

Aroma: malty and musty aroma up front. Some alcohol in there, and some coriander too. Can also smell hops. Also smell salt.

Appearance: Very good head retention. Puored a bit flat so I managed to get a good head on it by pouring from on high. Wheat colour, Cloudy as it should be.

Flavour: Very complex flavour which is aromatic initially. A touch of sourness. A good deal of bitterness in there makes it finish off bitter, as well as dry.

Mouthfeel: Some creamy/silky texture, as would be expected. Carbonation is medium. medium body. Slight astringency.

Overall: Very complex beer where the aromatics are teding towards phenolic, rather than estery. ie. bit too much coriander and probably a high fermentation temp. I think the hop flavour adds a good complexity to the beer, but would tame it down a bit next time. I can't really describe this too well other than to say I like the complexity, but it is tending towards too busy, if that makes sense? :blink:

Berp.

10 Tidal Pete - Scottish 80/-
Dunno much about this style. Poured a deep red-brown shading toward black with minimal head. Sweet brown sugary notes in the nose and light carbonation. Beer served way too cold - who is responsible! - ooh. Flavours largely caramel and light toffee, very smooth, almost oily, mouthfeel. Definately improved as it warmed - nice on a cold nite

6 FNQ Bunyip - Smoked Porter
Had this after a bottle of Gueuze so my tastebubs were wrecked unfortunately.
Deep brown heading to black with a small persistant white head. Bit of smoke in the aroma. I though I'd detected some funkiness in the flavours as well as smokey malt, coffee and tobacco - but that was probably the gueuze. Thinish palate and mouthfeel. Sang happy birthday as I poured it - the wife thinks I've lost the plot...\

edit sp

Bonj's Bohemian Pilsner

Aroma: Wheat/bready aroma with some underlying hops and subtle malt. Also some honey aroma. A hint of alcohol, but otherwise very clean.

Appearance: Unfortunately no head in my glass (maybe the glass?) Good clarity. Lovely gold colour.

Flavour: Again a wheat flavour appears in the front (dunno if you used any). Overall muted flavours, but I am getting some hops and a small amount of underlying malt.Finish is assertively bitter and quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, some alcohol warmth. Carbonation is medium/high and lends a carbonation bite to the tongue. There is also some astringency here.

Overall: Very clean overall and a good example of a lager. For a Bo Pils, I would prefer more hop flavour and aroma, although the hop bitterness seems spot on. Well done, Bonj!

Berp.

Tyred's Pale Ale

Aroma: Very low aroma overall. All I can get is some hops and some alcohol.

Appearance: Poured with a good-sized off-white head, which fell back to a thin head that ust covers the surface. Colour is a deep red/brown - too dark for a pale ale. Clarity is good.

Flavour: Rich hoppy flavour hits first, followed by a dark malt flavour, quickly leading to a treacle/molasses flavour. Some esters detecctable (but I am usually crap at finding them). Finish is dry and very pleasantly bitter. Excellent balance describes this beer well.

Mouthfeel: medium body. Med/high carbonation with a little carbonation bite. Slight hotness from higher alcohols.

Overall: A beautifully balanced beer. It is dark for the style, and wasn't expecting the treacle. But a very well made and east drinking beer that I would happily drink all night if I wasn't restricted to the one bottle. Well done, Tyred!

Berp.

1. Winkle - Smoked Irish Red Ale

Nice deep amber colour. Small head appearing to last.(I may need to clean my glass)
Couldn't really get any smell out of it, but my nose is completely clogged again.
Tastes wonderful. Very easy to drink. Malty flavour ? Whatever it is it is very nicely matched by a light bitterness.

Another very nice beer.

#9 - you're mine!

Moose's Madness.

Chilled to drinking temp by noon.
Chucked in backpack as a traveller to BNE vs Manly Sean Eagles Game.
Bike ride.
Train ride
Sneaked into Suncorp.
Left Suncorp -(my mate won a ton on the horses and paid for drinks )
Ran back to Roma St.
Sculled a dirty Carlton at the Trans Bar
Ran to platform 7
Was able to open the bottle by Cabultoore.
My new friends on the train all had a sniff at opening (It took that long to open - but worth the wait!)

#9 - it was number ONE! :D :beer: :beerbang: :super:

Where'd you get that?????????????????

I work with a well known twitcher who had some Belgian guests :)
Mort Subite Gueuze - beautiful to look at - sour and honeyed :)

The former Best Cellars, now Lasseters, in the Valley stocks Timmermans Gueze sometimes...

#9 - you're mine!

Moose's Madness.

Chilled to drinking temp by noon.
Chucked in backpack as a traveller to BNE vs Manly Sean Eagles Game.
Bike ride.
Train ride
Sneaked into Suncorp.
Left Suncorp -(my mate won a ton on the horses and paid for drinks )
Ran back to Roma St.
Sculled a dirty Carlton at the Trans Bar
Ran to platform 7
Was able to open the bottle by Cabultoore.
My new friends on the train all had a sniff at opening (It took that long to open - but worth the wait!)

#9 - it was number ONE!

:D SOmehow every now and then one of my case swap beers goes on an adventure!

First PistolPatch takes one across the Nullabour and now this...

At least you got to drink yours though...

Thanks for the review, Berp! Sounds like I did alright for my 3rd AG. Recipe is in the recipe thread. (Post #6).
Looks like some work needed on the hop schedule.

Bonj's Bohemian Pilsner

Aroma: Wheat/bready aroma with some underlying hops and subtle malt. Also some honey aroma. A hint of alcohol, but otherwise very clean.

Appearance: Unfortunately no head in my glass (maybe the glass?) Good clarity. Lovely gold colour.

Flavour: Again a wheat flavour appears in the front (dunno if you used any). Overall muted flavours, but I am getting some hops and a small amount of underlying malt.Finish is assertively bitter and quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, some alcohol warmth. Carbonation is medium/high and lends a carbonation bite to the tongue. There is also some astringency here.

Overall: Very clean overall and a good example of a lager. For a Bo Pils, I would prefer more hop flavour and aroma, although the hop bitterness seems spot on. Well done, Bonj!
Berp.

Back