2008 Hag Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6. The Ol' Boozeroony - Bastardised Amber Ale

P.S. Care to share the recipe with the rest of us ?

Thanks for the comments boys and girls. I only have 2 bottles of it left so it's been going down nicely here too. Here's the vitals...

JW Pale Malt 75%
JW Crystal 17%
Sugar 8% (that's the commercial side coming out in me...)
EK Goldings 60min boil to 27IBU (I used 160g for a 70lt batch)
Cascage at flame out (80g for a 70lt batch)
Safale S-04

Mashed at 65-66 for 60 min
Boil 60min

Pm me if any other details are needed.

Cheers

7 - Balconybrewer's Wit - lovely beer. From memory, I drank it after a couple of hours in the sun mowing the lawn. Perfect refreshment. The classic wit characteristics were present and not over the top. There was a great wheat flavour, with a touch of tartness. Exceptionally drinkable, this was a very nice drop.
couldn't find much wrong with it Les, I enjoyed every drop.

+1 On Scott's comments.

Not quite a Hoegaarden, but on a stinking hot day like today, that's not a bad thing. After spending most of the day sweating it out in the shed, I really needed something like this to cool me down.

Well done Balconybrewer, I really enjoyed this one.

6. The Ol' Boozeroony - Bastardised Amber Ale
This was a great beer. Poured perfectly with fantastic colour and clarity. Great ruby red in colour, which in my opinion if your going to brew an amber make sure it is just like this one.

Looked a million bucks smelt great also. complex malty aromas with toffee and carmael present with a fresh piney resinous cascade lacing.

Full malty body in the mouth with all the more complex malty charater one would expect from the great aroma of this beer. Nice hop balance in this one with a full bodied malt profile that satifies at all levels. I really really liked this one and it definately is still a good summer beer with great sessionability too it. which is an achievement for this style I reckon. Especially with the hot weather we have been getting lately.

Thanks heaps for this one Geoff, it was a top drop mate!!! If I had a 2nd bottle of this one I definately would of enjoyed it straight away.

ALSO anyone that hasn't drank mine the imperial porter, I had one the other night and the complex aroma's are starting to fade a little now I think. So definatley drink soonish. Should get a crap load of dark bitter chocolate and coffee in this one. Definately one to smell as much as drink.

Lee

Thanks Les and Trent for the kind reviews. Trent, you are spot on. For some reason, quite unknown to me now, I made this one 5 IBUs higher than the previous version. I also missed my target gravity by a good 4 points which didn't help the balance either. Les - I'm keen to give 833 a try, I'll grab some if Wyeast release it as a seasonal again this year. Some more malt character will work but I might have to rely on the yeast to do it - the grist was almost 100% Wey Munich II. Probably explains why I didn't hit my gravity too - I heard on Brewstrong a few episodes ago that Munich II hasn't the DP to effectively self convert.

22 - Michael's Hefe

I must have left this one sit too long - the first glass poured brilliantly clear! I quite like my wheaties like this one - balanced towards the clovey phenolics with some tartness in the flavour. You didn't use WB06 did you? Nicely made beer thanks Michael, very refreshing for a day like today.

24 - fear_n_loath's Lager

I drank this one a week or so back and enjoyed it completely. Great malt profile, great hop profile, clean like a lager should be. Great drinking thanks.

23 - HarryB's APA

Nice looking beer, very pleasant new-world hop aroma with a touch of biscuity malt in the background. Nice malt flavour with good bitterness balancing and a most excellent dry finish. A well crafted an easy drinking beer, perfect for the summer. Thanks for putting it in.

<abbrev>
- I'm keen to give 833 a try, I'll grab some if Wyeast release it as a seasonal again this year. Some more malt character will work but I might have to rely on the yeast to do it - the grist was almost 100% Wey Munich II. Probably explains why I didn't hit my gravity too - I heard on Brewstrong a few episodes ago that Munich II hasn't the DP to effectively self convert.

22 - Michael's Hefe

I must have left this one sit too long - the first glass poured brilliantly clear! I quite like my wheaties like this one - balanced towards the clovey phenolics with some tartness in the flavour. You didn't use WB06 did you? Nicely made beer thanks Michael, very refreshing for a day like today.
</abbrev>
G'day Scott,

Mark has the Wyeast Hella-Bock in the fridge at the moment, if you want one...? Same as WLP833
IIRC, this yeast adds a great malty flavour, and the WhiteLabs version is Jamil's fave for the Dunkel style.

Review of #22 - Michael's hefe: Malty, citrussy, tart (if a little sour/everso-slightly acetic). A great quaffing bier to take the edge off the chilli I had for dinner tonight. Slightly out of style, but drinkable (and there when I needed it, so what care I for so-called "style"?)
Very pale and cloudy with a zesty lemon/malt aroma. I should have guzzled it right after mowing the yard, as I reckon it's a great beer for that job.

I'll have to back track tomorrow and post reviews for beers I already sampled.

Well done, Michael. just be aware of the tendency of weizen yeast to tend toward acetic flavours if allowed to get too warm (>22C).

#13 Goatherder's Munich Dunkel
Lovely clear dark copper in colour, looks bloody sensational. Plenty of munich type breadiness and toastiness on the nose, and this translates into the flavour. Very drinkable beer, and that is nothing less than I expect from you, Scott. Clean, well made, no flaws and very drinkable - I can see why you are constantly winning or placing in comps on local, state and national levels.

If I may offer a little criticism, it is that the beer itself has a little too much bitterness (for style). Again, like Les, I would like to see some more malt tin the finish, I think that the bitterness is a little too dominant, drying the finish out more than the aroma suggested. I may be a little pedantic here, but I recall the ones I drank in bavaria had a little less bitterness (though I was probably too drunk the whole time to have known my arsehole from my elbow!) I reckon about 5 IBU less oughta do it, but you are a very good brewer, and will probably have a better idea of what to do.
Either way, its a very good beer, and I am glad that I have 2 bottles of the stuff.

+1 On Trent's comments, except I that I found the bitterness suited the beer very well. The only issue I had with it was a lack of head. It disappeared quickly, but the carbonation was spot on for this style.

Very enjoyable :icon_drool2: - Well done Scott

2. Schooey - Schwarzbier - Bottled 12-12-08, leave for two weeks to carb and throw in the fridge to condition for a bit

Medium sized head that disappeared quickly though I'm becoming suspicious of this glassware. Very dark with hints of red around the sides of the glass.
Roastiness on the nose with some chocolate faintly detectable.
On tasting I was struck by the flavours of sweet malts with roastiness rounding it nicely. Low bitterness with a medium body. A dry finish left me wanting me.
A great lager thanks !!

Pete

After a long, hot trip away for work, I cracked a case swap beer, but I cannot for the life of me work out what it was - it may have been a ring in. It looked like either a 6, 9, 16 or 19, but it wasnt very easy to tell if that is what it was. It was very pale in colour, so I am thinking it was Fingolfins witbier.
ANYWAY, the reason I think it may have been a ring in, is that the only similariteis it had to a witbier was the colour - it was just like a good berliner - alot of lactic sourness (maybe some bret too?), but not offensive in an "infected" way, it was quite well balanced and intentional tasting. If anybody threw in a berliner with 2 funny squiggles on the lid, then may I say that I enjoyed the beer immensely. It was very lactic, dry, low bitterness, it was just what I needed.
And if it WAS an infected beer, man, I wish my infections turned out that well. Seriously.
If it was your berliner, please own up, I would like to know how you went about it.
All the best
Trent

1. n00ch - Doppelbock

Poured a very clear, dark reddish brown with a small off-white head that disappeared quickly.
I detected significant maltiness in the aroma and there could have been some smokiness there somewhere (though I am probably mad).
The beer's promised malt accent was fulfilled with heavy malt flavours everywhere. A full bodied. clean tasting beer with some alcohol warming.
A beer to savour. Thanks Nooch!!!

Pete

4. Leeboy - Imperial Porter Bottled (DRINK MID-DECEMBER or leave for a while)

A catch-up (taken from notes)

A deep black with a thick and creamy tan head ( where did you hide the Nitrogen widget Lee? )
Big hop aroma. Pine ?? and floral notes.
Balance is towards the hops, overpowering the malt to a degree. The medium-full body suited the fantastic head on this beer. Alcohol was well hidden.
All warm and comforting. Perfect for winter, great even on this coolish summer night.
Thanks heaps Lee.

Pete

9. Rurik - Mild -5.2% (I think have to find the brew note book) - Bottled two weeks, drink from now to mid January.

Another catch-up so it is brief..

Quite a dark brown. Good sized head that lasted. Graininess in the taste and a bitterness/astringency??? that was strong.
I would look to move the balance more toward maltiness and away from the bitterness but having said that I prefer sweeter milds.
Thanks for the drop Ben

Pete

23. HarryB - Mild APA - bottled 12/12/08 - 4.5%ish

I have been slack - yet another catchup
Poured with a thin wispish head that vanished quickly. Golden in colour with a slight haze.
A hint of hops in the aroma.
Thin-medium body with a dry finish. The balance leans towards the hops.
Refreshing and great upon a hot day. Thanks Harry

Pete

2. Schooey - Schwarzbier
---
Hit the nail on the head style-wise with just a hint of smooth roastiness balanced with some sweetness.
Poured with a nice head - very enjoyable!

4. Leeboy - Imperial Porter
---
Nice hoppy flavour and aroma with just a hint of chocolate.
Full bodied and nice alcohol. Lovely!

19. Fingolfin - Witbier
---
The first homebrew wit I've had I think and I was very impressed.
More marshmellow than the bubblegum I sometimes associate with wits. Very nice, mellow aroma. Nice cloudy appearance with a good head.

25. Loftboy/MauriceOz - Winding Creek APA (SNPA style APA)
---
Again, this was right on the money style-wise.
Very enjoyable APA, great colour and head. A touch of biscuity sweetness balanced by the American hops.

where/when do you guys meet?

i want to get into home brew

im in town

MAUOMBO

Gday HAGgers

I managed to find my long lost random scribblings from the swap so I thought Id post them before all recollection faded.

Still got MHB's to go but I'll be saving that one for a few months yet.

n00chs Doppelbock Very smooth. Well aged with some great port/sherry and dark fruit flavours. A creamy finish hides the 9.1% so well and the great ruby colour made it a pleasure to look at as well as drink. Thanks n00ch.

Les Am blonde wheat I reckon this one would have been an excellent beer in its day but as suggested it might be getting a little long in the tooth by now with the hop presence starting to fade and a touch of oxidation creeping in. On the upside, it looked great with a big fluffy head, a slight haze and was still holding a well balanced bitterness with a lovely wheat tartness in the finish.

Balconybrewers Witbier A nice, easy drinking beer with subdued esters and a slightly sweet finish. Mouthfeel was a little full and I had to hunt for the citrus but the colour, carbonation and long lasting head were great. I was thinking maybe my bottle was a touch under attenuated with a slight slickness that masked the tart finish I looking for. Then again I should just learn to stop and taste thing for what they are. Great beer anyway.

Ruriks Mild I didnt take notes on this one as I still have the second bottle to go yet. The first one I tried fairly young and found it a bit astringent maybe from dark grains? I put the other one away to smooth out a bit and will try it later.

Goatherders Munich Dunkel Im not sure when I cracked this one but maybe it was a little early. It was undercarbed and the head faded quickly to near flat. However it had a great colour with sweet toast and biscuit malt up front fading to a dry finish with hints of caramel. I would dearly love to get hold of a properly carbed one as I reckon it would do very well in a comp. Thanks GH

Peves Coriander Porter This one reminded me a little of a weizenbock with the spices and dark fruit flavours. The head faded pretty quickly but carbonation seemed ok. Overall a nice smooth ale I quite enjoyed with the added bonus of trying to pick the spice mix as you go. Maybe a touch of nutmeg?

Fingolfins Witbier Awesome looking beer in a tall glass with a huge long lasting fluffy head. Body was nice and thin with a tart acidic finish. Distinct lemon aftertaste instead of the classic orange and got a little overpowering towards the end but a nice drop on a hot day. Thanks Fingolfin.

BigFridges Klsch A bit darker than expected but it is easy to see why Ray Daniels (Designing Great Beers) combines this style with the Alts as there really isnt a great difference between them. Upfront it was a bit fizzy which brought out the peppery hops and toasted/biscuit malt aromas initially but settled into the classic malty dry finish with supporting mild fruit esters. Really enjoyed this one even if you do need a new colour chart. :p

Michael Moselys Hefeweizen Had fantastic colour, carbonation and aroma but seemed to have a long bitterness that lingered into a lemony/citrus aftertaste I had a little trouble with. Might be just personal preference or maybe I was drinking too slowly. My better half thought it was good but not quite suited to my warped taste buds.

HarryBs Mild APA Great hop flavour and aroma. Body was a little thin to support the bitterness but not far off. Very drinkable. Wouldnt mind a few in the fridge for a hot day. Well done.

Fear_n_loath Euro Lager Highly carbed with a soapy head that dissipated very quickly to nothing. Little to no hop or malt aroma with a slight but acceptable sulphur from the yeast. Slightly thin body was well balanced with the bitterness. Had a slight meaty/fruity aftertaste I couldnt quite put my finger on but ok.

Loftboy/MauriceOz APA I liked this one. A little overcarbed but I started it straight out of the fridge so cant complain. Really nice hop flavour and aroma balanced with a great malt backbone as it warmed. A touch more hop aroma wouldnt go astray but great drinking as it is. Thanks MauriceOz/Loftboy. Really enjoyable.

Cheers,

Shmick

where/when do you guys meet?

i want to get into home brew

im in town

MAUOMBO

Hi MAUOMBO,

HAG is a fairly informal group, there is no actual reoccurring when or where to speak of.

If you drop in to Marks Home Brew shop ,18 Maitland Rd, Islington 2296, you will meet at least 1 or 2 HAG members (usually more though). Mark or Ben will steer you in the right direction, with info on HAG get togethers and brewing in general.

Offy

I got a bit slack with my reviews, because most of the other beers have received better reviews then I could offer (and I agreed with them anyway).
That said I have found the quality of this swap outstanding.
Thanks to everyone who participated, and for those who didnt you really missed out.

Off/y

OK guys. Sorry for my tardiness in replying to this post. Hope I can offer some credible comments here.

Trents-AIPA

Mate, this was a nice beer to drink. Not overly hoppy on the nose and I thought well ballanced with the bitterness/Malt ratio. Nice firm bitterness there but not over the top. The color as has been mentioned was darkish, but I don't think too dark to fall in to what I think the style calls for. Thanks Trent.

Schmick- Sissyweisen

Pours clear with the pink tint. I compare the color to a sparkling Rose'. Even color all the way through with a nice head. Nice beer that was not as tart as I was expecting. I enjoyed this one. The last beer along the lines of this that I tried was a Rasberry wheat beer from the Mad Brewers. After it I opened yours with a little trepidation but I am glad to say they were very different in taste.

Schooey- Schwarzbier

Enjoyable beer. Small head that lasted. Poured clear despite the dark color of the beer. Nice flavor, not overly roasty or bitter. Thankyou for this addition, always nice to try some of the different styles of Schwarzbiers.

Loftboy- American Wheat

A nice pleasant beer to drink. Good Head that lasts well. Clean aroma and taste. Very clear and a beautiful light color. Taste was very clean, slightly grainy in my thoughts. May be the wheat I was tasting but I am not overly familiar with wheat beers. An enjoyable beer to drink. Thanks.

nOOch- Doppelbock

Pours a nice dark color, that is verty clear coming from the bottle. Small head that lasted. Spicy in the aroma. Nice deep flavor that seemed to have a faint spiciness to it. Slight warmth to the beer and a good body. Not over the top with the alcohol warmth though. A good beer for a cold night. Wish I had saved it for tonight.

The Ol' Boozeroney - Amber Ale

Pours nice and clear with a small long lasting head. Good aroma of hops when cold. Nice malty taste also when cold. As it warms the aroma seems to go more malty, and there is something in the flavor of the beer as it warms I cannot put my finger on. Overall a beer that I really liked.

Loftboy/Maurice - Winding Creek APA.

Good aroma and Clarity. Head builds quite high to start, but dies down to a smaller head that lasts. Not overly assertive in bitterness, or aroma. Just hangs back without being a showoff. An enjoyable beer.

Thanks guys. Sorry for my lack of descriptives. I have really enjoyed the beers so far. I have tried a couple more than what I have written on here, but cannot find any notes to provide comments.

Cheers,
Head

MHB, just had your beer, well done, can I have a case of it.
uh uh. Sorry, Buddy. I'll have you know that I reserved the first case, when he makes the next double batch.
MHB may wish to let know to get back in line and he may also choose to let you how many are ahead of you.
I tasted one at Schooey's on the night b4 the AHB Sydney pub crawl.
I encourage people to attend, or do we have enough good pubs in Newie if we wanted to stage one of our own?
Start at Murray's, then where?

Hopefully I'll be fit for recording my thoughts on Mark's ale tomorrow night.

Laterz,
Seth

Back